GDT: 10/15/23 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Ottawa

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
He led Nashville D in +/- last year despite taking on their toughest high leverage assignments. I don’t know how anyone can look at our current on ice product and go durr McDonagh is 35 this is fine
+/- suucks

he just a shot blocker. despite an extremely generous shooting percentage he has a negative xg/60%. not to mention he is an absolute black-hole on the offensive side:

1697458108732.png

and for what? $6.75 milly cap hit to take over for de haan? get the f*** outta here. thats almost stamkos resigning money for a guy that can block shots.

what do you want us to do? trade sergachev who is a decade younger and a better offensive defenseman? how myopic.

i just wrote "McD" on a paper and crinkled it up and threw it in a trash bin i labeled 'bad defenseman'

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
This is the same tireless "Marchand is innocent of all charges" energy we see from Bruins fans. Sergachev has been dog water to start the season and is not fulfilling the mantle of his responsibility unless he's doing the shuffle. He needs to be better and has *checks* 79 games to do it

I think it'll all work out okay

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
We need to trade for a 1b type goalie like Jones or Maf. We aren't going to win many games with either current goalie and the defense isn't doing the team goalies much help.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
+/- suucks

he just a shot blocker. despite an extremely generous shooting percentage he has a negative xg/60%. not to mention he is an absolute black-hole on the offensive side:

View attachment 753464

and for what? $6.75 milly cap hit to take over for de haan? get the f*** outta here. thats almost stamkos resigning money for a guy that can block shots.

what do you want us to do? trade sergachev who is a decade younger and a better offensive defenseman? how myopic.

i just wrote "McD" on a paper and crinkled it up and threw it in a trash bin i labeled 'bad defenseman'

These are the kind of posts that give the advanced stat community a bad name. Yes, +/- isn't a great gauge of performance without context, for instance at one point Marc Andre Bergeron, one of the worst defensemen ever to put on a pair of skates at this level, led the league in +/- by a significant margin at midseason. I gave you context though, McDonagh plays against the other teams best players in the highest leverage situations, 67% of his draws are in the defensive zone and yet he still had the best +/- in Nashville last year. This isn't MAB getting 80% of his draws in the ozone.

Speaking of unfair zone draws, let's compare that to your boy Sergachev who has never played above 50% in the Dzone, my god this is the first year Sergachev hasn't been given sheltered minutes at the start and he's -5. I can only imagine how shit he'd appear if given the types of matchups McD has been given, and for the record I am a big Sergachev fan but he should never be the pre-dominant defensive guy on his pairing, he needs protection, and right now we are desperately short on any defender who can play a steady game without looking totally lost in the defensive zone. Sergy is being paid like someone who should be able to do that, and he's not.

And that brings us to the absurdity of you invoking relative stats to show how bad McDonagh has been. If a player gets 67% dzone starts and is on the #1 PK unit, his team is going to give up more shots/goals while on the ice. If a player only gets 33% ozone starts and no PP time, his team is going to shoot and score less while he's on the ice. This isn't rocket science, and shouldn't be used as evidence to justify why one player is better than another

The eyeball test should be the primary gauge of how a team is playing, and watching this team with Sergachev on the ice makes me want to gauge them out.

Trash can with McD in it, that's cute

Last edited:

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
i dont have to defend the lightnings play this season to say we're better off without McD, even if you try to paint that as my argument.

the team is bad? serge is bad? like, obviously. small sample size though. and McD is an overpaid relic that you just can't let go.

you can set a watch to us having a bad game and you kramering into the thread with your latest McD masturbation fodder all byrdesque like

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
i dont have to defend the lightnings play this season to say we're better off without McD, even if you try to paint that as my argument.

the team is bad? serge is bad? like, obviously. small sample size though. and McD is an overpaid relic that you just can't let go.

you can set a watch to us having a bad game and you kramering into the thread with your latest McD masturbation fodder all byrdesque like

"We are better off without McD"? Lol yeah just look at how much better we've been defensively over the last two years.

I know this is going to kill your talking point but it isn't about McDonagh, if we had replaced him with just about any other top 3 defender who isn't getting pyloned I'd be just as content. The problem is that instead of doing that, we replaced him with Sergachev.

Not sure if your last sentence is in English, try that one again

Last edited:

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
"We are better off without McD"? Lol yeah just look at how much better we've been defensively over the last two years.

And you can replace McDonagh with just about any other top 3 defender who isn't getting pyloned and I'd be just as content. The problem is that instead of doing that, we replaced him with Sergachev.
the entire team is getting "pyloned". you just mention serge because you think i have some peculiar fixation with him like you do with McD, but i don't. because it's weird

we're better off without McD because we live in a salary cap world, and it would suck to lose half of our roster to staple him to the third line LD spot - and yeah, thats where he would go.

sorry man, serge is the better choice because of, you know, cell senescence. sorry if entropy is bothering you personally, we all go through it. you got to live in the now

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
As others have noted, if you have McD on the roster, you would be forced to get rid of others to afford his contract and stay Cap Compliant. In addition, it would put a serious hindrance on whether or not you keep Stamkos next year.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
+/- suucks

View attachment 753464

We won a cup with McDonagh blocking shots and Stamkos not in the lineup though....

Not the best argument.

Reactions: Rschmitz and Sky04

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

I know this is going to kill your talking point but it isn't about McDonagh, if we had replaced him with just about any other top 3 defender who isn't getting pyloned I'd be just as content. The problem is that instead of doing that, we replaced him with Sergachev.

Not sure if your last sentence is in English, try that one again

Yeah better off like how losing in round 1 is better than going to 3 straight finals, don't you math?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
As others have noted, if you have McD on the roster, you would be forced to get rid of others to afford his contract and stay Cap Compliant. In addition, it would put a serious hindrance on whether or not you keep Stamkos next year.

Way easier to fill a secondary one dimensional forward in the playoffs than it is to fill a guy who can play 20 hard minutes defensively. The biggest reason to bring Stamkos back is so he can play out his entire career in TB, it's more a legacy thing than a team need. We have a 50 goal scorer, a 115 point scorer, a selke caliber forward already, he's like the 3rd or 4th need up front and like 7th overall on the team if you include D and goalie.

Reactions: Rschmitz

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
at least im not posting about a guy thats not even on the team? people blaming serge for losing McD are utilizing a false equivalence.

sorry folks, big mac is gone. so take down the posters, move past the anger and arrive at the cliff overlooking the sea, where you can watch the sunset and find serenity.

just dont post more about McD

Reactions: Peacefool

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

Would we rather have Stamkos or a legit top 4 defenseman, that’s a really good question actually. As someone who has been calling for Stamkos to be resigned I would still lean toward the defender.

Would we rather have McDonagh at 6.75 million and trade Sergachev for a kings ransom or sign him to his current abomination of a contract? Far easier to answer

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
at least im not posting about a guy thats not even on the team? people blaming serge for losing McD are utilizing a false equivalence.

sorry folks, big mac is gone. so take down the posters, move past the anger and arrive at the cliff overlooking the sea, where you can watch the sunset and find serenity.

I’ve never seen someone so anal retentive, the ramifications of losing a key member to our cup team is a completely valid talking point but you want our board to treat his loss like losing an ex-gf or something. Crop him out of pictures, don’t say his name, it’s a thought crime to ponder what if.

My god man, show me on the doll where McDonagh touched you

• Haha
Reactions: Stammertime91

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Would we rather have Stamkos or a legit top 4 defenseman, that’s a really good question actually. As someone who has been calling for Stamkos to be resigned I would still lean toward the defender.

Would we rather have McDonagh at 6.75 million and trade Sergachev for a kings ransom or sign him to his current abomination of a contract? Far easier to answer
A king's ransom = other guys we have to sign that take away cap space too.. not that simple

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

We can do that and all that's left to remark is that Sergachev is making an already difficult situation even more difficult . No one is going to use "But he's 25" to defend the turnover Perbix made. But age is used to defend every one of Sergachev's grossly irresponsible gaffes by several like someone leaping in front of a bullet to stop a character assassination. He has about 550 combined games of regular season and postseason experience and should know better. So should Perbix.

McDonagh got f***ing crucified every time he couldn't clear the zone. -5 or not Sergachev is not above scrutiny nor should he be. Unless this dude wakes up and realizes he's Cale Makar he's a somewhere about .500 PPG defender who suffers too many frequent lapses in concentration

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
We can do that and all that's left to remark is that Sergachev is making an already difficult situation even more difficult . No one is going to use "But he's 25" to defend the turnover Perbix made. But age is used to defend every one of Sergachev's grossly irresponsible gaffes by several like someone leaping in front of a bullet to stop a character assassination. He has about 550 combined games of regular season and postseason experience and should know better. So should Perbix.

McDonagh got f***ing crucified every time he couldn't clear the zone. -5 or not Sergachev is not above scrutiny nor should he be. Unless this dude wakes up and realizes he's Cale Makar he's a somewhere about .500 PPG defender who suffers too many frequent lapses in concentration

Yeah Sergachev's gotta be at like 60+ points consistently to outweigh his defensive gaffs, except we already have Hedman who's got the same traits but better. Now we just have 2 defenseman who put up points with constant brain farts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad