• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
Ha ha..she was a cutey for sure. I dug her big time. Smart as a whip too but alas although we were both Italian and I think that was her main attraction dating me....we were not cut from the same cloth apparently..my take. A few months after breaking up I discovered she met her current husband and had a child. Was happy for her. Seem like more of a complementary couple.

I know the vibe, hombre. I'm also Italian, and there are some Italian-Americans who are "casually" Italian and others who lean in super heavy into the heritage. Some manifest this in more of a "home front/seven fishes" Italian and others who cop a nightclub dago caricature.

Reactions: Runner77

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I know the vibe, hombre. I'm also Italian, and there are some Italian-Americans who are "casually" Italian and others who lean in super heavy into the heritage. Some manifest this in more of a "home front/seven fishes" Italian and others who cop a nightclub dago caricature.
The whole Soprano caricature while real (i.e. DeAngelo's dad..lol) does irk me. My dad was in the Fashion Industry and had a professional job and people would still ask him if he knew anybody in the mafia or assumed because he did well financially it was via ill gotten gains. As far as Simeone's daughter...it was clear to me she wanted to make her dad happy by being with an Italian guy. She liked when I spoke with him etc. and he seemed cool with me but somewhat aloof but ultimately my impression was that I didn't check off all the boxes for her. Never met her mom bc her and her dad had a contentious divorce which was a famous case in PA and became legal precedent with respect to prenuptial agreements. The mom sounded kind of kooky anyway and was addicted to plastic surgery. Anyway, I was bummed she broke things off...she didn't even marry an Italian..lol.

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
The whole Soprano caricature while real (i.e. DeAngelo's dad..lol) does irk me. My dad was in the Fashion Industry and had a professional job and people would still ask him if he knew anybody in the mafia or assumed because he did well financially it was via ill gotten gains. As far as Simeone's daughter...it was clear to me she wanted to make her dad happy by being with an Italian guy. She liked when I spoke with him etc. and he seemed cool with me but somewhat aloof but ultimately my impression was that I didn't check off all the boxes for her. Never met her mom bc her and her dad had a contentious divorce which was a famous case in PA and became legal precedent with respect to prenuptial agreements. The mom sounded kind of kooky anyway and was addicted to plastic surgery. Anyway, I was bummed she broke things off...she didn't even marry an Italian..lol.

Who knows? Maybe she's in a starter marriage.

Reactions: landsbergfan

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Who knows? Maybe she's in a starter marriage.
Who isn't these days..lol. Meh... some things need to remain private but maybe it was best...

I hear her on NPR sometimes being interviewed about climate related stuff. She was in public advocacy. Not going to lie though when I hear her interviewed reminds me of why I dug her..smarts and beauty. Not an easy find...oh well.

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
Who isn't these days..lol. Meh... some things need to remain private but maybe it was best...

I hear her on NPR sometimes being interviewed about climate related stuff. She was in public advocacy. Not going to lie though when I hear her interviewed reminds me of why I dug her..smarts and beauty. Not an easy find...oh well.

We all have that one who got away - even when we are happy in our present situation.

Reactions: Embiid

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
We all have that one who got away - even when we are happy in our present situation.
yes we do @Magua

giphy.gif

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
what are your thoughts on fracking?
This is a kind of a can of worms type discussion, so here are cliff notes. I'll be happy to answer any other questions surrounding it, but there's just so much to discuss.

I tend to be against it, simply because it's not implemented safely. There are ways to do it 'safely', well so that the negative risks to human health are significantly minimized, but that's usually not the way its done. Main issues are:

1) The injection fluid is proprietary, and the composition of it does not need to be shared. But generally, there are harmful compounds in these fluids.
2) The formations that house the natural gas reservoirs are very deep in PA - thousands of feet in some instances. Typically they install casing into the borehole, which is steel pipe all the way down to the bottom of the hole. However, they do not always put casing the whole way down. When this is the case, there is no way to determine where the injection fluid is going to go. This isn't often the case, but does happen.
3) They attempt to pump out the injection fluid, but they are never able to remove all of the fluid. There is residual injection fluid left in the formation. Normally, this is very deep and the aquifer is usually not used, most drinking water wells are no where near that deep.
4) The disposal of the fracking fluid is either through treatment, or just injecting it back into the ground and leave it there. You run into the same issues as mentioned above.
5) I've been on many of these sites. The drillers and workers don't really give a shit about the environment. They don't follow the health and safety plans, or the environmental protection plans. They move from Site to Site. For example, the last time I was up there (this was 2015-2016 timeframe), many of the drillers just came from North (or South - I can't remember exactly) Dakota because that's where the work was. Then, that work dried up so they packed their family in their trailer and moved them to PA for 6 months. These guys don't give a shit, they just move forward.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Thanks. I hope everyone is paying attention to this. Virginia has hot springs. How viable would geothermal power be?
I can't speak on geothermal power, but geothermal climate control is usually pretty viable regardless of where you are. You either drill a well or series of wells where the water is drawn out, pumped through the house, and returned to the ground, or you have a closed loop which moves the water through a long winding circuit that either picks up heat from the surrounding soil (winter) or bleeds it off (summer) to keep the building at a constant temperature.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
I can't speak on geothermal power, but geothermal climate control is usually pretty viable regardless of where you are. You either drill a well or series of wells where the water is drawn out, pumped through the house, and returned to the ground, or you have a closed loop which moves the water through a long winding circuit that either picks up heat from the surrounding soil (winter) or bleeds it off (summer) to keep the building at a constant temperature.
It is great technology you just need space to do it

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
This is a kind of a can of worms type discussion, so here are cliff notes. I'll be happy to answer any other questions surrounding it, but there's just so much to discuss.

I tend to be against it, simply because it's not implemented safely. There are ways to do it 'safely', well so that the negative risks to human health are significantly minimized, but that's usually not the way its done. Main issues are:

1) The injection fluid is proprietary, and the composition of it does not need to be shared. But generally, there are harmful compounds in these fluids.
2) The formations that house the natural gas reservoirs are very deep in PA - thousands of feet in some instances. Typically they install casing into the borehole, which is steel pipe all the way down to the bottom of the hole. However, they do not always put casing the whole way down. When this is the case, there is no way to determine where the injection fluid is going to go. This isn't often the case, but does happen.
3) They attempt to pump out the injection fluid, but they are never able to remove all of the fluid. There is residual injection fluid left in the formation. Normally, this is very deep and the aquifer is usually not used, most drinking water wells are no where near that deep.
4) The disposal of the fracking fluid is either through treatment, or just injecting it back into the ground and leave it there. You run into the same issues as mentioned above.
5) I've been on many of these sites. The drillers and workers don't really give a shit about the environment. They don't follow the health and safety plans, or the environmental protection plans. They move from Site to Site. For example, the last time I was up there (this was 2015-2016 timeframe), many of the drillers just came from North (or South - I can't remember exactly) Dakota because that's where the work was. Then, that work dried up so they packed their family in their trailer and moved them to PA for 6 months. These guys don't give a shit, they just move forward.
Interesting to hear your perspective.

Full disclosure I started my career fracking and later got into monitoring where the fracturing was occurring so I have a completely different background and thought process on the entire situation. I understand it is a can of worms, but I hadn't really talked to anyone in geology outside of the industry before, which was why I asked.

Reactions: Magua and VladDrag

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
@VladDrag If I give you some of my best rocks, can you speak with them? How many rock languages do you know? I need to learn their true names to unleash their power. Could you ask them?
I'm fluent in metamorphic petrology, and can understand sedimentology. You're on own when it comes to any igneous rock.

I know a guy who can help you with the rest...

1673462617511.png

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
One of the cool things about my job (geologist) is that I get to see a lot of unique places and meet unique people.

On this one Site I had to work at in Virginia I was collecting soil vapor samples inside of a rundown warehouse, separated into three of four sub-buildings. I didn't realize it was owned by a gentleman who owned ~10 car dealerships. He had done very well for himself.

We walk into garage of the warehouse and the property manager says to my team, this warehouse houses Mr. X's private car collection, so please be careful in certain areas. I was assuming there would be ~5-6 nice cars. He opens the door to the first room, and there are ~30 immaculate antique cars, one of them being a 64' black GTO.

He opens the next door, and it's filled with 20 race cars of various types. Apparently, he had a race team, and all of these cars were previously raced. The guy asked me how much I thought the car collection was worth, and I said something like 1-2 million (not a huge car guy, just like the look of a few cars). He laughed and said there were engines worth over $500K alone!

At that point, we had to pause what we were doing, because we couldn't in that place without potentially damaging any of the cars. The property manager had to put sheets, and blankets down so we could do our work. It was pretty awesome sight!

That is an extraordinary experience. Good luck with your profession.

Reactions: VladDrag

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
@Hollywood Cannon

Wonder how much of Tom Brady and Giselle's stuff is actually shares they BOUGHT vs shared that they were paid for the endorsements. If its mostly the latter you didn't really 'lose' investment then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad