Post-Game Talk: #1 - 10/05/17 | avalanche @ RANGERS | 7:00 - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
As for the talk on how pts will come if we play this well, I think its important to remember that when teams make big changes they often struggle to regain their footing. The NHL regular season is simple to analyse. Its about not losing games, you get not style points. It takes a heck of a lot more to "win" a game then to "lose" it. All the clichés applies...

From my POV, its great that a lot of things is looking great -- for the future, if you get what I mean. To get 100+ pts you need to play well AND be ridiculously consistent.

Further, the outcome of a NHL regular season can hardly be described as being predestined. Its a roller coaster ride and a lot can happen along the way. All teams nowadays are desperate at this time of the year, and you will not get many pts for free. Its about making the game into a coin flip and at most add a few percentage on your side of things. So often the first goal win, and which team that will score the first goal is often based on pure luck.

Toronto and MTL coming up. STL is good. CBJ. Meetings against rivals in NJ, Pit and NYI. All of a sudden you stand there 2-6 or whatever. Or 8-0-0 and you wonder what happened because you didn't even play well.

Just saying, we got to have patience and be prepared to take a punch when it comes to following this team this year.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yeah, AV need to consider top pairings after this game -3 vs bottom rank team in league is not encouraging with Henrik in net, but we all know it takes a while to get Henrik going in the beginning of a season. Ryan Mc. did not had his best game either I think he missed his man on one occasion in that game which Avalanche exploited and scored on. We saw this in playoffs vs Pens with Shattenkirk @Ola so it is not a surprise for me, but it`s only 1 game.

I won`t do a whole team evaluation, but Chytil he was confused at times with 4th line TOI, AV saw this and benched him due to one penalty, but AV and young players - it`s better to send him home so he get top 6 minutes and develop his overall skillset.
M. Staal & DeAngelo had a good game, and Skjei had a strong game in my opinion was physical when needed.

Nash looked much younger out there, frisky, active - it was fun to watch him, but we just need to finish plays.
Zucc not his best game - he need to start to shot the puck, but he had great passes in that game - unlucky that we did not score. Maybe Zib should have 3 goals in that game, but scoring two is a great start.

I`ve mention it before I don`t like the Hayes line since end of last season & playoffs, AV need to do something here and be creative - he can`t start to shorten TOI and bench after 10 minutes of 1st period. If AV going to continue to use Chytil - we need Miller on that line since Chytil lost most of his FO% as well.
Nash can play with Hayes line. so swap Miller & Nash. Miller was good on FO% last night.

Miller - Chytil - Zucc (If he get his 9 NHL games)

otherwise

Nash - Miller - Zucc.

Last edited:

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Hard not to be disappointed by losing at home, in the opener, to a team unlikely to win 30 games this year. Next to Vegas, Colorado is the worst roster in the league.

That said, this was one of those games that looked like we should win 9 times out of 10 based on the scoring chances, so let's just hope it was bad luck in the finishing department.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
It was Varlamov being as good as he is, not missing luck in the finishing department. And I don't get why nobody is talking about that first goal, which came after Hank almost got caught hot-dogging. He saves the puck with his glove, but doesnt close it, the puck drop in front of him and boom, we're back 1-0. That stank, and I dont care that a defenseman should have had the shooter. No, Hank should have saved and froze that puck. He doesn't drup the puck, that goal doesn't happen.

Arniel is still here! That hasn't changes and it's baffling. AV still up with the rotations mid game.

Skjei was dominant imo. Buch had a magical game. Hank was doodoo, and I hope he can get it together somewhat. PK was doodoo.

Zucc didn't do much because basically AV put our 2 strongest forwards with the 18y old kid, in order to minimize the risk of catastrophe due to Chytils inexperience and butterflies.

Saturday should tell us more. We were absolute dog-shit 5v5. That's gotta change. If not, tank for Dahlin ... but looks to me Pittsburgh is gonna do that.

Reactions: Ori

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
If Zbad keeps shooting like that and hitting the net, that is good. Offensively, at least chances wise they looked good. Defensively, forwards included, not so good.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
The Rangers dominated the game. They couldn't finish. Hank got outplayed by Varlamov. They lost.

The Rangers should be a good possession team this year. I'm not confident that Hank is still elite. This team should be a good test case for predictive analytics.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The goals were not on 27 and 22

One goal third man high left alone by forward hank instead of squaring up in a butterfly and making a glove save does his usual 1980s glove/kick save save selection this is horrific and literally drops the puck out of his glove and on the tape of Duchene’s stick.

2nd one again third man high bad job by 93 and hank gets beat clean on the goal line with a half slap shot he absolutely should have stopped

Third one is an empty net. None of that is on the defense pairing. So far from concerned about them.

I liked all 3 pairings last night including the Staal DeAngelo pairing I thought they were solid.

Whole team did look like a team that hadn’t played in 10 Days and not once as a finished lineup. Once again it’s an awful preseason plan by AV.

I expect us to be better on Saturday including Hank who definitely looked like a guy who hadn’t played in 2 weeks

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Hank alluded to the 10 day break being something that didn't really help him last night.

Whole team just needs to find it's groove.

I definitely did feel like the preseason was done a little poorly in terms of getting the final roster to play a game or two, but I guess with so much competition, they just had to give extended looks.

I do agree, they'll be better over the course of the next few games. Shaking the rust off. Beginning of every season is the same for everyone. Offense is more coheesive than the D at the start, and then it all settles in within a few weeks.

Reactions: Ori

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
It's just one game, there will be plenty more. But yeah it sucks losing to the Avalanche on opening night at home.

Reactions: Vinny

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Take this PP and inject it into my veins. It looked great.

More accurate ZBad shot + Shattenkirk - McDonagh - Stepan = way better PP

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why is Vesey on the PK?

Because AV decided he needed to reward Grabner with a top 9 spot and Desharnais with PP minutes. Then everyone went "what are you doing with Vesey?"

Vesey should be on the 3rd line, no special team minutes for now, but potentially on the PP with an injury or a guy in the box, something like that. He's not a PK guy.

Take this PP and inject it into my veins. It looked great.

More accurate ZBad shot + Shattenkirk - McDonagh - Stepan = way better PP

The first unit is good, as it should be.

The second is upsetting me. I don't like how he has Desharnais and McDonagh on the 2nd unit. Chytil should take Desharnais's spot, and Hayes should take McDonagh's spot.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Fun reminder: Hank always starts slow and never plays well with gaps between games. Happy Friday everyone.

Reactions: mrjimmyg89

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
i was worried about our 5 on 5 production, and we didnt score but we created a ton of good chances so that bodes well, Varlamov always transforms into Varlamasek against us anyway. Lets not lose to the LEafs I cant stand them.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Lets see if I can pass the eye test lol

1st goal against, Chytil did not pick up his man coming back even though Zucc pointed it out seconds before as the Avs were breaking into the zone. Hank drops the puck but the Avs have two men in the crease to only one Ranger. It was bad coverage that caused bad coverage and a drop of the puck. Shattenkirk was not really doing much there either half hearted stick check attempt while giving up positioning.

2nd goal against, Vesey need to block that pass or do something other than what he did.

3rd against, Zbad makes a bad pinch/hit attempt, 3 men trapped, Buch is slow to pick up his back check, Lundqvist gets beat clean by a pretty good yet stoppable shot.

4th is empty net, whatever

Last edited:

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
You know how I know the eye-test is bad? When you can't even remember that the Rangers gave up four goals last night, not three, and you try to breakdown the goals, but have them wrong.

The 2nd goal was horrible PKing, royal road pass. Why is Vesey on the PK?

Third goal is terrible gap control by the back-checking forwards, I agree that this one I'd like to have seen Hank save.

Fourth goal is the empty net.

Quick look at any stat sheet would've saved you this mistake :)

He's counting the goals against for mcdonagh and Shattenkirk since they were a minus 3

Reactions: Open Mind and Krams

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
DD over Chytil on the PP seems like AV up to his old tricks. If you're going to have Chytil playing in the NHL at 18, you might as well give him every chance to succeed. He's going to make mistakes, sure... but that's part of the learning process. If you're just going to give him sheltered time, then he should just go and play for Czech team and log important minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad