Player Discussion #10 Jonathan Huberdeau

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
You'd really thing getting ready to go ape shit on a guy would come from more than 8 games. Some people need to remember it's an82 game season with whole new guys making up the core of the roster lmao

The "`ape shit" comment was hyperbolic and a joke of what could be. I realize it's early but after 9 games its a slow start regardless.

Reactions: Mazatt

Betelgeuse

Sep 21, 2018
Nothing constructive.. just a big oof, biggest point decline between seasons in NHL history (excluding retirements and injuries)?

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I have seen so little of anything elite yet I'm amazed the Panthers fanbase managed their rabid argument for him being in Hart conversations for as long as they did last year. I love eating crow so please prove me wrong Hubes (not that I've thrown you under the best with my full might yet).

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Huberdeau will take off in about two years when Sutter steps down/is fired. Maybe sooner if Sutter stops being an stubborn idiot.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
I have seen so little of anything elite yet I'm amazed the Panthers fanbase managed their rabid argument for him being in Hart conversations for as long as they did last year. I love eating crow so please prove me wrong Hubes (not that I've thrown you under the best with my full might yet).

1. Barkov handling the tough match-ups
2. Tons of PP points with other players carrying the puck through the neutral zone
3. Run and gun style under Coach Q and later Brunette, with zero care for defensive play and again with other players carrying the puck

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
1. Barkov handling the tough match-ups
2. Tons of PP points with other players carrying the puck through the neutral zone
3. Run and gun style under Coach Q and later Brunette, with zero care for defensive play and again with other players carrying the puck
Huberdeau was over a ppg before Q came in.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
We had a top 3 zone entry guy in the league who did 90% of the puck carrying and generating offense through the NZ leave. Remember during the contract negotiations Volica brought up that Gaudreau's camp wanted the Flames to bring in another puck carrier?

We ended up losing Gaudreau and while Kadri was good at puck carrying, it's still a massive downgrade to go from instant offense Gaudreau to Naz. The deficit is very clear on the ice, I remember reading that the team generates very few dangerous (cross slot, low to high, etc) passes and I think a large part of it is how slow of a team we have. Rather than generating odd man rushes the opposing team is often set and prepared to defend.

Huberdeau's not Gaudreau. I don't think he's even the same calibre of player and I think his contract is awful. He's a true winger in that he needs someone to get him the puck in space so he can use his elite passing to find lanes and set up teammates. However, I do think he's going to get better and I think that between injuries and coming from a team that plays with pace (having more than 2 guys comfortable at carrying the puck helps with this) he hasn't really been given a great opportunity to succeed so far.

Reactions: Nevins and Trio123

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Massive disappointment. Not even worth his current contract, nvm the new one

Btw, thanks to Sutter, he is feeding Coleman. Wtf. He can feed the dude all day long and nothing will happen.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002

I dont recall any of us Panthers fans seriously calling him for Hart. He wasnt even the best player on our team

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I dont recall any of us Panthers fans seriously calling him for Hart. He wasnt even the best player on our team

Maybe it was just a few in the main board threads. He definitely was getting support for it. I guess the points were there.

Betelgeuse

Sep 21, 2018
Has he critiqued himself or acknowledged his performance in any pressers?

Edit: To be clear, I think he has turned the corner a bit and is playing better. I am more interested in seeing what he says about himself.

Last edited:

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Comment from the other site made me chuckle, then pause for a second

Flames traded Doug Gilmour for Gary Leeman. AGAIN.
Well at least this time we have other assets in this deal - Weegar, 1st and Schwindt. Also Huberdeau will get us points once Sutter is gone. Just won’t be at previous or Tkachuk level. But I wonder if there was a New Jersey deal that would of given us Holtz and one of Nemec/Cooley or Wright.

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018
Well at least this time we have other assets in this deal - Weegar, 1st and Schwindt. Also Huberdeau will get us points once Sutter is gone. Just won’t be at previous or Tkachuk level. But I wonder if there was a New Jersey deal that would of given us Holtz and one of Nemec/Cooley or Wright.
the 1st is gone to montreal for offloading Monahan

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
The guy plays with Milan Lucic, the f*** do people expect. And Kadri and him don't mesh at all IMO. He needs to playing with proper triggermen like Toffoli, Lindholm or Mangiapane.

Do what works, he played with two speed transition guys in Florida, give him Zary (C) and Pelletier and let him do what he does (will literally never happen unless one of us coached the Flames).

And I don't know if it makes that big of a difference but he is also playing RW and Lucic is playing left. Like come on, you're setting your most prized player up for complete failure.

My biggest gripe with him is he is Tanguay 2.0, he will not shoot even if in a prime shooting location. You play with Lucic, shoot the puck man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad