GDT: 10/21/23 - 7:00PM EDT - Toronto vs Tampa Bay

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Pittsburgh, Washington, and Columbus

Pittsburgh skated rings around us and I thought if anything encouraged the idea to open up more and get faster. Point taken on Washington and Columbus, we had no answer for them when they employed their conservative trap to perfection.

I personally think beating the Isles in those gritty series cemented our commitment to winning tight hockey games. Unfortunately I also think in the process we've also committed too much to it, we don't have the players to win those games right now.

Reactions: T REX and Hoek

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

He certainly makes it sound like he's not instructing the team to play conservative and that they are doing it on their own.

When he says "we have to learn as a team" not to do that, i.e. playing without energy....I mean the core of this team has been together for a long long time, is this really something they haven't learned yet?

Reactions: Zwui21

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
He certainly makes it sound like he's not instructing the team to play conservative and that they are doing it on their own.

When he says "we have to learn as a team" not to do that, i.e. playing without energy....I mean the core of this team has been together for a long long time, is this really something they haven't learned yet?
There's a certain level of discipline it takes to be somewhat conservative in playing box+1, but also be aggressive on offense.

It's easier, but not necessarily smarter, to always be aggressive. (man-on-man defense, covering the points, etc.)

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
It is a complete joke now, skate in circles leave zone pass to Goalie rinse repeat
Back pass to goalie delay of game then

Pittsburgh skated rings around us and I thought if anything encouraged the idea to open up more and get faster. Point taken on Washington and Columbus, we had no answer for them when they employed their conservative trap to perfection.

I personally think beating the Isles in those gritty series cemented our commitment to winning tight hockey games. Unfortunately I also think in the process we've also committed too much to it, we don't have the players to win those games right now.
We definitely don’t have the players like that anymore to hold leads and shut down team offenses the talent just definitely isn’t there . This getting massively out shot every game needs to end

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Sergachev was a -1 but gets a +2 for those pre*-game comments.

Time to go play Mario, yahoo!

Last edited:

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden

I think it's more about the psychological aspect, that you naturally relax and go down in energy when you have a solid lead. Doesn't really matter how experienced you are, it will happen to everyone and you kind of need constant reminders/lessons about it.

It applies really to everyone involved in some team sport, no matter how good you are.

But we better start winning over division rivals soon or we will be in trouble!

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I think it's more about the psychological aspect, that you naturally relax and go down in energy when you have a solid lead. Doesn't really matter how experienced you are, it will happen to everyone and you kind of need constant reminders/lessons about it.

It applies really to everyone involved in some team sport, no matter how good you are.

But we better start winning over division rivals soon or we will be in trouble!

Just feels like excuse making by him to be honest, we blew a 3 goal third period lead in the postseason against this team and they need reminding not to do it again?

This is a game they should have circled on their calendar, the psychological aspect to relax a bit makes sense against some bad teams, but against this team? They should be wanting to get revenge and run up the score, not sit on their laurels.

In either case, whether they are being instructed to shell or if it is their natural instinct to sit on a 1st period two goal lead, it's bad bad bad

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
There's a certain level of discipline it takes to be somewhat conservative in playing box+1, but also be aggressive on offense.

It's easier, but not necessarily smarter, to always be aggressive. (man-on-man defense, covering the points, etc.)

The retreating off of contested pucks is what kills me. We play our best when our defensemen are pinching, but as soon as we get a lead we suddenly need bodies back. We give up so much ice and shots simply because we let the other team live on our half of the ice.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

Have you seen the bottom six? The bottom 4 D? Like most of these guys are new my brother

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
Point is decent on FO's. What's wrong with 21, 86 and 77 to start OT? (Glendenning lost it, and then had to haul ass to get off the ice, causing unnecessary confusion.)

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Point is decent on FO's. What's wrong with 21, 86 and 77 to start OT? (Glendenning lost it, and then had to haul ass to get off the ice, causing unnecessary confusion.)
point gets tossed out of pretty much every faceoff. you start with him and soon you have kuch taking it

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Pittsburgh, Washington, and Columbus
I remember the Cooper shell from the Chicago finals...we tried the shell then. It does work sometimes. It really does but when it doesn't...ugh. imho, Cooper goes to it too early in the 3rd. Idk why. He's obviously done remarkable things here. Already choked on that crow

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
point gets tossed out of pretty much every faceoff. you start with him and soon you have kuch taking it
This should get talked about more, is Point really that bad at the dot and deserving of getting the boot? Its been nearly every faceoff i've watched with him.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
This should get talked about more, is Point really that bad at the dot and deserving of getting the boot? Its been nearly every faceoff i've watched with him.
Cooper mind games! You never know who’s taking the draw (and eventually losing it). Pretty genius.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Faceoff coach Dominic Moore.

Cooper mind games! You never know who’s taking the draw (and eventually losing it). Pretty genius.
There is a thought that linesmen will drop the puck quicker after they boot someone out.

Point is also a right shot and Kuch is a left shot, so it could disrupt the other center.

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
Fancy stats says he was just over 50% last year, so why a regression? If anything, guys normally improve slightly with experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00