GDT: 1/18 7pm Preds vs Nucks- Pitter Patter Get Back at 'Er Edition.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
So I've noticed this but don't understand - why do y'all think they've put Tolvanen on the point on the PP rather than the half boards?

The PP unit is much more fluid now. Set places aren't as much of a thing in the current system. Where I see the problem is that Tolvy seems to see the soft spot where he can settle in to get the puck is a good 15 feet further out than where he had his limited success on the PP last season. That changes the angle of his shot a little and gives the goalie a slight bit more time to react.

AlwaysPreds

Mar 13, 2019
New Jersey
The PP unit is much more fluid now. Set places aren't as much of a thing in the current system. Where I see the problem is that Tolvy seems to see the soft spot where he can settle in to get the puck is a good 15 feet further out than where he had his limited success on the PP last season. That changes the angle of his shot a little and gives the goalie a slight bit more time to react.

Yes I think that's why I've noticed - he's just too far out now.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
It is apparent that Preds really miss Ekholm. The next man up thing didn’t work for him. They go pretty good with the 3 pairs but they really need to figure out the 7/8. It ain’t nobody I’ve seen yet.

The entire second pair is out and it shows. Ekholm is the key there ... Fabbro is still a giant step up from any of the players we've seen as replacements on that pairing. With both out we break up what is a rather effective 3rd pairing in Benning and Boro while creating an ad hoc 2nd pairing with Benning and a rotating guy from out of the press box (Harpur or Davies). Bringing in a 7/8 to fill the 3rd pairing is one thing ... bringing in 7 and 8 to fill the 2nd and 3rd pairing creates an all new set of issues.

This was never a true 1st place team that had more points based on more games played ... usually a 2nd through 4th in the conference based upon points percentage. Still there after the past few games.

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
Cute is not a word I would use to describe an NHL team, but tonight the Preds seem to feel they could provide a "cutsey" style of passing game and waltz out with a victory. The effort was not there tonight from the gitgo. As soon as Ekholm returns to the lineup, they need to put Carrier in the press box and have him watch and learn. I'm afraid his early success has resulted in his current lack of smart decision making. He needs to spend some time off the ice to focus on what he needs to do to continue his growth.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Well, Preds were supposed to have some holes with “just learning” kids in player roles. So secondary scoring was suspect and young D
a potential problem. At mid-season we should be happy with their position but the holes persist. Jeannot and Trenin have come through but not Tolvanen, Kunin and Tomasino. D just can’t stand 1,2,3 or 4 to be gone. Only effective D subs are for 5/6 only.

Reactions: originalpredfan

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
I agree with OPF, too much cutesy passing and not enough direct shots on net. Rittich was not good at covering up the puck to stop the play. Passing was atrocious unless you were Vancouver in which case you said “thank you very much”.

Just an ugly game all around.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Seems like Rittich is good for one goal against every game which is pretty common for back ups in this league. The Preds need to figure on scoring 4 to expect to win any game he plays.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Rittich was not good, but good enough to win with a competent performance in front of him. Seems like the story with him so far this season, I wasn't concerned before but now I'm at least dusting off the worry meter...
I will dust off the worry meter... when Saros demonstrable breaks down. Saros hasn't played 50 or 60 or 70 games in a season before, so that to me is the REAL worry here. He hasn't been great the last few games, but so far I'm counting that as a "blip". But if it becomes more of a settled issue, well, then we NEED our backup to stand out. We just don't have any data on any of that so far.
:dunno:

Reactions: Scoresberg

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Seems like Rittich is good for one goal against every game which is pretty common for back ups in this league. The Preds need to figure on scoring 4 to expect to win any game he plays.

How about the Preds tighten up the defense when the get their 2 starting Dmen back in the line up?

Like Scoresberg said, it can't be easy playing 1 or 2 times a month, especially when your defense isn't helping.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad