GDT: 03/30/2013 | Los Angeles Kings @ Minnesota Wild | 7:00 PM CST FSN & FSWI

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
57892_10152696453545223_109742626_n.jpg

Can't say Quick wasn't seeing the puck well... he looked that one right into the back of the net! :sarcasm:

SP1966

Feb 11, 2013
Las Vegas
Just so nice looking at the standings and seeing us back in the #3 spot. Just makes me feel like all is right with the world when we flip with Vancouver again.

I generally lurk around here durring games but poking around tonight I find the contrast between our board and the 'Nucks interesting. Both teams with the same point total, Minn one game in hand. Plus/Minus in Minny's favor, but not hugely. The division is still very much in play and yet we are celebratory and they are suicidal.

Just interesting what all the years of meh hockey for us vs. being a Cup contender the past few years for them will do to perspective.

Its been a great ride this year, I'm just glad we can enjoy it as opposed to 'Nucks fans!! LOL

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I generally lurk around here durring games but poking around tonight I find the contrast between our board and the 'Nucks interesting. Both teams with the same point total, Minn one game in hand. Plus/Minus in Minny's favor, but not hugely. The division is still very much in play and yet we are celebratory and they are suicidal.

Just interesting what all the years of meh hockey for us vs. being a Cup contender the past few years for them will do to perspective.

Its been a great ride this year, I'm just glad we can enjoy it as opposed to 'Nucks fans!! LOL

I think the difference is the path the two teams took to the point total. Vancouver had a significant lead in points on us for quite some time. The Wild went on a decent run right when Vancouver started playing mediocre hockey, the Wild caught up. It took everything from the Nuck then to just keep pace since.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
With his play tonight, I hope that Clark has earned his way into a regular shift on the Wild blueline the rest of the way. I would like to see a veteran like him to calm things down when things get crazy in the back-end.

SP1966

Feb 11, 2013
Las Vegas
I think the difference is the path the two teams took to the point total. Vancouver had a significant lead in points on us for quite some time. The Wild went on a decent run right when Vancouver started playing mediocre hockey, the Wild caught up. It took everything from the Nuck then to just keep pace since.

I would say the opposite is true also. While the Wild have been playing very well for some time now and winning vs. getting by, they're not exactly steamrolling the competition. They have had to win 8 of the past 9 just to maintain the tie in points.

I really think the difference mostly stems from the past couple of seasons.

Either way, as I said, I'll take it!!

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND

Don't forget, they are playing a "cupcake" schedule as well.

LemaireisGOD

Jul 19, 2010
Nowhere, WI
My take...

http://www.stateofhockeynews.com/2013-articles/march/wild-vs-stanley-cup-champs.html

I have to admit I am amazed Jonathan Quick was fooled by Koivu's move. His reaction was hilarious and priceless. The Wild had some great moments, controlling the pace of this game in a way we never would've seen last season. The Penalty kill needs some work but other than that the team keeps finding ways to win. I have a full game recap plus prospect updates on Graovac, Lucia and Nanne. Check it out!

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I would say the opposite is true also. While the Wild have been playing very well for some time now and winning vs. getting by, they're not exactly steamrolling the competition. They have had to win 8 of the past 9 just to maintain the tie in points.

I really think the difference mostly stems from the past couple of seasons.

Either way, as I said, I'll take it!!

I agree the Wild have had to win a very large amount to just keep pace... but that is on top of their already very good run of games leading to that point. Vancouver was in the middle of collapsing when the Wild caught them, and they've managed to turn things around and start squeaking out some very tight wins and get a streak to maintain, but it still doesn't pass the eye test when winning such a poor shootout game vs Columbus for example, and then they see us beating teams like Detroit and San Jose.

I still say it's the path to the points that is making the biggest difference.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.

Part of it could also be the overall path the teams are going to be taking in the future.

Our window is starting to open while theirs is about to slam shut.

PariseSuterKoivu

Jul 9, 2012
I do think Clark gives us a settling influence on the 3rd pairing. Liking that acquisition alot. Not to mention playoff experience and just plain depth. Good job CF.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
After reading the Kings board they are pretty confident they will wipe the floor with us if we meet in the playoffs. It doesn't say much for their chances when we beat them when we play sub-par like this. All things said, I like the Kings. But I really feel like we're the better team.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
After reading the Kings board they are pretty confident they will wipe the floor with us if we meet in the playoffs. It doesn't say much for their chances when we beat them when we play sub-par like this. All things said, I like the Kings. But I really feel like we're the better team.

If we play like we did a week ago, we can beat anybody handily.

If we play like we have been this week... we can still beat anybody, but a lot of it is left to chance. Like last nights zebra circus extravaganza.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

I think it's too close to call. Both teams matchup well against each other IMO.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
I think it's too close to call. Both teams matchup well against each other IMO.

It is very close indeed. But, considering they won the cup last year, that is saying a lot about our improvements. I would give them the offensive edge, but top to bottom I think we are better. Both teams with subject defense. I also got the impression that Quick isn't the goalie he was last year, a lot of people calling for Bernier.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
It is very close indeed. But, considering they won the cup last year, that is saying a lot about our improvements. I would give them the offensive edge, but top to bottom I think we are better. Both teams with subject defense. I also got the impression that Quick isn't the goalie he was last year, a lot of people calling for Bernier.

I disagree. I think, on paper, LA is clearly the better team in basically every position.

That said, the better team on paper isn't always the better team. So many teams that are the better ones on paper don't win in the playoffs (enter SJ, etc). LA did last season, but can they repeat that performance? Doubt it.

We played medium tonight, with a stronger 3rd, and won. If we play like we were a week and a half ago or so we honestly can beat anyone even if they are better on paper.

Personally, I REALLY want to see what this team can do in the...do I say it? Playoffs.

I just feel like that first line would take over.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I disagree. I think, on paper, LA is clearly the better team in basically every position.

That said, the better team on paper isn't always the better team. So many teams that are the better ones on paper don't win in the playoffs (enter SJ, etc). LA did last season, but can they repeat that performance? Doubt it.

We played medium tonight, with a stronger 3rd, and won. If we play like we were a week and a half ago or so we honestly can beat anyone even if they are better on paper.

Personally, I REALLY want to see what this team can do in the...do I say it? Playoffs.

I just feel like that first line would take over.

Well Parise got a whiff of The Cup last season... I have to imagine he'll play like a man possessed when we get there.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

One thing you are forgetting... playoff hockey in no way shape or form resembles regular season hockey. It is an absolutely grueling endeavor. Their size would absolutley take a toll on our team in a 7 game series. I think you are really selling their team short right now.

AT BEST - these two are about as evenly matched as teams come.

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
My take:

The Wild came out and played fast. They had all kinds of speed tonight. They also came in waves especially later in the game. Clark looked good surprisingly. Coyle had a good game tonight as well. 1st line was terrific tonight with tons of pressure. Backstrom was good despite giving up 3 goals.

Clutterbuck and Brodziak should throw 500 pucks onto the ice tomorrow and not leave until they are all in the net. They need to step up in that department a lot. Stoner had a terrible turnover that cost us.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
They are missing a couple of key components on their back end. I really would not like to see them in the early rounds.

TheSlovenian

Aug 23, 2011
Ljubljana
They are missing a couple of key components on their back end. I really would not like to see them in the early rounds.

Unfortunately, the Kings defense is no way near as good as last year. Without Green and Mitchell in the lineup, they are seriously handicaped. And Quick is no way near last years performance. That's why I am surprised, how many games they have won this season.

I would love to see your team against the Kings in the PO, although I think LAK have a slight edge because of the experience and their style of play.

Congrats on this win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad