10 Reasons for Hope in '14-'15

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I'm a cup half full kinda guy. Even if that cup may be half filled with a snake venom molotov cocktail.

A lot of things have to happen for the Jets to make the playoffs this year. But, I think the Wheels are in motion, the guys are looking Buff at TC, and Hutch springs eternal in the face of a new season.

Here are 10 reasons for hope.

1. Ditch the Flab
A few players have mentioned Maurice's bag skate "scare tactics" at the end of last season. It looks like the team overall has responded, and shown up in better shape to TC. Fitness is hard to overestimate. Not just for the obvious advantages of increased physical play, but also a tired body leads to a tired mind, and increased mistakes and injuries.

2. Bottom Forwards: Battle Royal
There's a lot of players competing for those bottom F roles. This is great news, even if we do lose a few players to waivers. We can pick the best. The increased competition will amp up everyone's game. These slots ain't up for grabs, you gotta show up and take it.

3. Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Wheeler

If Wheels can come out strong this year, this will have a huge effect on the momentum (and points) for the team. I don't know about you, but I'm feelin' it. The "A", the Wheeler interviews, his talk of mental preparation before a game; I'm just getting a sense of confidence from the man.

4. Sensei Maurice
The upshot on Maurice is that his system takes better advantage of the Jets' natural talents. It is less rigid, more creative, more flow. The willow tree that bends, not breaks, in the storm. It feels like there's buy in from the players, which adds its own advantages.

5. The Hutch Factor
If the stars align, Hutch not only shows himself to be the future of the Jets' GT, but this also pushes Pavs to up his game and put up his best season. We get a "play who's hot" tandem.

6. Third Line's the Charm
This is the first season I can recall where we have the potential for 3 solid scoring lines. 8 of those slots are filled with solid talent, and there's a good fight for the last.

7. Citizen Kane
Kane has been shuffled around a lot. He's had to play with some sub-par line mates. I am excited to see what Kane can do if he stays healthy a full season, and hones his game with 2 consistent, strong line mates.

8. Prospects: Thar's gold in them hills.
There's always the chance one of our prospects kicks down the door and lights the place up. There was a lot to be excited about at the young stars tourney. Maybe it happens right out of TC and the expo games. Maybe it's an injury opening down the road.

9 The Sheifele Cocoon
Sheifele started last year pretty slow, but emerged in the late season. Like a butterfly finding its wings after emerging from a dark cocoon. Butterflies don't go back into their cocoon, so by this infallible logic, Sheifele will be strong all season. Fly, Sheifele, fly!

10. Whittlin' the Dead Weight
This off-season lacked the mythical mega trade that instantly solved all our problems. But there feels like a subtle refinement. Instead of Seto, Wright, and Jokinen (who, to be fair had a decent final season), we have Perrault, Galiardi, and maybe room for a prospect or two.

A lot of teams get stuck with their dead weight. We managed to whittle off a bunch of ours (with one notable exception, but let's move on...). Fresh, green sprigs of life are filling their place.

GJG!

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Everyone of your points could be right. Everyone of your points could be wrong.

Chances are it falls somewhere in the middle. Hopefully that's not enough to cost us a franchise player in the 2015 draft..

Just finished watching Cape Breton play Charlottetown...I want Sprong on our team..

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Sprong? I want winz baby!

Nice thread Puckatron - it'll be interesting to see how many of those things come to fruition. For sure some of them will - if all of them do, welcome to a season similar to the Avs last year. ;)

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I have a similar post scheduled at AIH for the end of the month:

10 reasons for optimism

Probably running a mirror piece as well called:

10 reasons for pessimism

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Everyone of your points could be right. Everyone of your points could be wrong.

Chances are it falls somewhere in the middle. Hopefully that's not enough to cost us a franchise player in the 2015 draft..

With the % down to 25% for the bottom team to get the top pick there is no guarantee of anything in the draft anymore. So the talk of "tanking" has lost even more merit since that tweak to the system. The Jets "usual" finishing spot now has a very slightly higher % of getting the pick. (than it used to)

Also our doom and gloom of our stand pat strategy VS the loading up of our divisional foes...

Every year a large % of summer free agent signings blow up in the face of the team who shelled out more dough than they should have.

I'm thinking at least a couple of those BIG Central Division signings are going to crap out. (That's my glass half full take)

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I have to admit, there's a thin vein of optimism pulsing away inside my pessimistic heart the past few days as well. It's a feint hope but I think there's a chance for the Jets to pull off a surprise play-off appearance this season.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Everyone of your points could be wrong.

Impossible. Puckatron is never wrong.

For sure some of them will - if all of them do, welcome to a season similar to the Avs last year. ;)

I'm thinkin' I'd be ok with that.

10 reasons for optimism

Great minds, and all that! How similar are our lists?

I have to admit, there's a thin vein of optimism pulsing away

'Tis the season for irrational optimism. ;)
Plus, this board needs a little yin to it's yang.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
9 The Sheifele Cocoon
Sheifele started last year pretty slow, but emerged in the late season. Like a butterfly finding its wings after emerging from a dark cocoon. Butterflies don't go back into their cocoon, so by this infallible logic, Sheifele will be strong all season. Fly, Sheifele, fly!

Inspiring!

9rgiuYp.jpg

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
With the % down to 25% for the bottom team to get the top pick there is no guarantee of anything in the draft anymore. So the talk of "tanking" has lost even more merit since that tweak to the system.

The Jets should come out swinging. If things are dismal by the TD, start making some changes then. While selling off some vets and playing prospects is no guarantee of a tank, it's still likely time to shake things up a bit.

Although that decision get more complicated if we're doing poorly primarily as a result of high injuries or GT.

And there's always the dreaded "just a couple points below the playoff line" scenario...

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Awesome job! :handclap:

All very good points and I agree. I think they will be better than most people think this year. As in pushing for the wildcard at least. The pieces are there.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I'm a big fan of Puckatron 3000.

'edit'

oh, btw, you know the best thing about this season?

I don't even care if we suck - we get a shot at McDavid or another franchise player talent. If we do well, this could be the beginning of our successful future.

Last edited:

Derfel*

Great thread. Optimism is a better state of mind for this season.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Great thread. Optimism is a better state of mind for this season.

I agree.

I also think that Puckatron list doesn't look half bad.

But if you think this thread sticks closely to the "optimism" state of mind... :laugh: We also need a thread for "Despair".

Last edited:

BennyTheJet

Oct 4, 2011
Toronto
Great post. This could be the best team the Jets have iced since coming to Winnipeg. If they put it all together will that be enough to get a playoff spot in a crazy talented division? I have a good feeling. :yo:

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Like the optimism.

Truly think the team will take strides, and have a new mindset. Goaltending will be key. Let's see what we get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad