Who is # 1

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Does the loser of this poll automatically get the #2 spot?

If so, I don't agree.

Blomqvist? Puus?

I'm wondering if Poulin even makes the top five in this year's polling. I have POJ, Pick, Blomqvist, and maybe even DOC and Puus ahead of him based on a mix of readiness and potential. I also think that Svejkovsky is nipping at his heels after his season. And really I'm not even the biggest Poulin hater and make accommodations for him based on what scouts must have seen in him along with him adjusting to the pro game.

I think maybe Gurgs had it right the other day... 2019 is looking like a crap draft in general.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Blomqvist? Puus?

I'm wondering if Poulin even makes the top five in this year's polling. I have POJ, Pick, Blomqvist, and maybe even DOC and Puus ahead of him based on a mix of readiness and potential. I also think that Svejkovsky is nipping at his heels after his season. And really I'm not even the biggest Poulin hater and make accommodations for him based on what scouts must have seen in him along with him adjusting to the pro game.

I think maybe Gurgs had it right the other day... 2019 is looking like a crap draft in general.

Depends how I'm feeling. [you just did a ninja edit] And to your other post, I think DOC was WBS's most dynamic player.

Svej is real intriguing. Based on last year's performance he could be a first liner. Doubt it but he was real impressive in almost all (or maybe it was all?) the games I saw him play in last season. Stats were real good too. Heck, they improved when he moved to Seattle -- which was a slight concern after the trade. See: Rico Fata performance. He's definitely more of a RW than Center if that matters to anyone. Strength and d-zone awareness are two areas he'll need to improve to be an NHLer.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Blomqvist? Puus?

An exceptionally horrible draft for the Pens unless Puus develops and Poulin’s biggest accomplishment doesn’t continue to be labeled as a power forward on this site and the fact that he was invited to try out for team Canada’s team after the draft. (Never mind the fact that he didn’t make the team)

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Ceiling is Pickering.

Readiness and floor are POJ.

Pickering could be a first pairing d-man. He could also be nothing. POJ could be a #4 or he could just be a #7. He's at least an NHLer.
That's kinda my sense although I don't know that Pickering has top pair potential. Seems more like he'd top out at a second pair guy to me. I don't see the offense to be a top pair defender unless he ends up just being an elite defender which I suppose is possible given his size and skating.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
An exceptionally horrible draft for the Pens unless Puus develops and Poulin’s biggest accomplishment doesn’t continue to be labeled as a power forward on this site and the fact that he was invited to try out for team Canada’s team after the draft. (Never mind the fact that he didn’t make the team)

I mean he's 21 years old and played pretty great the back half of last year on a shit team while making a positional change. I'm personally not a believer simply because dude has looked incredibly pedestrian with nothing in the way of eye-opening attributes every time I've watched him play but I'm not going to pretend that I know he's a bust, either.

I will say that the way Poulin SEEMS to be heading is a big reason that I just kinda shrug about "not drafting in the first round" for so many years while the team was contending. More than likely you're just drafting an also-ran at 20-32 or whatever. That isn't to say that you should cough up first rounders for flipping Ryan Reaves every year but I guess I just never felt like the team was missing out on that much.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
That's kinda my sense although I don't know that Pickering has top pair potential. Seems more like he'd top out at a second pair guy to me. I don't see the offense to be a top pair defender unless he ends up just being an elite defender which I suppose is possible given his size and skating.

Eh, with that size, skating, and passing I think his ceiling is first pair. I'm envisioning a silkier version of Dumoulin with more assists.

I'll do my best to watch him this season. Curious as to how his actual defending is. Hope he improves his shot too.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Eh, with that size, skating, and passing I think his ceiling is first pair. I'm envisioning a silkier version of Dumoulin with more assists.

I'll do my best to watch him this season. Curious as to how his actual defending is. Hope he improves his shot too.

So here's the thing about Pickering.

I ain't seen a scout saying anything higher than 2nd pairing.

But if you add up all the nice things people say about him - best dman shot in the draft, could be a Dumo-like player in his own zone, could be Matheson-esque in transition, capable of fantastic passes - you get a potential top end package that gets pretty close to 1D. Probably lacks the elite skill and ability to QB a PP1, but other than that, more or less there.

And, tbf... often those guys are on the second pairing, anchoring that pairing rather than being the sidecar on the top pairing. In many ways it takes more talent. But calling it second pairing talent feels like it's selling the potential short, even if it's hard to imagine him getting all the way there at this point. Like, he can be more of the sort of second pairing dman Colorado has rather than another Pettersson...

Also many thanks to @Gurglesons and the mods.

Reactions: Pancakes

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I pick the less cultured player, because I'm a worthless impatient yinzer without perspective.

Welcome back!

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
At least all of Hextall’s signings will be here once Pickering is ready since everyone gets signed to a half decade as of late. Either guy will be surrounded by plenty of vets.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Does the loser of this poll automatically get the #2 spot?

If so, I don't agree.

Right now yes because

1) Pretty sure that's how it was last year ( @Empoleon8771 to confirm?)
2) Don't want this to start dragging
3) Feels a bit redundant. Assuming everyone's votes stay the same bar Pickering/POJ's (know that won't happen, but probs close enough) then it's going to take an incredible upset for anyone bar Blomqvist to beat the loser, and even with Blomqvist, if POJ/Pickering get a third of the other's votes, that'd probably put it clear of a run-off even if Blomqvist gets every single other vote, which feels unlikely.

I'm open to having my mind changed but that's where the logic is.

Blomqvist? Puus?

I'm intrigued to see what happens there. Right now, it depends on how scared I am about Poulin's skating. If I'm thinking it's an insuperable obstacle to him getting into the league, then yeah, he's behind those guys.

But if I'm not thinking that... Puustinen and Svejkovsky being tiny are also big obstacles to them being full time NHLers. Poulin was probably producing equal or maybe more than Puustinen at the end of last season (certainly was in the playoffs) and is 2 years younger, I'm not sure in what order I'd have them. DOC, fantastic athlete, fantastic AHL numbers, but if they keep on translating like they have he's gonna be like cut price ZAR. And he's, what, 3 years on Poulin? I'd imagine Poulin would trash the AHL at that age if still in it and given the minutes. Not clear cut. Guess we'll see.

As for Svejkovsky... I remember Almeida producing an absolute ton as D+2 in the WHL and then sinking without trace all too well to get properly excited about Svej until he walks the walk in the AHL.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Right now yes because

1) Pretty sure that's how it was last year ( @Empoleon8771 to confirm?)
2) Don't want this to start dragging
3) Feels a bit redundant. Assuming everyone's votes stay the same bar Pickering/POJ's (know that won't happen, but probs close enough) then it's going to take an incredible upset for anyone bar Blomqvist to beat the loser, and even with Blomqvist, if POJ/Pickering get a third of the other's votes, that'd probably put it clear of a run-off even if Blomqvist gets every single other vote, which feels unlikely.

I'm open to having my mind changed but that's where the logic is.

I'm intrigued to see what happens there. Right now, it depends on how scared I am about Poulin's skating. If I'm thinking it's an insuperable obstacle to him getting into the league, then yeah, he's behind those guys.

But if I'm not thinking that... Puustinen and Svejkovsky being tiny are also big obstacles to them being full time NHLers. Poulin was probably producing equal or maybe more than Puustinen at the end of last season (certainly was in the playoffs) and is 2 years younger, I'm not sure in what order I'd have them. DOC, fantastic athlete, fantastic AHL numbers, but if they keep on translating like they have he's gonna be like cut price ZAR. And he's, what, 3 years on Poulin? I'd imagine Poulin would trash the AHL at that age if still in it and given the minutes. Not clear cut. Guess we'll see.

As for Svejkovsky... I remember Almeida producing an absolute ton as D+2 in the WHL and then sinking without trace all too well to get properly excited about Svej until he walks the walk in the AHL.

My #1 is Blomqvist so that's why I asked. If you count the votes a certain way from the first poll Blomqvist could over take POJ. Especially if the people that voted for Pickering also rank Blomqvist ahead of POJ. If we're trying to get to 20 then yes I'd agree with expediating the process and giving POJ the #2 spot.

And yeah, I had thoughts of Almeida when typing up my Svej spiel. Though I've actually watched Svejkovsky unlike Almeida. In terms of play style, Svejkovsky is giving me Kessel vibes for better or worse.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Off tangent but what if all 3 of these guys become star players in Pittsburgh at the same time....

Pickering
Pickett
Pickens

It almost seems planned.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
My #1 is Blomqvist so that's why I asked. If you count the votes a certain way from the first poll Blomqvist could over take POJ. Especially if the people that voted for Pickering also rank Blomqvist ahead of POJ. If we're trying to get to 20 then yes I'd agree with expediating the process and giving POJ the #2 spot.

And yeah, I had thoughts of Almeida when typing up my Svej spiel. Though I've actually watched Svejkovsky unlike Almeida. In terms of play style, Svejkovsky is giving me Kessel vibes for better or worse.

Sorry Randy. I think I defended you when you did a poll and now you must suffer the same comment. If you don't like it you should've ran the prospect poll :P

Also. How the hell did you know my Linkedin?

Reactions: Randy Butternubs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad