Management 1 PM May 22nd - Charlie, Cam, Don and Monty address media - NESN

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Wednesday, May 22 at 1 p.m. (TD Garden, Boston, MA)
- End of season press conference with CEO and Alternate Governor Charlie Jacobs, President Cam Neely, General Manager Don Sweeney and Head Coach Jim Montgomery

- Media should enter through back security and proceed to Legends Club on Level 3

- Light refreshments will be provided to the media​

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The reporters won't ask tough questions. The management will give boiler plate answers to the questions that are asked.

Thirty to forty-five minutes of bullshit. 💩
1716234024591.png

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I don’t see why they wouldn’t be back, they overachieved this year. They were much more likely to have been fired after last years collapse than now imo
I think that may be the rub for some people. Collapse of the century, all good, everyone back. "Overachieve" relying on a stud goalie and 2 of Toronto's best players out for parts of the series and back pats all around.

They need to ask some good questions like what is the problem at home winning when it matters and after nine seasons on the job and no championships is the clock ticking on the current regime?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Wednesday, May 22 at 1 p.m. (TD Garden, Boston, MA)
- End of season press conference with CEO and Alternate Governor Charlie Jacobs, President Cam Neely, General Manager Don Sweeney and Head Coach Jim Montgomery

- Media should enter through back security and proceed to Legends Club on Level 3

- Light refreshments will be provided to the media​

"Light refreshments."

What, no buffet and open bar?

Actually, with Jacobs it's always been light refreshments.

You know, three Ritz crackers and a TAB. (He saved cases of the latter from the '70s.)

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I think that may be the rub for some people. Collapse of the century, all good, everyone back. "Overachieve" relying on a stud goalie and 2 of Toronto's best players out for parts of the series and back pats all around.

They need to ask some good questions like what is the problem at home winning when it matters and after nine seasons on the job and no championships is the clock ticking on the current regime?

I think the time for most of those sorts of questions was 12 months ago, and they either weren't asked or weren't answered. That's when the 2010s era of the Bruins ended, and ended in one last spectacular failure/falling short/choose your term depending on how harsh you want to be.

Sweeney and Neely had a group through 2016-23 that should have won a Cup, and didn't. But for whatever exact reasons ownership were pleased enough regardless to keep them both employed. Which means they've been handed the keys to at least start the next era. What happened in this post-window transition year, where the debts of the past were paid off, didn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things. Celebrate the Centennial, make some money, have a low-key crack at some success, and that's it. No real expectations and no high level jobs, except possibly Monty's, on the line.

It's now we move fully into building the next gen roster and hopefully the next Cup run. The past is past and there it must stay. For better or worse, the current mob are still in charge. So the pertinent questions for us fans going forwards are how long a leash do Cam and Don have with this new era? How soon is success expected, and how much? How does the team hope to become a genuine top contender despite having an extremely shallow prospect pool? And so on. Interesting times ahead.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I think the time for most of those sorts of questions was 12 months ago, and they either weren't asked or weren't answered. That's when the 2010s era of the Bruins ended, and ended in one last spectacular failure/falling short/choose your term depending on how harsh you want to be.

Sweeney and Neely had a group through 2016-23 that should have won a Cup, and didn't. But for whatever exact reasons ownership were pleased enough regardless to keep them both employed. Which means they've been handed the keys to at least start the next era. What happened in this post-window transition year, where the debts of the past were paid off, didn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things. Celebrate the Centennial, make some money, have a low-key crack at some success, and that's it. No real expectations and no high level jobs, except possibly Monty's, on the line.

It's now we move fully into building the next gen roster and hopefully the next Cup run. The past is past and there it must stay. For better or worse, the current mob are still in charge. So the pertinent questions for us fans going forwards are how long a leash do Cam and Don have with this new era? How soon is success expected, and how much? How does the team hope to become a genuine top contender despite having an extremely shallow prospect pool? And so on. Interesting times ahead.
Cup in 3 years or gone for me. Prime years of the D, Swayman and Pasta so it’s up to these guys to put together a champion. All on them now

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Cup in 3 years or gone for me. Prime years of the D, Swayman and Pasta so it’s up to these guys to put together a champion. All on them now

That's reasonable to me. They've refused a full rebuild in favor of a quick reload, and should be judged accordingly. The key pieces are either there or the cap space exists to get them, the prospect pool is not favorable to a slower burn, so go get some silverware soon or get out and let someone else try. This is second chance territory already, so the amount of rope given to the current management should be shorter.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

All I can say is that I'm heartily sick of both.

Nothing will change as long as the seats are full and the old man draws a breath.

Babajingo

They inherited a team with Bergeron, Krecji, Rask, Chara, Marchand in their prime and a rookie Pasta. That was 9 years ago (if my math is right).
How many Stanley Cups have they won since then?

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019
They inherited a team with Bergeron, Krecji, Rask, Chara, Marchand in their prime and a rookie Pasta. That was 9 years ago (if my math is right).
How many Stanley Cups have they won since then?
Well you're wrong about them both inheriting that group of players.
Sweeney was hired in 2006 as Director of Player Development and Neely was hired in 2007, then made President in 2010. This information is real easy to find, just check Capfriendly, try it some time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad