GDT: #1|Let 'Em Know You're There|Pittsburgh Penguins @ Dallas South Stars|10.8.15|20:37

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
Does anyone else think that Scuderi and Hatesad are going to hurt the offense as much or more than the defense? One of those two albatrosses (albatri?) will be on the ice for at least half the game. If they're trying to go all in on offense, the forgot to go all in.

Absolutely. (Hatesad, LOL!)

I totally agree with this. Especially Scuds...as bad as he was defensively last year, his detrimental effect on our transition/offense was probably even WORSE, IMO. It's not to be underestimated the degree to which he neuters an offensive attack. I just can't see why nothing is being done about this. You KNOW the coaches have to see this...every quote I see from MJ about his system talks about how they need fast puck movement from their D in transition, and effective pinching at appropriate times when in the O-zone...things that Scuds is TERRIBLE at, and whose pathetic lack of speed amplifies these shortcomings even further. And yet, they play him. And then, not ONLY do they play him, but they put him on the ice behind their top offensive lines...

This has to be the most mind-bending, illogical, head-shaking thing this team continues to do (along with treating Kunitz as an indispensable, top-line forward).

I know I've said this a million times, I just don't know how Scuds -- in the eyes of the coaches -- does ANYTHING better than what Clendening showed in the pre-season. Was Clendening the second coming of Bobby Orr? Of COURSE not, but he was at least competent defensively, and was actually GOOD in transition -- his passing, in particular... :shakehead:help:

In any case, I can't wait to see this team in action. Despite a few BIG negatives, there are a lot of positives here, as well. Should be interesting. LGP!

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
7XpJTcZ.gif

LGP!!!!

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
Absolutely. (Hatesad, LOL!)

I totally agree with this. Especially Scuds...as bad as he was defensively last year, his detrimental effect on our transition/offense was probably even WORSE, IMO. It's not to be underestimated the degree to which he neuters an offensive attack. I just can't see why nothing is being done about this. You KNOW the coaches have to see this...every quote I see from MJ about his system talks about how they need fast puck movement from their D in transition, and effective pinching at appropriate times when in the O-zone...things that Scuds is TERRIBLE at, and whose pathetic lack of speed amplifies these shortcomings even further. And yet, they play him. And then, not ONLY do they play him, but they put him on the ice behind their top offensive lines...

This has to be the most mind-bending, illogical, head-shaking thing this team continues to do (along with treating Kunitz as an indispensable, top-line forward).

I know I've said this a million times, I just don't know how Scuds -- in the eyes of the coaches -- does ANYTHING better than what Clendening showed in the pre-season. Was Clendening the second coming of Bobby Orr? Of COURSE not, but he was at least competent defensively, and was actually GOOD in transition -- his passing, in particular... :shakehead:help:

In any case, I can't wait to see this team in action. Despite a few BIG negatives, there are a lot of positives here, as well. Should be interesting. LGP!

Agree completely. It drove me nuts last season seeing Scuds repeatedly behind Sid/Geno's line. How the coaches routinely did this is beyond me but then again they are the same coaches that thought scuds wasn't terrible 4v4. The sooner Scuds is gone the better, he is the biggest anchor in the nhl.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Bigs, you're like some kind of GDTR god.

Also, let's hope Malkin's not Birdperson. That would... Not be good. :laugh:

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
From the last thread:

I'm also not sure we have the puck movers to work with that system. Over the last 2 years, our PMD have taken a massive hit by losing Niskanen, Martin, Despres and Ehrhoff. We've replaced them with Cole, Dumoulin and Lovejoy. I'm high on Dumoulin so I'd say that him and Despres would be a wash in terms of puck moving ability. However, Ehrhoff/Niskanen and Martin to Cole and Lovejoy is a massive downgrade. I don't think MJ's puck moving D system would work any better this year than it did at the end of last year. Luckily Johnston has shown he's willing to adapt, but he needs to do it really fast or the Pens are going to be in a deep hole to start the year. Even if we were to play all of our best puck movers (so Scuderi and Lovejoy out for Clendening and Pouliot), I still don't think our D would be good enough at moving the puck for that system to work.

The PP issue is an obvious one. How the PP looked at the end of last year was completely unacceptable, and even with Kessel, I'm not sure how much that will improve. Tocchet has done nothing to suggest he can set up a good PP and our top end players not being particularly good PP players doesn't help that either.

I think Dumoulin may get close to Despres of 2013-14 in terms of passing ability. I don't think he'll be as good in terms of skating with the puck on his stick. I also think Despres has a higher ceiling that he'll achieve quicker because he thinks the game faster.

I was not very impressed by Johnston's alterations to the break-out last year. He switched from entirely left wall to D-D switching to the right wall to cross-ice passes to up the middle passes to stretch passes. In all scenarios the Pens frequently got penned in their own ends when the defenders didn't move the puck fast enough and/or the forwards either started their runs too early or too late. Johnston never adjusted to strong, fast forechecks (NYR, NYI, WSH).

His offensive zone entry problem he tried to solve with a lot more dump and chase or chip and chase or shoot-in, but unfortunately, the number of ideal forecheckers on the team is somewhat limited to Crosby & Cullen with maybe Sprong & Malkin.

In terms of "activated" defense, I think Cole, Letang, & Maatta have good judgment although Maatta & Cole struggle in recovery. Dumoulin is inexperienced. Lovejoy has terrible judgment, and Scuderi just can't do anything while activated. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Maatta struggle to cover Lovejoy when he makes a bad read limiting two pairs on defense. At least most of them can shoot even if it isn't really accurate.

The forward group looks really good, but Johnston has had things be so defender-centric that it's hard to tell what the forwards can do if the defenders struggle.

The PP looked better when it was just Crosby and/or Malkin were just out doing their own thing (and by no means do I think those were great PPs).

Agree completely. It drove me nuts last season seeing Scuds repeatedly behind Sid/Geno's line. How the coaches routinely did this is beyond me but then again they are the same coaches that thought scuds wasn't terrible 4v4. The sooner Scuds is gone the better, he is the biggest anchor in the nhl.

Having Scuderi out with Crosby or Malkin was intentional. But it was always hard to tell if that was because Johnston/Agnew thought Crosby/Malkin needed the defensive support or that Crosby/Malkin needed to cover Scuderi.

Personally, the latter seems to be more realistic, but judging by the Scuderi/Despres stories the coaches may believe the former.

Sjoelbak

Oct 5, 2015
Leiden, Netherlands
Excited the season is finally about to start! Luckily, the game is broadcast even over here, with original commentary. Expecting a high scoring game.

And I like how that flipped North Stars logo somehow resembles the NYI logo :)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Hope we score a ton and the game's exciting. I don't have a shred of hope for our defense against their offense, but to be fair their defense is pretty shoddy too.

Here's to an 8-6 game. :laugh:

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
I just realized Dumoulin gets to play on his off-side (which he's seemingly rarely played? Maybe juniors?) with Scuderi. Ouch. Sucked when it was Despres, likely to suck just as much if not more now.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I'd rather see something along the lines of

Cole - Letang
Maatta - Clendening
Dumoulin - Lovejoy

At least we aren't far off that...
That is so much better than what we are using.

MJ uses a system that requires the D to be good with the puck. Then he forces Spumoni in there, a guy who handles the puck like he's using a baseball bat. If you mention poise in the same sentence with his name, there is 100% chance you are talking about the feminine products.

It's nonsensical. Even though I hate it, I'm still hoping for the best.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Dumoulin may get close to Despres of 2013-14 in terms of passing ability. I don't think he'll be as good in terms of skating with the puck on his stick. I also think Despres has a higher ceiling that he'll achieve quicker because he thinks the game faster.

I deleted the rest of it because I agreed with it, this is the only thing I don't agree with. Dumoulin is an excellent skater both with and without the puck and he has showed more poise in the NHL with the puck than Despres. The things Despres clearly has on Dumoulin are physicality, versatility and not getting rattled after a mistake. Both are equally as good skaters and puck movers, but I think Dumoulin has more poise with the puck while Despres is more physical and versatile. Dumoulin is going to surprise a lot of people this year, a consistent Dumoulin is a clone of Martin IMO.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Any friend of Rick and Morty is a friend of mine.

Scuderi should have been Mr. Poopy Butthole though. Remember that for next time.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I deleted the rest of it because I agreed with it, this is the only thing I don't agree with. Dumoulin is an excellent skater both with and without the puck and he has showed more poise in the NHL with the puck than Despres. The things Despres clearly has on Dumoulin are physicality, versatility and not getting rattled after a mistake. Both are equally as good skaters and puck movers, but I think Dumoulin has more poise with the puck while Despres is more physical and versatile. Dumoulin is going to surprise a lot of people this year, a consistent Dumoulin is a clone of Martin IMO.

I think playing him on the right with Scuderi is literally the worst thing for him at this point in his career. If that's what they stick with, Dumo's just going to get ragged on.

At least put Scuderi on the right. Dumoulin can play 1 side but not the other, Scuds can play zero sides. Seems smarter to me to have one guy who can play his side on a pairing instead of zero.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
It's a game day thread! Hooray!

Great job, Bigs.

The D pairings are vomit inducing, but until Perron is sadly traded for a Top 4, this is the business we've chosen.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Any friend of Rick and Morty is a friend of mine.

Scuderi should have been Mr. Poopy Butthole though. Remember that for next time.

But we can never count on Scuderi. We can always count on Mr. Poopy Butthole.

Scuderi is more like Ruben, the homeless Santa that Rick builds Anatomy Park inside of.

Ruben.JPG

scottrodo

Mar 8, 2009
Wheeling, WV
I love the Scuderi picture in post 1. So accurate. I can't help thinking that Scuds is still up here because he has some very damaging photographs or email threads. This has to be blackmail. (I'd sort of be angry if I was a Nailer fan and he turned up down here.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad