Value of: #1 Overall Pick from Rangers - Open to trade? What kind of trade would it take?

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
Sure, if these prospects were as sure of a thing as that - which they rarely are. 2017 would have been the equivalent of trading a 50 for two 100s. That’s kind of the point though - risk vs reward.
Every draft is also different. No one expected Nico to be what everyone expects of Laf.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Every draft is also different. No one expected Nico to be what everyone expects of Laf.

True but Yakupov arguably was considered to be on that level.

Look I’m not saying they should do it. Just saying there have been scenarios in the recent past where it would have been the smart play. It’s not always as simple as “great player vs two good players”.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
But the Rangers seemingly aren't shopping the 1OA.

Okay but this is a hypothetical thread on the value of Lafreniere.

The Sens owner straight up said they aren't trading the #3 and the #5 for #1 and I'm sure the NYR management team said the same about moving the #1 so whole point is moot but it doesn't mean those assets or any other asset from any other team can't be discussed for the sake of discussion

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
As a NYR fan who doesn't want to trade the #1 pick, an offer of #3, #5, and Brady would get an insane overpayment I couldn't turn down
You would also have to pay to have Dorion relocated and security around him 24/7 cause there would be a mob after him.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
You would also have to pay to have Dorion relocated and security around him 24/7 cause there would be a mob after him.
kinda' not our problem after the trade though. We're not paying!!

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
As a Ranger fan, if you see any deal with Eichel or Barkov headlining it, you jump at that trade. There is a very good chance he never ends up as good as either. Both Eichel and Barkov are certified super stars in the NHL and both are very young.

My fellow Ranger fans are being extremely unrealistic in his trade value. He is not close to the most valuable asset in the league, and if you had any chance to acquire a franchise center like Barkov or Eichel you jump at that opportunity.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
As a Ranger fan, if you see any deal with Eichel or Barkov headlining it, you jump at that trade. There is a very good chance he never ends up as good as either. Both Eichel and Barkov are certified super stars in the NHL and both are very young.

My fellow Ranger fans are being extremely unrealistic in his trade value. He is not close to the most valuable asset in the league, and if you had any chance to acquire a franchise center like Barkov or Eichel you jump at that opportunity.
Rangers don’t have cap to take Eichel back unless Sabres are taking Trouba Probably same with Panthers because you would have to re-sign Barkov and Zibanejad in the same off-season. Not that Trouba is on the block, but you get the idea. Don’t think there is a point in getting a mega center if it costs the Rangers Zibanejad, and they are in the same situation in two years.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
People always get this wrong. The reason the #1 pick is one of the most valuable assets in the league is not because he is expected to be as good as Eichel or someone like that. It's because he is expected to provide vastly more surplus value for the first 3-7 years due to his contract status than someone who already is on a huge deal can make. Lafreniere can top out as a worse player than Eichel and be far more valuable than Eichel is right now.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Barkov is not a superstar. I would not trade Lafrenierre for either Eichel or Barkov. One, he will be cheap for a little while. Two, it's an idiotic statement to say there is a good chance he won't be as good as either of those players. He brings a nasty, physical element that neither of those two guys possess. Lafrenierre's game is perfect for the playoffs. If I had to compare his game to somebody I would say he's going to be a Mark Messier type but on wing. That's saying a lot. Eichel is a wonderful player but he will be 24 in October. The majority of this young Rangers core is 18 to 22. Eichel makes 10 million a season until 2026. One, he won't fit under the cap. Two, I'm believer that nasty, physical play has a big impact in winning playoff games. Lafrenierre brings that. Three, his leadership is off the charts from all reports and that is something the Rangers have lacked since Messier.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Where does the cap space come from? This is a trade now think about the repercussions later approach. For Barkov, we don't have the money. We also aren't trading a #1 for somebody who might decide not to re-sign and negotiate a contract when he's a UFA. For Eichel, we just don't have the money.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
People always get this wrong. The reason the #1 pick is one of the most valuable assets in the league is not because he is expected to be as good as Eichel or someone like that. It's because he is expected to provide vastly more surplus value for the first 3-7 years due to his contract status than someone who already is on a huge deal can make. Lafreniere can top out as a worse player than Eichel and be far more valuable than Eichel is right now.

Different schools of thought. And I disagree 100% with this.

Cap space and salary is extremely important - except for the absolute cream of the crop. I'm not saying it's not useful for Colorado to have MacKinnon signed at 6M$ vs Edmonton having to pay McDavid 12.5M$ - but in the end, when you have a chance to add someone whose among the best in league (as you could argue all of Barkov, Eichel and Laf could belong to one day) - salary matters less. You find a way to pay for that top talent.

You can make arguments that Laf will be better than Eichel or not. But if you believe Eichel will remain better, and by a decent margin - he is undeniable more valuable in my opinion. Salary won't make up the gap.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016

Modern era cap hockey. ELCs that highly outperform their cap hit.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
True but Yakupov arguably was considered to be on that level.

Look I’m not saying they should do it. Just saying there have been scenarios in the recent past where it would have been the smart play. It’s not always as simple as “great player vs two good players”.

actually no.
LaF is remotely in the ballpark of MacKinnon/Matthews.

Yak was just the shiniest toy for 1OA. He was never regarded in that class of talent/material.
At least not to my memory.

Oct 18, 2011
If a team offered them a number 1 center they would probably look at it but beyond that I don't see why they would go for a quantity based return? it's not like Laf is going to net you a Lindros like return

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00