GDT: 1/20/24 - 12:30PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Buffalo

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Just in case anyone was wondering about how the Dmen did

View attachment 806865

Some interesting decisions when Sergachev and Cernak get back, I'd like to hope that we keep Lilleberg up, scratch De Haan, and that Raddysh continues to play with Hedman.

The real question is who gets to babysit Sergachev. Perbix or Cernak?

Could also see Perbix back with Hedman, not a fan of that but we'll see.
Hedman - Raddysh
Lilleberg - Cernak
Sergachev - Perbix

You can swap Serge and Berg after Serge gets back into the swing of things.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Just in case anyone was wondering about how the Dmen did

View attachment 806865

Some interesting decisions when Sergachev and Cernak get back, I'd like to hope that we keep Lilleberg up, scratch De Haan, and that Raddysh continues to play with Hedman.

The real question is who gets to babysit Sergachev. Perbix or Cernak?

Could also see Perbix back with Hedman, not a fan of that but we'll see.
Idk. As much as De Haan gets crap on here, and rightfully so for the most part, he's been relied on and the glazing is non stop by Engblom. I don't think the opinion is to sit CDH for Lilleberg at the moment. I could see resting him if we clinched later on, but unlikely. I think they view CDH as a solid 3 LD so when Sergachev and Cernak return, he's staying in the lineup.

You typically don't scratch a guy playing top 4 minutes for a rookie that will be your 3 LD when you're trying to make the playoffs. Would probably 95% of us want to see Lilleberg over CDH? Yes. Unlikely imo.

Reactions: Tampa22

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Point moved down low with Crozier and it gave the space needed for the shooter. The attempted hit by Lilleberg was earlier in the sequence so kind of weird to blame him for that play. I'd look at Crozier and Point before him.
I think it was Kucherov's guy even though Point was with him. I've seen it a ton of times where the guy guarding the front of the net abandons the post to attack the puck carrier when he moves through the trapezoid when nobody is with him. This is one of those "zone" breakdowns because Kucherov was no where near anyone, even though we didn't have possession of the puck.

Idk. As much as De Haan gets crap on here, and rightfully so for the most part, he's been relied on and the glazing is non stop by Engblom. I don't think the opinion is to sit CDH for Lilleberg at the moment. I could see resting him if we clinched later on, but unlikely. I think they view CDH as a solid 3 LD so when Sergachev and Cernak return, he's staying in the lineup.

You typically don't scratch a guy playing top 4 minutes for a rookie that will be your 3 LD when you're trying to make the playoffs. Would probably 95% of us want to see Lilleberg over CDH? Yes. Unlikely imo.

Based on the ice time played today, you are probably correct. There are still quite a few games however for that to change.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I think it was Kucherov's guy even though Point was with him. I've seen it a ton of times where the guy guarding the front of the net abandons the post to attack the puck carrier when he moves through the trapezoid when nobody is with him. This is one of those "zone" breakdowns because Kucherov was no where near anyone, even though we didn't have possession of the puck.

Based on the ice time played today, you are probably correct. There are still quite a few games however for that to change.
Agreed. Even then, it's tough to pin blame on one guy, especially Lilleberg. I think that's a sequence where the shift in play handicapped three guys and it's just that Buffalo was better.

Yeah. Unless CDH shits the bed tragically, I don't see the veteran getting sat. Lilleberg would have to impress in a stand out way. He'll likely get the nod or assurance he's the first one back up or he stays as the #7. Unfortunate for Fleury since he was finally starting to show something.

Reactions: Renopucker

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Our scheduling is really messed up. Either everyone else has been getting a lot of time off, or we haven't.

It seems like we've played the most games all year up to this point, all year long.

We get a ton of games in a clump then a block of days off. I am not sure whether that's good or bad, but I'm interested to see how the end of the year schedule compares to other teams in our division/conference.

Meh, disregard. We just played like garbage for a stretch. lol

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Our scheduling is really messed up. Either everyone else has been getting a lot of time off, or we haven't.

It seems like we've played the most games all year up to this point, all year long.

We get a ton of games in a clump then a block of days off. I am not sure whether that's good or bad, but I'm interested to see how the end of the year schedule compares to other teams in our division/conference.

Meh, disregard. We just played like garbage for a stretch. lol

Definitely not a good thing, especially on the road.

4 more back to back matchups the rest of the year after tomorrow and most of those are just a quick bus ride from each other, I think we'll be ok.

Reactions: RDTBay4

Meuracas

Nov 2, 2013
I saw 86 skating towards Cozens as he shot. Cozens could have been Kuch's man? I dunno if he had that down low responsibility or not..
Cozens was Point’s assignment. Crozier lost his man for a moment and was behind play. Point left Cozens to support Crozier (probably shouldn’t have, he wasn’t going to score from behind the net or at least wait for Crozier to take over) and Buffalo took advantage of the opportunity. Kuch and Stammer were close to their D near the blue line.
EB416BCE-CDB5-4191-AFFE-CFB9156FBA51.png

7243E99A-6340-4D6E-8DAC-81B4472779BD.png

Last edited:

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
Cozens was Point’s assignment. Crozier lost his man for a moment and was behind play. Point left Cozens to support Crozier (probably shouldn’t have, he wasn’t going to score from behind the net or at least wait for Crozier to take over) and Buffalo took advantage of the opportunity. Kuch and Stammer were close to their D near the blue line.View attachment 806955
View attachment 806956
That's a good view. Looks to me like Kuch is waiting for something to come out, up the ice. Once he saw Point leave the front he probably should have moved down there. But, that would've left the bluline unmarked, so anyway, here I am questioning the best player in the league right now..

• Haha
Reactions: Rschmitz and gn2007

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Cozens was Point’s assignment. Crozier lost his man for a moment and was behind play. Point left Cozens to support Crozier (probably shouldn’t have, he wasn’t going to score from behind the net or at least wait for Crozier to take over) and Buffalo took advantage of the opportunity. Kuch and Stammer were close to their D near the blue line.View attachment 806955
View attachment 806956

Since we don't play man to man, I wonder if this is by design and players aren't told to prioritize engaging behind the net if he is uncovered. I've seen this way too many times to think they aren't being coached to do it and that there isn't some kind of priority list. I've also seen players not engage and look silly letting the offensive player get free.

I've never played hockey but I've played plenty of zone defense in football and I've been in college level TE blocking schemes. As a TE you're told to chip block before disengaging if you're overwhelmed, and the entire defense is told to do something similar before letting their man go within the first 5 yards to support the safeties etc. There is no way Point just forgets Cozens is there, my guess is he is coached that if he is to leave his man he has to make sure to at least partially disrupt any kind of pass with his stick or that he should hold the post. He fails to do so, and Cozens gets a clean pass for the shot.

Kucherov clearly is skating back as fast as he can so he knows he has some kind of assignment there. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in? Thanks!

Reactions: Meuracas

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Cozens was Point’s assignment. Crozier lost his man for a moment and was behind play. Point left Cozens to support Crozier (probably shouldn’t have, he wasn’t going to score from behind the net or at least wait for Crozier to take over) and Buffalo took advantage of the opportunity. Kuch and Stammer were close to their D near the blue line.

It's this, Point drops his man in a high danger area to risk attacking the puck carrier who's in a low percentage scoring area. Kucherov is just covering Point and reacting once he see's the open man in the slot, it looks like a "low effort" play but there's really not much he could've done there other than what he did which was try to get a stick on it.

Just a bad read from Point because 1) that was the worst possible outcome where the man he drops scores because he dropped the assignment 2) The puck carrier comes out from from there anyways and Point is now stuck behind the net and Kucherov is in no-man's land 3) He gets the puck and has to do a full ice break out.

He should've waited till the puck carrier comes out further so Crozier can recover and take Point's assignment as he challenges him coming out wide.

Experiance: I'm Matt Watson.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrMartinVanNostrand

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
It's this, Point drops his man in a high danger area to risk attacking the puck carrier who's in a low percentage scoring area. Kucherov is just covering Point once he see's he's dropped Cozen's in the slot.

Just a bad read from Point because 1) that was the worst possible outcome where the man he drops scores because he dropped the assignment 2) The puck carrier comes out from from there anyways and Point is now stuck behind the net and Kucherov is in no-man's land 3) He gets the puck and has to do a full ice break out.

He should've waited till the puck carrier comes out further so Crozier can recover and take Point's assignment as he challenges him coming out wide.

Experiance: I'm Matt Watson.
Yeah, pretty much well said. And all this occurs in about 2 seconds. That's why I now play in a beer league.:cool:

Meuracas

Nov 2, 2013
Since we don't play man to man, I wonder if this is by design and players aren't told to prioritize engaging behind the net if he is uncovered. I've seen this way too many times to think they aren't being coached to do it and that there isn't some kind of priority list. I've also seen players not engage and look silly letting the offensive player get free.

I've never played hockey but I've played plenty of zone defense in football and I've been in college level TE blocking schemes. As a TE you're told to chip block before disengaging if you're overwhelmed, and the entire defense is told to do something similar before letting their man go within the first 5 yards to support the safeties etc. There is no way Point just forgets Cozens is there, my guess is he is coached that if he is to leave his man he has to make sure to at least partially disrupt any kind of pass with his stick or that he should hold the post. He fails to do so, and Cozens gets a clean pass for the shot.

Kucherov clearly is skating back as fast as he can so he knows he has some kind of assignment there. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in? Thanks!
Yeah I think you’re definitely onto something here. Played hockey all my life but never organized ie. with a proper coach so I only know what I’ve learned on my own and zone defense is not part of it. :(

However I suppose the best case scenario here would have been that Point steals the puck after applying pressure to the puck carrier and now has a bit of space and time to turn and pass to Kuch who has come down to 1) cover Cozens and 2) offer an easy target for Point to pass to. Also I guess if you were to be aggressive, that’s probably roughly the area where it makes sense to do it before they come out of the corner with limited passing options…?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad