GDT: #1 - P.E.I. - Devils @ Senators, 6 PM, NHL Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Bratt really seems like a perfect fit to pair with Henrique. Bratt can really carry the puck into the zone, sets up his teammates beautifully, and handles his defensive responsibilities. Henrique can do what he does best with a guy like that, be in the right spot at the right time and bury chances. JQ or Blandisi would each bring something different to that line as well (JQ being snipes and Blender being speed/tenacity/playmaking).

I am leaning towards JQ, but I think Blender could also find plenty of success on a 4tg line with Coleman/Boyle and Noesen.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Zacha and Nico looking like this so early in their careers is an orders of magnitude shift in the timeline of this team.

Let's see how it translates past the preseason, but you have to be pleased with the playmaking and the two-way play. If you have two centers who consistently play like this in your top six, you can get away with Palmieri, Hall and whoever else maybe not being the most attentive defenders.

And a Rico-Blandisi-Bratt line sounds great to me.

I wouldn't break up Bratt-Rico-JQ.

Maybe stick Blender on the RW

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
Kuja, Loov and Bastian get cut from this squad, and Blackwood gets sent back as well.

Hard to find anything wrong with this one.

Meh: Kuja, Loov, Bastian
Good: Schneider, Butcher, Prout, Hall, Mojo, Greene
Very good: Coleman, Henrique, Stafford, Mueller,
Wow: Santini, JQ, Bratt
OMFG: Zacha, Nico, Palms

Mojo had a 4 point game and he was just meh. Wow. I can't wait for his good games.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So when do we trade a 2019 1st for a 1LD ?

We don't.

I'm telling you, if Schneider bounces back to another .920 season, it will be like acquiring a #1 defenseman. That's how huge that will be. We might allow 20-25 fewer goals on the season, if that happens.

And Schneider has shown throughout his career, that he doesn't need a good defense to put up great numbers, with the exception of last year. The defense and forwards on the 14-15 team were a joke.

He isn't Brian Elliott, who has never had a good season without Hitchcock/stacked defense.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If Nico keeps scoring like this, they might start showing more of our games on national broadcasts.

Then we'd have to listen to Pierre!

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
At this point I would honestly trade that 1st rounder if it gets us back a stud defenseman (we would have to add obviously)

We don't need to draft another forward right now..... and drafting a d-man puts him 3-4 years away from being a real contributor which I guess is necessary but disappointing to me haha.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
At this point I would honestly trade that 1st rounder if it gets us back a stud defenseman (we would have to add obviously)

We don't need to draft another forward right now..... and drafting a d-man puts him 3-4 years away from being a real contributor which I guess is necessary but disappointing to me haha.

Wouldn't even think about it until after the lotto and only for the right price.

We potentially will get a better D in this draft, and that would be a better price.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
you don't know if the d-man is 3-4 years away before the draft. guys drafted early are in the NHL pretty fast nowadays. Severson was a regular after 2 years and he was drafted at the end of the 2nd. you don't even know if the Devils will even a select a d-man with their first pick -- they don't scout all year to have a decision made already. it's too early to trade the pick -- it's just preseason

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
you don't know if the d-man is 3-4 years away before the draft. guys drafted early are in the NHL pretty fast nowadays. you don't even know if the Devils will even a select a d-man with their first pick -- they don't scout all year to have a decision made already. it's too early to trade the pick -- it's just preseason

There's several extremely talented defenders at the top of this draft.

While it's not a guarantee, if there's any draft the Devils were to take a defender high, it would be this one.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012

While it's not a guarantee, if there's any draft the Devils were to take a defender high, it would be this one.

While they're just preseason rankings, and things change a lot, you do have someone like Ryan Merkely ranked in the area where playoff teams will be drafting.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
was the game blacked out again? came home to watch the two games and the ottowa game was something else...

looks like i missed a good one.. the thing i think we fans have to start to realize is on paper now we added

4 high quality forwards to this team from last year:

hischier
bratt
johansson
boyle

and if this is a preview of how zacha is going to play make it 5... that is a major change no matter how you want to spin it...

and if we get lucky with 1 or 2 of the defensman brought in with the added year of experience of sev and santini.. don't count this team out of the playoffs... i don't care if its pre season... its different this year

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

it's hard to predict that without knowing the draft order. they probably will have a couple defenseman ranked high but who knows if they will even get the chance to draft them

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
I just have a hard time seeing them play Blandisi on the 4th line. Thats really the only reason I said Wood on the 4th line. Guy really needs to be in scoring situations, needs to play with some skilled guys.

I agree Blandisi has had a better camp.

Hell they could both be on the 4th line, Wood Coleman/Boyle Blandisi.

Im sure we will get an idea of what Shero and Hynes are thinking on Wed. Not to mention the cuts that are coming tomorrow.

I feel for Shero and Hynes when it comes to the D, Santini Mueller Prout and Butcher have all made arguments to make the team. With Greene Severson Moore and Lovejoy all likely locked only 2 of these guys get to start and someones gotta sit. They have all played well.

not convinced they are just going to throw lovejoy in top 6

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
So I know it's just preseason, but I was curious. The last time the Devils scored 8 goals, preseason or otherwise, was December 12th, 2008 against the Rangers.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The top two lines seem fixed for the moment. I'd still probably play Noesen on the third line with Bratt and Rico since he is a natural RW. I'd open with Blender - Coleman - JQ as the fourth line. Sign Hayes to a vet minimum one year deal to sit in the press box until Boyle is healthy or Zajac returns. At various points the kids will need breaks and you can insert Hayes and that frees up players to move around the other spots in the lineup. Send Wood Kuja BASTIAN and the rest of the waiver eligible forwards down. On defense I'd stick with Greene Severson then I hope that Mueller and Santini can handle middle pairing minutes. My third pair is Moore with Lovejoy and Prout is my 7. I send Butcher to Bingo for now. Hopefully Moore scores about 25 points in the first half of the season and some sucker - I mean contender - gives us a second for him. Then we can bring up Butcher.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Both beat writers were in Brooklyn so sadly no writeups or quotes from PEI

Everyone in our market had to endure a lousy lineup and loss with a possible serious injury to one of our top prospects.

Meanwhile the NHL blacked out a 8-1 win in our home market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad