Post-Game Talk: #1 | FLYERS 5 at San Jose 3| Wed. Oct. 4

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
1st game of the year was fun to watch. The games from xmas on when the checking starts up at a high level is when we'll see what we have but Coots line looked good and the 4th forsure looked great and as a whole for 1st game next to Mac and Manning everyone played pretty well. Let's kick on the kings tonite with big Sammy in.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Filppula isn't great or anything and I'm not sure he'll last too long on the top PP, but he's still a massive upgrade on Read. He's much more versatile and will still provide some offense throughout the year. That's all they really need from him.

I still would really like to see them get Raffl more involved. Hakstol has seemingly never given the guy a chance to play a meaningful role in his time here. Let him, Leier, and Laughton be three of the main guys on the PK. Simmonds is probably better, but there's really no reason to waste his ice time on the PK.

It's ancient history now, but they actually started with Raffl on PP1 two years ago. I think it lasted about a month before Schenn moved up.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
How much more does Konecny need to get the puck? He just has to plant it in the net.

What really looked promising is the PK with Laughton - Leier and Couts - Simmonds.
Simmonds however is really bad handling the puck at ES, just give it to Patrick!

Can't put Konency with Laughton b/c Laughton isn't a playmaker center, Konecny would end up in the Leier role of just skating and trying to make things happen. Konecny with Patrick or Vorobyev is a future pairing. But it makes more sense this year to put Patrick with Weal and Simmonds while he learns the NHL ropes.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Filpula's distribution last night from the two periods I saw looked pretty good still. Problem is, it looks like he loses the puck easily and/or can't get it from opposition. There is where I have hope for Vorobyov, kid is big and strong and also a hell of a passer.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Filpula's distribution last night from the two periods I saw looked pretty good still. Problem is, it looks like he loses the puck easily and/or can't get it from opposition. There is where I have hope for Vorobyov, kid is big and strong and also a hell of a passer.

You take out Flip and Weise and replace them with Pimp and Oskar and we are going to be cooking with gas.
Just three more years to go and they should be ready, give or take.

Reactions: Flyerfan13

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Gudas looked way off, Manning looked his normal,,, see the reasoning !!!!

Everyone looked good outside of Manning, even A mac wasnt horrid. Couts was a beast, of course he has to raise the puck and score there, but he and his line were very good. G was flying and hot damn having a fast 4th line is huge and how about 20 and 21 on the PK !!!

Reactions: Foggy14

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers

If there's one silver lining to Lindblom getting sent down, it's that he could get a ton of chemistry with Vorobyev and you slap Konecny on that RW as a scoring line next year.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
How much more does Konecny need to get the puck? He just has to plant it in the net.

What really looked promising is the PK with Laughton - Leier and Couts - Simmonds.
Simmonds however is really bad handling the puck at ES, just give it to Patrick!

Can't put Konency with Laughton b/c Laughton isn't a playmaker center, Konecny would end up in the Leier role of just skating and trying to make things happen. Konecny with Patrick or Vorobyev is a future pairing. But it makes more sense this year to put Patrick with Weal and Simmonds while he learns the NHL ropes.

He needs to be playing 15+ minutes a night because good things happen when he has the puck. Why would you not maximize that?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
He needs to be playing 15+ minutes a night because good things happen when he has the puck. Why would you not maximize that?
He played 12 and the Flyers had 10 mins on the PK?

I'm not going to crucify Hak just yet. I mean if the top 2 lines are cruising, that's how it goes. 1st and 2nd seem to be doing well. I think there were about 20 mins of special teams time between PP/PK?

That's going to cut TK a lot since he just plays on PP2 and they don't get that much time.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Feels good that hockey is back. We really made the Sharks look slow and we had a ton of ten bell chances. They came out strong and finished strong. The PP and PK both looked really good.

Yes we are still carting around some boat anchors that seem obvious and I think will be replaced in due course as we do have their replacements already in house and pretty much ready to go.

I was really impressed with Leier and Laughton. Other than Prov and Ghost the entire D makes me nervous as does Elliott. It will be interesting to see the lineup changes tonight and if they can sustain the faster pace.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
nice win but im not going to say this team can contend because i dont trust manning and farmer, not unless elliot and neuvy really have to play out of the minds.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I just want to reiterate how fortunate we are to have Ivan Provorov. He is essentially doing the work of 2 NHL defenseman when paired with MacDonald. He makes such a clean pass, skates effortlessly and handles pressure in all zones so well. I really struggle to find flaws in his game, other than being paired with MacDonald. You can't count the number of things he does right in the span of a shift on both your hands, and the exact opposite can be said for MacDonald. Passes to no one, missing passes, making unsafe plays and I can't stand it.

Yet it was said the other day, that Provy is no better than Rielly, Gardiner or Zaitsev. True story.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Definitely went better than I expected, especially out of the offense. While I'm not happy with him the majority of the time, MacDonald was fine last night. The deflection off of his skate was in true Mac fashion, but you can't really knock him for that. Manning and Gudas were the two worst defensemen out there. I expect Gudas to be fine obviously, but I just can't wrap my head around Manning playing over either 5 or 6. Hagg and Ghost had a few tough moments in the defensive zone but were otherwise solid and provided some nice offense.
Love the 4th line - Laughton is going to save quite a few goals with his backchecking.
TK looked dynamic and while Weise looked rough in the first period, he did step it up later in the game. Weal had a nice game. Was good to see Jake and Ghost put up some points and boost their confidence.

Hoping to see one of the kids in tonight for Manning (wishful thinking, probably) and I'll be a lot happier about that.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Considering Alternate Andy is a lock, I think they should try this tonight:

Provorov - Own Goal
Morin - Gostisbehere
Sanheim - Gudas

Electrocute Manning and give Hagg the night off to try a different look.

Reb, those are my preferred pairings as well, assuming our half-time alternate captain isn't going anywhere.

Electrocution is a novel idea, but some fans might be a bit squeamish. So I'd let Brandon live and travel with the team as the 7th D-man and injury fill-in. Kids gotta play, and I really don't want to see this picture (the one you posted last night) again.

img_20171001_201916-jpg.78203

Reactions: Rebels57

CelticPride

Jan 12, 2015
I know the alternate captains don't mean too too much, but seeing Macdonald with the letter is disappointing, I don't care how vocal he is in the locker room. And yea I know the a's really don't matter , but it's f***ing Macdonald..

Reactions: Rebels57

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Also: Okay, I have hated the Giroux move to wing, but my lord did that line look dangerous...

I'm slowly buying in if this keeps up

Reactions: SnS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad