05 Draft Needs and Wants...

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
What does your team need? Who do you think they are going to pick? Who do they want them to pick (make them realistic!)...

I hope Minnesota takes a top 6 forward/winger. They have little depth after Voloshenko and Irmen.

I want to them to pick Jack Skille or Nicklas Bergfors but realistically they might take a surprise pick or Rask if he is there...

They need a goaltender but not as much as another top 6 winger.

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Habs always say they choose the best player available no matter what positon, and as much as I'd like to see them draft Alex Bourret the Habs could really use a good D prospect, there already in a good position when it comes to forwards.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
The Leafs need an impact scorer, preferably a fast left winger but any position up front will do. A want would be a goaltender and a punishing-type defenceman.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
The Preds need 4 things...

center
goal scoring
rugged defenseman
goalie

I can't say the order of the need other than to say that center is probably the highest. Skating is a must, especially with the forward position. Size is nice and getting a center/scorer would kill two birds with one stone. Other than that, I'd say it might be a BPA situation to fill as many of these needs as often as possible.

Clutch Mediocrity

May 8, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario
www.4thegame.com
As always, I'd like Ottawa to take the BPA in the first round (unless that happens to be a goaltender/soft, scoring RW). After that we can draft for need if we wish. We have the luxury of having many good, young NHL'ers along with some solid prospects so the BPA is really the only way to go for us IMO when we are looking to invest a top 30 selection.

I'd want a sure fire all-star powerforward who is a natural LW, but those guys are always early and realistically we'll never get one as long as we remain competitive. If Ottawa wants to get one via the draft, we're going to have to gamble with a 1st rounder when the riskier powerforward types remain and the Lindros' and the Messier's are gone. Or just trade up.....

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
SmokeyClause said:
The Preds need 4 things...

center
goal scoring
rugged defenseman
goalie

Gonna be tough to get that in one player ;)

I dont think they'll need a goalie for a while. I could see Nashville going after Zagrapan, he is a sneaky center that can score

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
The Ducks' needs are summed up with one name-Marc Staal. Him and Smid make for a very nice top pairing, and if they sell the farm(which probably won't happen unless Al Coates gets the GM job), they also have a shot at Marc's brother next season.

Seriously, other than the big 3, I'd only want Anze Kopitar and Bobby Ryan over him. Pouliot is overrated IMO.

Onion Boy

Jan 29, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Rangers needs (assuming top ten pick):

Probably looking offense, preferably center. Will certainly not pass up on an elite defenseman still on the board however. They will not pick a goalie and among skaters are definately looking to add size to the system.

The Rangers like American players as well as NCAA prospects. Could easily grab Johnson or Ryan or go with Skille if the pick is lower. Depending on Christer Rockstrom's opinion, the Rangers might also be targeting Kopitar.

In the later rounds the Rangers might look to take a couple defensemen since our D prospect pool, while solid, is aging. In 2004 the Rangers only took one defenseman in the entire draft. Again, size is also something the Rangers will target as many of our skilled forwards are rather small.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Chicago needs a superstar goal scorer more than anything

ruutu's not enough for you? :dunno: guess you can always use more of those though

hell the rangers could use just what every other team could...a top forward or top defensive prospect.

i agree though that they might want a good center first all other things equal. an elite D like Johnson would be welcome as well...they have a solid group of young D but could use that sure #1 guy

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Rangers: Need to get either a #1 d-man or a top line scorer - preferably center - but it would obviously be BPA at forward...

As for wants - probably take some high risk/reward players as the draft progresses. We have plenty of 3rd/4th liners and 5-7 defenseman. Only take a goalie later if they feel the scouts REALLY saw something...

chaachie12

Mar 13, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
Visit site
DoobieDoobieDo said:
What does your team need? Who do you think they are going to pick? Who do they want them to pick (make them realistic!)...

I hope Minnesota takes a top 6 forward/winger. They have little depth after Voloshenko and Irmen.

I want to them to pick Jack Skille or Nicklas Bergfors but realistically they might take a surprise pick or Rask if he is there...

They need a goaltender but not as much as another top 6 winger.

I agree Doobie...top 6 forward is most pressing. Winger especially. I say the second round is a good spot for a goalie this year for the Wild.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
A #1 center to take over when Modano retires. A guy like Zagrapan would be nice.

Clash*

Jan 18, 2003
Panthers are in need of the same thing for the third year in a row. They need a crease clearing defenseman, and have stated Ryan Parent as the first player they're targeting. They also need to look for prospects in net above all else except the bruiser on defense. They grabbed Shantz last year and he bombed this past season. The third priority would be a high profile left winger that can put the puck in the net. They have too many questions down the left side. Will Huselius get his groove back, like in the SEL? Is "CLANK" Hagman's favorite sound? Will Nedorost stay healthy and finally break out? Will Olesz show he deserves a spot on the team and if so at center or on the wing? Basically said, the Panthers need to go BPA, but with the prospect depth and needs strongly influencing their decision.

Matt Foley*

Columbus prospect needs, IMO, are as follows:

1. Top pairing defenseman - Jack Johnson would be ideal
2. Goaltender - Leclaire needs some competition
3. Playmaking center
4. Big, physical forwards

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
LA Kings -
I hope they pick Rask simply because we havent ever had a good golie and i want our team to once in its history to have a good golie or elite and i believe Rask could become really good. Going by all the things i've heard about how the draft will go Kings will prob be around pick #10-15 so i'm hoping Rask is still available if not I'd go with Staal if he still there since we need more defense prospects and if that fails any player really isnt bad as long as they turn out good =) and i trust our scouts

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
The Flames need a top six forward, like normal. Which forward position is tough, I would guess on the wing, McArdle would be brilliant depending on where they pick, though center would certainly be welcome as well. Then some more depth on D and in G with the rest of the draft should be the goal IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad