Recalled/Assigned: 1/19/20 - Asplund assigned to Rochester

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Ottawa is a nice stepping stone between AHL and NHL competition. Excited to see how he’ll perform.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Interesting, I'm not high on him as alot are so I'm hoping to be surprised.

Give me a glimmer of light in all this darkness.
I agree, I’ve never seen enough of the kid to get optimistic. He’s looked pretty dull in my limited viewings. Hoping I’m wrong but realistically it’s probably a correct assumption.

Intermission

Jan 17, 2016
Western NY
On the pre game they isolated him doing warm-ups on Hockey Fights Cancer night.
His grandfather fought off cancer long enough to see Rasmus get his Sabres jersey.
That was cool.
edit: Almost scored on a breakaway in the 2nd. Double shifts at the end. Great game.

Last edited:

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Feels like he's been with the organization for a while but its only been 3 years and he's 21(turns 22 soon). Hopefully he improves the PK unit enough.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The thing I like about Asplund is his versatility. He can play center in a checking line role or play on a scoring line and do the dirty work. Similar to Hyman for Matthews. I dont think he's going back down.

Last edited:

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I honestly think that once we're healthy he should go back down and finish the season in Rochester. He may seem ready now, but the reality is that we've only seen him play two games and the playoff experience down there will probably do him much more good than being on this dumpster fire of a team finishing bottom 10 with linemates that can't do anything.

Bring him in with Cozens and Tage next year when trash like sheary, sobotka, and vesey are out of the picture.

Then next year we go:

x-eichel-reinhart
skinner-johansson-x
mittelstadt-cozens-asplund
girgensons-larsson-thompson

Last edited:
Reactions: Buffaloed

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
Three centers on the third line above? Also, I'm still a proponent of splitting Eichel and Reinhart. I don't think they're good together at all at even strength, and haven't been for quite a while.

How about?

Skinner Eichel X
Johansson Cozens Reinhart
Mitts Asplund Thompson
Girgs Larsson X

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Three centers on the third line above? Also, I'm still a proponent of splitting Eichel and Reinhart. I don't think they're good together at all at even strength, and haven't been for quite a while.

How about?

Skinner Eichel X
Mitts Asplund Thompson
Girgs Larsson X

The possibility of that 2nd line next year is gonna be the only reason why I don't quit on the Sabres. Give Jack and Jeff someone nasty who's gonna hit guys and go to the net (Kassian) and that's a really good top 6.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington

How about?

Skinner Eichel X
Mitts Asplund Thompson
Girgs Larsson X
^^
Where did Olofsson go ?
He is learning and progressing in his first season.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
^^
Where did Olofsson go ?
He is learning and progressing in his first season.
I somehow left him off. I don't love him on the top line however. Maybe swap him and Mitts:

Skinner Eichel Mitts
Olofsson Asplund Thompson

I really don't know about the 4th line for next year. The more I think about it, I can't imagine both of Larsson and Girgensons re-signing as UFAs. I would think they'd likely both want a fresh start, especially Larsson. While they're both useful as 4th liners and PK'ers, I'm not sure we can continue to pay guys like that ~$2M per year anyway. Thoughts?

The better route might be finding another legit top 9 C, and move Asplund down to 4C. I'm sure we can find some wingers to play with him. I'd love to see a better player than Mitts at 1RW, but not sure we can fit that into our salary structure, unless it's a short term player.

All of this still points back to us trading away ROR for f***ing nothing. That would've allowed Cozens, Mitts, Asplund to develop in the proper roles. Jason Botterrill messed this organization so much more than I first thought when the trade was made. It had a major ripple effect on the team, because it removed a good player and added several bad players, all the while stunting the development of our Center pipeline. I truly think he needs to be fired, as he's not cut out to be an NHL GM IMO. It should not take this long to make progress in the league.

Reactions: kundahlini

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad