'10 draft eligible Germans in the CHL?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Aside from Phillip Grubauer, are there any other Germans playing Jr Hockey in Canada that are eligible? I'm trying to compile a list of the Germans in the draft (because San Jose loves drafting Germans :laugh) and while it's easy enough to comb the CSB's European list, there's no way to tell what players on the NA lists are from specific other countries.

thanks.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
just to pass this along as it's a neat feature, it doesnt answer your question fully but it will help anyone in the future looking for this kind of information:

go to eliteprospects.com

choose Leagues from the top (in this case we'll choose the WHL)
http://eliteprospects.com/league_home.php?leagueid=36

if you scroll down, you'll see Player Nationalities within the league. granted this will include players possibly drafted already but you can check out the list of the players by clicking on the corresponding "Players" link next to the country flag.

as you may see there are zero Germans in the WHL

doing the same for the QMJHL and the OHL you will see their are 2 germans in each league respectively. the aforementioned Grubauer and Albetshauer, as well as Toni Ritter (Q) and Edijs Leitans-Rinke (O)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Grubauer is draft eligible???

Yep. He's down the draft rankings a bit (14th NA goalie by CSB, 47th overall by The Hockey News, #3 goalie by ISS) but I'm hoping the Sharks can maybe target him in the 3rd if only because they love drafting German goalies and he could spend another year or two in Jr, which leaves the Sharks time to sift through a good chunk of their current prospect crop. He also sounds like a typical Shark goalie draft pick (they love athletic, quick goalies and figure they can work on any technical rawness)

EDIT: thanks for the link, john. I never thought to check if eliteprospects could do something like that.

Kevin Malone

Jul 3, 2009
Yep. He's down the draft rankings a bit (14th NA goalie by CSB, 47th overall by The Hockey News, #3 goalie by ISS) but I'm hoping the Sharks can maybe target him in the 3rd if only because they love drafting German goalies and he could spend another year or two in Jr, which leaves the Sharks time to sift through a good chunk of their current prospect crop. He also sounds like a typical Shark goalie draft pick (they love athletic, quick goalies and figure they can work on any technical rawness)

EDIT: thanks for the link, john. I never thought to check if eliteprospects could do something like that.

If Grubauer has a solid Memorial Cup I wouldn't be surprised if he starts to rise quite a bit in the rankings. He was absolutley unreal during the OHL finals and played a lot better during the second half of the WCF.

The only issue with Grubauer is during the regular season in Windsor he faced very few shots and could never get in a rhythem. Once he started getting more shots on net his play picked up big time. He seems to thrive when he's getting lots of rubber thrown his way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad