1/2 way mark, rate the team.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
We are at the season halfway mark, and just like we did a quarter of the way through the season, let's grade the team. Everything can be taken into consideration, injuries, suspensions, call ups, signings, etc.

Remember this thread is for discussing the teams progress only up until this point, keep it on subject.

Where we can improve, and what have we improved on since the last poll, etc.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Considering injuries and the team's record, I give this first half A+.
We're not even playing at full capacity. We're missing Orpik, Carlson, Beagle, Johansson and Richards.

Playoffs may be a totally different story but right now no complaints from me.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
The only correct answer is A.

I agree, and that's what I voted. They are however about as nearly perfect as you can get in todays salary cap world, I seriously cannot pinpoint a specific weakness that could be easily addressed. Even upgrading someone like Laich would take some serious maneuvering.

I think getting Richards on the cheap like we did could be that upgrade the Caps were looking for that was needed to improve the roster with minimal risk.

Obviously having everyone healthy is going to be huge again.

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
I voted A. I think the team might have all the pieces, but another bottom 6 forward might be nice also.

I'm fine with Laich. He's on the team - if they can move him, great, but I'm not mad if he's around.

I really want to see this team fully healthy and clicking. We haven't really had a chance to see that. A completely healthy lineup with each line contributing, the defense pairs playing well, and Holtby on top of his game should be scary.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
For those who voted A, would you give A+ if GMBM got rid of Laich?

We all know my answer.

This team isn't perfect. It's awesome, but it's not perfect. They aren't even the best team in Pro Sports today, so how can they be perfect? That's "absurd" to say so. (For your "absurd" lovers out there)

If they could somehow turn Laich and his salary into a real player at 4.5 mil? Or a 3m 3c and another 1.5m defenseman?

Then yes, they'd be close to hockey perfection in the salary cap world.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

We all know my answer.

This team isn't perfect. It's awesome, but it's not perfect. They aren't even the best team in sport today, so how can they be perfect? That's "absurd" to say so. (For your "absurd" lovers out there)

If they could somehow turn Laich and his salary into a real player at 4.5 mil? Or a 3m 3c and another 1.5m defenseman?

Then yes, they'd be close to hockey perfection in the salary cap world.

If I voted "perfect" to me it means perfect given the circumstances. We're 31-7-3 while dealing with all sorts of injuries, suspensions and terrible calls. Could we be any higher than that right now. I don't think so.

Now, there is one thing I don't like in the A+ option, it's that I believe we could still make at least one more move to fine tune the team.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I will give a grade to every player on the team plus the coaching staff and GMBM. The grades are given relative to the expectations for each player at the start of the season.

Ovechkin: A-
Backstrom: A
Oshie: B+
Johansson: B+
Kuznetsov: A
Williams: B+
Chimera: A+
Beagle: A-
Wilson: A-
Laich: C+
Latta: B
Burakovsky: B
Galiev: B

Carlson: A
Orpik: N/A
Alzner: A
Niskanen: A-
Schmidt: A+
Orlov: A-
Chorney: A+

Holtby: A+
Grubauer: A-

Trotz & coaching staff: A+
GMBM: A+

Agree or disagree?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
If I voted "perfect" to me it means perfect given the circumstances. We're 31-7-3 while dealing with all sorts of injuries, suspensions and terrible calls. Could we be any higher than that right now. I don't think so.

Now, there is one thing I don't like in the A+ option, it's that I believe we could still make at least one more move to fine tune the team.

The Golden State Warriore are 33-2 while being reigning champs. They have also missed starters due to injuries. I'm a Bullets fan.

They are A+. Caps are solid A

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I will give a grade to every player on the team plus the coaching staff and GMBM. The grades are given relative to the expectations for each player at the start of the season.

Ovechkin: A- agree
Backstrom: A agree
Oshie: B+ Disagree. Been better
Johansson: B+ Agree
Kuznetsov: A agree
Williams: B+ Agree
Chimera: A+ Agree
Beagle: A- agree
Wilson: A- disagree, been a little worse
Laich: C+ Disagree, worse
Latta: B agree
Burakovsky: B disagree, worse
Galiev: B disagree, worse

Carlson: A agree
Orpik: N/A
Alzner: A disagree, been better
Niskanen: A- agree
Schmidt: A+ Agree
Orlov: A- disagree, been worse
Chorney: A+ Agree

Holtby: A+ Agree
Grubauer: A- agree

Trotz & coaching staff: A+ Agree
GMBM: A+ Agree

Agree or disagree?

Answered in your post

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The Golden State Warriore are 33-2 while being reigning champs. They have also missed starters due to injuries. I'm a Bullets fan.

They are A+. Caps are solid A

NBA and NHL can't be compared. If hockey was like basket ball, where the best player in the world can win games by himself, Ovi would have multiple rings already.

But yeah, 33-2 record is perfect, a clean A+. 31-7-3 given how difficult it is to win at the NHL level is also A+ to me.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
The best regular season point total in the history of the league is 132. The Caps are on pace for 130. If that's not an A+ first half, just go ahead and remove the option from the poll.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
From 19Backstrom's list, agree with everything except for:

Williams A: he has far exceeded expectations
Burakovsky B-: and even thats generous, a lot more was expected
Carlson B+: needs to be better

Funny how all the fans in the league are now acknowledging that Holtby is the best there is.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
NBA and NHL can't be compared. If hockey was like basket ball, where's the best player in the world can win games by himself, Ovi would have multiple rings already.

But yeah, 33-2 record is perfect, a clean A+. 31-7-3 given how difficult it is to win at the NHL level is also A+ to me.

My opinion is upsetting some posters sensibilities. So I will just disagree.

Their record is A+. The team is not. Least not yet. As I said, solid solid A. Not A+

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
A+ but feel free to add to this team as you see fit and don't worry about what it costs in picks and prospects GMBM...

Huge green light to do anything he wants from my end...stand pat, make a splash, tinker etc...

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
My opinion is upsetting some posters sensibilities. So I will just disagree.

Their record is A+. The team is not. Least not yet. As I said, solid solid A. Not A+

You should've said that earlier, it makes sense.

Also, to sycamore, maybe I was a bit generous to Burakovsky because he has picked up his play as of late. Recency bias.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
"A+: perfect, make no changes."

I guess there are some people out there who don't want to alter the roster in any way? Don't want to add any depth?

Call it "some people who don't like to be pigeonholed into a reason for their evaluation". No team is, or ever will be, perfect. It's an impossible standard. I think this team has been as good as anyone could reasonably expect their team to be. I think that warrants an A+. Don't really care how that A+ has been qualified in the poll.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Per the poll criteria: A
Per common criteria where A+ includes nearly perfect: A+

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad