GDT: #1 - The New Jersey Devils v.s. Winnipeg Jets in Miracle at the Rock

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I like Josefson, but good lord it felt like he never came off the ice all game. Only Cammalleri, Zajac, and Stempniak had more ice time among forwards. He was on the PP and PK. I advocated him getting an increased role but I feel like Hynes went a bit overboard.

I'm happy he's got confidence and the coaching staff likes him, but if this keeps going he's going to be in over his head very quickly.

I didn't think he was on the ice so much tbh, that's how invisible he was. I feared this whole fantasy of Josefson as a top six center was destined for failure and Game 1 did nothing to disprove that.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Last night was just another friendly reminder that guys like Josefson and Boucher who we still hold some hope to become something better than they already are, probably won't get much better than they already are.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Last night was just another friendly reminder that guys like Josefson and Boucher who we still hold some hope to become something better than they already are, probably won't get much better than they already are.

Boucher's still got a little more time than Josefson but the fact he took a step backwards last year and hasn't impressed the new staff much this year isn't exactly a great sign. Josefson IMO had his chances already, albeit in limited stretches (during the lockout season, the end of last year, under Lemaire).

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
not much to be happy about in last nights game. but to your point which is one i made last night i think winniepeg is gonna be a tough game for lots of teams this year,, they are the biggest team i have ever seen

Me too. The Devils looked like midgets compared to them, especially the 4th line. The have a huge excellent first line.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Josefson was one of the best possession players on the team last night along with larsson and Greene. He played nowhere near badly as some in this site are speculating. the Devils in general dont matchup at all against the jets it's not a surprise that they struggled like that. So many judgements on players where everything that happened result wise in the game was pretty predictable.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Josefson was one of the best possession players on the team last night along with larsson and Greene. He played nowhere near badly as some in this site are speculating. the Devils in general dont matchup at all against the jets it's not a surprise that they struggled like that. So many judgements on players where everything that happened result wise in the game was pretty predictable.

This is what advanced stats don't tell you...where were the scoring chances? If you're going to be a top six center you have to create SOME offense. Otherwise you're just a lesser version of Zajac getting paid far less. He had two shots on goal and I honestly don't remember either one, or scoring chances he created for anyone else.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
This is what advanced stats don't tell you...where were the scoring chances? If you're going to be a top six center you have to create SOME offense. Otherwise you're just a lesser version of Zajac getting paid far less. He had two shots on goal and I honestly don't remember either one, or scoring chances he created for anyone else.

he's not a top 6 center? How can you be disappointed at guys for not playing above their talent level? He had two shots but no other forward on the team had more than 2 shots either.

Same is true on a lesser extent for Zajac. For these guys to be successful they would a legit #1C to push them down the lineup. It just sucks in Zajac's case because the Devils have that contract but that's another thing. But it's hard for me to get disappointed when these guys are not really in a position to succeed offensively.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
On Boucher, I think he did okay apart from the boneheaded penalty, because he actually did have some decent opportunities to score, and I remember an uncalled hook that killed one good chance he had to score. The penalty was terrible, but he looked like he was capable of scoring.

With Josefson, it's the typical JJ act of him looking good for the most part but not being able to produce at all. He's got more of an opportunity now than he has ever had in the past playing with Palmieri and Henrique and getting a ton of minutes, but he needs to find a way to produce in them. That's really the test for him. We know he can look good. We don't know if he can produce. He needs to prove to me that he can do that, not just look good out there.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Thought they should have not worn helmets when introduced pregame last night.

But otherwise the pregame was well done.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
when Boucher is allegedly one of the org's top prospects, you know that your future is bleak. Now we endure.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
when Boucher is allegedly one of the org's top prospects, you know that your future is bleak. Now we endure.

That top prospect ship sailed long ago with the lack of progress from last season. I wouldn't put him in our top 5 anymore.

Santini, Wood, Quenneville, Zacha, Blandisi are players I hold in a higher regard just a rough number but point taken about the bleak nature of our prospects.

Our prospect pool is getting better. Slowly. JQ looks improved, Zacha has potential and Wood is exceeding expectations. Blandisi was free basically and looks good so far. We're better than when Boucher actually was a top prospect.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
boucher was one of our top prospects because we hadn't seen him suck in the NHL yet + went off his OHL goal total

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Boucher had some moments where he looked fine and then he had the hare-brained penalty. We just need to see more of the times where he looked fine in the future.

Deleted member 28548

Let's not lose sight that Boucher is 22 and has like 30 NHL games of experience
its not all that much different from Beau Bennet's situation here in Pittsburgh though Beau has played a bit more.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Boucher looked good at times last night. He was getting into good areas and had a couple of good shots. One early in the first went clean right thru the crease behind the goalie, it had just hit a skate or something it likely would have been a goal.

He fine just needs to learn more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad