Value of: #1 Overall Pick from Rangers - Open to trade? What kind of trade would it take?

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Ah, that part I didn’t think about honestly. Good point. Especially with Laf being from Montreal area it would help the sales since that’s close enough to here.

My POV was the Sens are getting new jerseys for next year so it’s likely people would get one (or multiple) of Tkachuk 3ov and 5ov anyway.
here we go and compare lafreniere to ovechkin. but not in style or whatever, because they are completely different player. no in impact on and off the ice. all before he played a single game in the nhl.
hype train - tschoooooo - tschooooo

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I think the point you’re accidentally making though is that, with picks 3 and 5, your chances of hitting a stud are increased. One could bust but as long as you hit on one, the trade will probably be worth it. Unfortunately though if you are dealing away Laf, you’re going to need to hit on both for it to look good in the end.

That said, who the hell really knows with Laf. Sure, some of those 1sts who flopped never had crazy hype, but I do remember Yakupov getting Bure comps before that draft. Hindsight skews but I’m pretty sure he was considered to be on a similar tier to Laf now.
so a 3rd pick and a prospect with little to no chance to make the nhl should be a fair return. :naughty:

the value range for lafreniere is now established somewhere between yakupov and ovie. :huh:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
The only really feasible one is the possibility of a trade down with Ottawa for those two top 5 picks.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
People always get this wrong. The reason the #1 pick is one of the most valuable assets in the league is not because he is expected to be as good as Eichel or someone like that. It's because he is expected to provide vastly more surplus value for the first 3-7 years due to his contract status than someone who already is on a huge deal can make. Lafreniere can top out as a worse player than Eichel and be far more valuable than Eichel is right now.
I partially agree with you. But the 7 years is no guarantee anymore, as RFAs get paid. Sometimes even overpaid. But the three ELC years can be a charm, if the player fast tracks to a NHL Top6 forward or Top4 defender. On the other hand Eichel has much less a risk to turn into the next Yakupov than Lafreniere, not that I expect him to bust.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He’s ridiculously good though and has a great contract. It’s not as if we need another LW either. If McAvoy is on the table, it has to be considered.
No, it absolutely doesn't. Can McAvoy switch to the left side? If not what are we doing with our RD? Are we trying to find a new home for Trouba? Are we paying him to anchor our second or 3rd pair? Is Fox going to be used only as a 3rd pair D-man going forward? You draft the best player available, you don't trade it away for best player available to trade for. We hold McAvoy for 2 years and then you can bet he's going to be asking for 8 million from us when looking at what Trouba is making. (Make no mistake, McAvoy would be a major add to any team. We just can't do it for the #1 given our current RD is one of our strongest positions)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad