'07 Goalies

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Don't know much about them but there's no pure talent like the previous years. Maybe Cann will go in the late first round if a team really need a goaltender for the future, but don't expect much for this year. Many should be draft in the second/third round.

BTW, welcome on HF

pdxshark

Apr 26, 2006
Portland, OR
Mucha is a great project, has horrible GAA and svpct but he plays behind a porous, young defense in portland. I would like to see him taken in the late second-3rd round. He's got great reactions, great lateral movement and perhaps his best trait is his mental game, he doesnt let things get to him. He leads the dub in mins played and total saves and has played in 51 games as a 17 year old.

He's a goaltender who really needs to improve two major things before becomming an elite goaltender, save selection and rebound control, two closely related areas of goaltending that are 100% coachable.

Anyone else who's seen him have any opinions? I see him a lot because i'm a portland fan but am usually pretty objective when evaluating goaltenders (see dustin butler :) )

Also from the dub sexsmith may very well be second goaltender taken. I think potential him and mucha are about the same but at this point in their development, he's the more polished goaltender. I've been impressed with his rebound control and down movement.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
there is no one like price, rask or irving in this draft, but there are some good ones. here is my top 10.

1. trevor cann
2. tyson sexsmith
3. jeremy smith
4. joel gistedt
5. justin leclerc
6. kurtis mucha
7. brad phillips
8. matthias modig
9. linden rowat
10.vadim zhelobnyuk

baboinfou

Mar 31, 2006
No love for Antoine Lafleur from the PEI Rockets?

6' 4" keeper who is now the #1 of his team. Lot of ice time and pretty good numbers.

Should be on your radar.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
No love for Antoine Lafleur from the PEI Rockets?

6' 4" keeper who is now the #1 of his team. Lot of ice time and pretty good numbers.

Should be on your radar.

i have heard good things about him, but the thing is i haven't seen anything of him. so i cant make a fair judgement at this point. from what i have heard i would put him around 12-13 right now, but i have too at least see some videos to put him in the top 10.

hockeyismylife

Feb 18, 2007
Canada
My top 10 probably looks something like this:

1. Trevor Cann (OHL)
2. Jeremy Smith (OHL)
3. Linden Rowat (WHL)
4. Antoine Lafleur (QMJHL)
5. Bradley Eidsness (AJHL)
6. Tyson Sexsmith (WHL)
7. Andrew Engelage (OHL)
8. Nicola Riopel (QMJHL)
9. Brad Philips (NTDP)
10. Kurtis Mucha (WHL)

Probably not the most accurate list but I figured I would give it a shot.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
My top 10 probably looks something like this:

1. Trevor Cann (OHL)
2. Jeremy Smith (OHL)
3. Linden Rowat (WHL)
4. Antoine Lafleur (QMJHL)
5. Bradley Eidsness (AJHL)
6. Tyson Sexsmith (WHL)
7. Andrew Engelage (OHL)
8. Nicola Riopel (QMJHL)
9. Brad Philips (NTDP)
10. Kurtis Mucha (WHL)

Probably not the most accurate list but I figured I would give it a shot.

pretty good list. gistedt should be on it, but i guess you havent seen him.
who is bradley eidsness?? i have never heard about him.

hockeyismylife

Feb 18, 2007
Canada
He plays for the Okotoks Oilers of the AJHL. Here is is profile:

http://www.ajhl.ab.ca/leagues/rosters_profile.cfm?clientID=1705&leagueID=3464&teamID=91078&playerID=184041&pos=G

He was ranked 7th for the mid term central scouting rankings. Rowat, Sexsmith, and him all grew up sort of the same area around Calgary. IIRC, him and Rowat played together on the same Bantam "AAA" team and he played on the same Midget "AAA" team that Sexsmith had played on.

Also, he is ranked right now as an 'A' goalie right now by central scouting.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
He plays for the Okotoks Oilers of the AJHL. Here is is profile:

http://www.ajhl.ab.ca/leagues/rosters_profile.cfm?clientID=1705&leagueID=3464&teamID=91078&playerID=184041&pos=G

He was ranked 7th for the mid term central scouting rankings. Rowat, Sexsmith, and him all grew up sort of the same area around Calgary. If I recall correctly, him and Rowat played together on the same Bantam "AAA" team and he played on the same Midget "AAA" team that Sexsmith had played on.

Also, he is ranked right now as an 'A' goalie right now by central scouting.

interesting. where is he going to college. i expect thats where he is going since he is playing in the AJHL.

hockeyismylife

Feb 18, 2007
Canada
interesting. where is he going to college. i expect thats where he is going since he is playing in the AJHL.

He is going to North Dakota. I am not sure if he is going next year or the year after.

Also, I think his WHL rights belong to Red Deer. That may not be true though as they may have dropped him or traded him since they drafted him a few years ago.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
What about European goalies like Owuya? Is he projected to be drafted late 2nd/early 3rd round and how does he rank compared to the NA players?

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
I think D'Orso is primed to drop like Levasseur did during his draft season. He played Vincent out of a spot, but then the club acquired Duchesne at the end of December and D'Orso has played only six games since then. He's very solid though, and I would place him among the top Q goaltenders for this season's draft. Whoever gets him (especially if he falls significantly) should get a solid prospect.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
What about European goalies like Owuya? Is he projected to be drafted late 2nd/early 3rd round and how does he rank compared to the NA players?

gistedt is without a doubt the best european goalie eligible. he could have been drafted in 06 aswell. he is 19 years old and has allready played a feaw games for the swedish national team. he reminds me alot of henrik lundqvist.

another one is mattias modig. he is also 19, but he has gone undrafted two times. he is a starter for he's SEL team lulea and has very impressive stats. could be a possible late round pick.

i dont know to much about owuya. i have had very limited wiewing on him. but from what i have seen i dont think he will be an NHL goalie.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Juha Metsola of Ilves Jr. is a prospect worth some attention - not only due to the latest results of the team's goalie coaching (Rask, Helenius). He has developed his game this year a lot after getting his chance in A junior level when Helenius got an injury and will most probably get a ticket to Team Finland in U18 WJC. The small size is the biggest questionmark.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad