GDT: 10/3/13 - Los Angeles @ Minnesota - 7:00 PM CDT - NBCSN/TSN2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
They have two elite players who are about 25 years old, one of whom is a generational talent. Very different than signing 30+ year olds to long term deals. Also, note they have TWO guys signed, not four.

The better way to do it IMO is to have your talent spaced out. If you look at Chicago:

Hossa = 34
Sharp = 31
Toews = 25
Kane = 24
Saad = 20

They add a number of guys to fill out roles then move them when they need bigger contracts. Granted Hossa is an elite talent, but their guys are still pretty close to mid-twenties. In theory, they could lose Hossa and Sharp in 3-5 years and still have a couple elite guys close to their prime.

If you look at the Wild:

Koivu = 30
Parise = 29
Pominville = 30
Coyle = 21
Nino = 21
Granlund = 21

HUGE gap between the kids and the vets. Although, Koivu will be up in four years and Pominville in five. So the only one the Wild will be stuck with long term is Parise. I still wouldn't want Parise and Vanek at $7-8m each in their late 30's though.

It really is a team built for success right now. The question is how big that success will be.

Last edited:

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
They have two elite players who are about 25 years old, one of whom is a generational talent. Very different than signing 30+ year olds to long term deals. Also, note they have TWO guys signed, not four.

The better way to do it IMO is to have your talent spaced out. If you look at Chicago:

Hossa = 34
Sharp = 31
Toews = 25
Kane = 24
Saad = 20

They add a number of guys to fill out roles then move them when they need bigger contracts. Granted Hossa is an elite talent, but their guys are still pretty close to mid-twenties. In theory, they could lose Hossa and Sharp in 3-5 years and still have a couple elite guys close to their prime.

If you look at the Wild:

Koivu = 30
Parise = 29
Pominville = 30
Coyle = 21
Nino = 21
Granlund = 21

HUGE gap between the kids and the vets. Although, Koivu will be up in four years and Pominville in five. So the only one the Wild will be stuck with long term is Parise. I still wouldn't want Parise and Vanek at $7-8m each in their late 30's though.

It really is a team built for success right now. The question is how big that success will be.

They have 3 but thanks for playing.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
an aside...what was the deal with that early whistle Heatley goal last night? what was the explanation on TV? They let play go on a lot longer for several other net front scrums so just curious if there was something more to it? i mean, there wasn't even a scrum in that one...Quick didn't have it.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
an aside...what was the deal with that early whistle Heatley goal last night? what was the explanation on TV? They let play go on a lot longer for several other net front scrums so just curious if there was something more to it? i mean, there wasn't even a scrum in that one...Quick didn't have it.

Refs lost sight of the puck? :dunno:

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
well it sucks he doesn't get acknowledgement for it. That'd be the game. edit: was sitting right behind Quick at that point. wasn't really all that close...puck never stopped moving.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Just saw the reply on NHLN. Looked like Quick had it, then let it drop when the ref blew his whistle.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
I thought they played an incredible game. Just couldn't score. If they would have kept up the same pressure from the first 2 periods, I'm sure they could have scored one in the third. But, alas, they could not.

Wild totally ****ed up on Carter's goal. Everyone just stood around.

All I know is, if we play that for 81 games, the playoffs aren't even a questions. It'll be whether or not we can contend.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
I thought they played an incredible game. Just couldn't score. If they would have kept up the same pressure from the first 2 periods, I'm sure they could have scored one in the third. But, alas, they could not.

Wild totally ****ed up on Carter's goal. Everyone just stood around.

All I know is, if we play that for 81 games, the playoffs aren't even a questions. It'll be whether or not we can contend.

Agreed. It was the season opener, tho. Good game nevertheless, entertaining as well... atleast from a Wild perspective.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
my thoughts on the game:

-we controlled the game for 2 periods.

-coyle looked like a boss

-nino and ballard looked better than I was expecting

-heatley still sucks

-pp looks a little better, I like the passing b/t our defense and the one guy at the top of the circle

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
Coyle was great offensively but not as great defensively, imo. It's a better situation than other way around.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Coyle was great offensively but not as great defensively, imo. It's a better situation than other way around.

likewise came away with this impression. maybe product of the matchup, and frankly i think this is sort of what Yeo is aiming for--getting the second line a little freer of pressure.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
This is going to be a fun season if people are already this angry.

The Wild aren't a fast team, and the NHL is moving towards faster, counter attacking teams as everybody tries to follow the Blackhawks. Well, that is going to last until most teams are filled with Nick Leddy defenseman and some team goes out and dominates with big, power forwards. That is just kind of how sports work.

The Wild have made their bed with big, powerful centers. Far too soon to claim that isn't a successful strategy.

While the team does need more speed, that's called dumping Heatley and adding Zucker. That single move would be massive in the speed department.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny

The Wild aren't a fast team, and the NHL is moving towards faster, counter attacking teams as everybody tries to follow the Blackhawks. Well, that is going to last until most teams are filled with Nick Leddy defenseman and some team goes out and dominates with big, power forwards. That is just kind of how sports work.

The Wild have made their bed with big, powerful centers. Far too soon to claim that isn't a successful strategy.

While the team does need more speed, that's called dumping Heatley and adding Zucker. That single move would be massive in the speed department.

and the Goals Against department! edit: they're just waiting for Coyle to have a bad game, then the Fans will be appeased by having a new favorite called up. :)

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.

If you recall from last year in the playoffs, we found a blueprint for beating the Hawks: hit the hell out of them. It took the hawks completely off their game and let us dominate them for the whole one game we used that strategy. Sigh. The Wild are still very well equipped to follow that blueprint. It remains to be seen if this year is the year they finally learn what it means to actually check people.

Not gonna get my hopes up.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
If you recall from last year in the playoffs, we found a blueprint for beating the Hawks: hit the hell out of them. It took the hawks completely off their game and let us dominate them for the whole one game we used that strategy.
Boston used it successfully in the beginning of the finals against the Hawks as well. One would think Boston would stick to what worked. Especially after using it a couple years prior successfully against the Canucks to earn a ring.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
From what I saw from this game, it looked like our favorite squad is going to be more physical in general. I hope what I saw from this game (payback fights, more tough play in crucial areas, finishing checks) continues into the season and it wasn't just because they were fired up for the opener and the return of Brown and his horrible hit from last year.

I'm at the game tonight, with another team who took out a Wild player (Zucker) last year, so it'll be interesting to see what kind of fire they come out with when the Ducks try to do all their chippy crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad