102nd overall Alexis Vanier.... absolute Steal

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Nice write up.

I think many didn't know he was playing through an injury for half the season.

He absolutely has to improve his skating if he's going to make it at the next level but he's a very low risk, very high reward player in the 4th.

ScottyDont

Aug 30, 2010
Philly (<3 in SJ)
Though I'm glad we traded Murray when we did, it'd be nice to have someone like him on the blue line again. Murray standing people up at the blue line was always fun. Hopefully Vanier can be a better version of him.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Definitely an interesting situation. As mentioned, there was the injury, but also prior to that he was doing absolutely incredible offensively. There was a bit of a feeling of "who is this kid?" with some of the scouts I talked to.
And then the injury happens and the offense dries up. So I'm not sure how many guys were able to get a really accurate view of the player and what he offers when he's 100%.
This could really work out nicely for the Sharks. Great value for a 4th rounder.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
That highlight reel showed him turn the puck over about 20 times – most of them in his own zone, leading to scoring chances.

There's got to be better film on this guy. :laugh:

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
damn when you see him in under armor in that vid he looks like he's built as a 27 year old not 17...for sure a good pick, either he develops his game and it translates, or he's a good player to protect other young guys in the minors

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I think he's more of a Jake Muzzin type than Morin. He's not a defensive dman. He's a big offensive dman with a physical edge to his game.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
He's still at least 3/4 years away from us even seeing him. Looks like a slow moving turnover machine haha

5H4RK5

May 3, 2007
Nice offensive shooting needs to work on discipline in terms of defense. Needs to take care of his zone skating backwards tends to bend into other defenders zone and try to defend the whole oncoming rush single handedly. He looks to be a natural shooting the puck but they should get a defensive coach to work on his D add more nuances and push him a bit to use his size so he can cover his end more responsibly.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
In the same way we shouldn't condemn a pick right off the bat, I'm not going to get carried away and claim we have a steal until we see it down the line.

Most of our armchair draft analysis comes from looking at a guy's ranking and comparing it to where he was picked. This is flawed, sadly.

The proof will be in the pudding!

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
In the same way we shouldn't condemn a pick right off the bat, I'm not going to get carried away and claim we have a steal until we see it down the line.

Most of our armchair draft analysis comes from looking at a guy's ranking and comparing it to where he was picked. This is flawed, sadly.

The proof will be in the pudding!

Not all the time. Some folks think it could be a steal because of his skill set. He has one flaw that sticks out and that is his skating isn't at an NHL level. His size, shot, hockey sense and mean streak are what he's known for. This was an excellent high reward/medium risk pick by the Sharks.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Any news if he will be signed ?

I don't know that his skating is up to par to play in the pros but there haven't even been whispers about what their plans are with Vanier.

I wouldn't be surprised if they chose not to sign him though.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I don't know that his skating is up to par to play in the pros but there haven't even been whispers about what their plans are with Vanier.

I wouldn't be surprised if they chose not to sign him though.

How does this work exactly?

So if we don't sign him, does that mean he is free to sign with any other team? Also, if we do sign him, does that mean he needs to play in the AHL (or NHL) next year?

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
How does this work exactly?

So if we don't sign him, does that mean he is free to sign with any other team? Also, if we do sign him, does that mean he needs to play in the AHL (or NHL) next year?

He's 20 already so he'd become a UFA.

If they sign him to a standard ELC he can approve a loan to Allen (ECHL) but he can't go back to the Q.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
He's just too slow honestly.

It worked for Doug Murray for so many years because he was smart enough and aware enough to not need to be a speedster to get around.

Alexis just doesn't keep his feet moving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad