Post-Game Talk: 0-for-5 on the PP and the last 5 games, Jets lose 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
After having a short sleep, dog doesn't care that i was out last night:laugh:, the Jets played a pretty good game but just like the Edmonton game that PP killed us. I really would let Lauer go today , you can't even tell what the Jets are trying to run on the PP because nobody is moving around skating with the puck trying to create confusion for the PK , it's the Jets that look confused. I realize we don't have a McJesus out there but we still have enough talent to at least score 1 PP goal in 5 tries. The arena was packed and sold out even all the luxury boxes were full, the Jets could have had that place rocking with even 1 PP goal ,It's too bad that didn't happen. When the entire arena is yelling shooooot on the PP you know the PP needs improvement.:laugh:
We are on to a number of coaches/asst coaches who cannot get our PP working... there has to be some other reason no one seems willing to move Scheif back into bumper or to really shake up our deployment. Truly baffling.

He outplayed Samberg, which is interesting since Samberg has always been the darling of these forums while Stanley has been most people’s whipping boy.
I dont think we are doing anyone any favours by sitting them for 2-3 games at a time... I do like the Stanley-Samberg pairing - but you also can't have Morrissey playing half the game because Bones doesn't have confidence in his third pairing - or anyone else on the power play...

At this point I don't really care who is in but I just want to see a set line up from now until the playoffs.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I went back to the PGTs from last year around this time and you could probably copy and paste into this year and no one would notice.

I also can't find it so my mind might be playing tricks on me, but last year weren't we bemoaning the poor PP which improved once Lauer returned from his wife's illness? Ironic.

CaptainUgly

Jackie made me look in the mirror for punishment
Apr 22, 2018
Looking at the rest of the games left....with how this team is playing I think a WC is the most we can hope for.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I'll join the chorus that says we played a really good game and had some really great chances that we didn't capitalize on. This game could have easily gone either way.

On a personal note, I badly wanted us to overtake Vancouver in the conference standings and it looks like that won't happen, even with the Canucks losing of late. My folks will be out here on June 2nd to celebrate and I was so hoping to have a sliver of hockey bragging rights. There's always the option that we'll last longer in the playoffs than the Canucks, but that would require us to get a powerplay first.

Yeah, like that's going to happen.
Scheifele needs to be the trigger man in front of the net. He doesn’t have the creativity to be the set up guy. He also puts on his lead skates for the PP.
Move him and things will improve somewhat.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Scheifele needs to be the trigger Neman in front of the net. He doesn’t have the creativity to be the set up guy. He also puts on his lead skates for the PP.
Move him and things will improve somewhat.
Feel like this pp still thinks it has Laine-Buff-Wheeler and the current players can't fulfill those guys' roles/skills on it. They need to try something different in my view.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I think I just figured out what's wrong with our power play.

1711729455144.jpeg

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
I had time to reflect on last nights game now. I actually think we played the right way and I thought our 5 v 5 play was very similar to the December/early January style that we were so successful at. Take away the 2 empty netters and really this was a close 2-1 game. I think we actually outplayed Vegas last night (other than special teams, but that was also an issue in December/january) and if we run that game 10 times with that performance I like our chances to win 7 or 8 times with helly in net. (Also kind of a tough break with 10 mins left with Scheif leaving (not blaming the loss on that, but couldn’t have helped)).

We have to find a way to improve our PP though, even just to an average level. If we play 5v5 like we did last night, the PP doesn’t have to be elite, but going 0-5 can’t be a habit. Even a 20% PP probably gets us a wins this week vs. both the oilers and Vegas.

Overall though, I was really encouraged with the 5 v 5 play last night and even with a bad PP I think we would win that game more often than not.

The tough part: I think the initial negative thoughts from many are likely more a result of being frustrated with the fact that this was a 5th straight loss and less about how they actually played. Which isn’t good. But their play was totally different 5v5 compared to the New Jersey & Islander games. And that’s positive.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I was thinking the same thing, it looks like they're still trying to set up a Laine one timer.
They are absolutely trying to find that perfect shot - and that might explain the perpetual passing and the tentative shooting choices.
55/81 seem to be over thinking things out there - I wish they would just get it on the net and send the rest in for rebounds / tips / screens.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I had time to reflect on last nights game now. I actually think we played the right way and I thought our 5 v 5 play was very similar to the December/early January style that we were so successful at. Take away the 2 empty netters and really this was a close 2-1 game. I think we actually outplayed Vegas last night (other than special teams, but that was also an issue in December/january) and if we run that game 10 times with that performance I like our chances to win 7 or 8 times with helly in net. (Also kind of a tough break with 10 mins left with Scheif leaving (not blaming the loss on that, but couldn’t have helped)).

We have to find a way to improve our PP though, even just to an average level. If we play 5v5 like we did last night, the PP doesn’t have to be elite, but going 0-5 can’t be a habit. Even a 20% PP probably gets us a wins this week vs. both the oilers and Vegas.

Overall though, I was really encouraged with the 5 v 5 play last night and even with a bad PP I think we would win that game more often than not.

The tough part: I think the initial negative thoughts from many are likely more a result of being frustrated with the fact that this was a 5th straight loss and less about how they actually played. Which isn’t good. But their play was totally different 5v5 compared to the New Jersey & Islander games. And that’s positive.
I think overall, there's been an uptick in how the team has played in the last few games, starting with the Washington game.. the 1st and 3rd vs Edmonton were good, and last night 5v5 was fairly solid after a bit of a slow start

Overall, the team is trending in the right direction on terms of pace and style if play. Guys are doing a much better job of supporting each other when pressuri g the puck and guys are tracking back hard through the middle of the ice consistently. Those were two things that we were doi g really well when the team had success early in the season

There is still some work to be done and obviously we aren't going anywhere with a PP that is 0fer, but efforts like that will give us a chance to win games

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

TBH, I don't look at it as being negative - fans are going to react when things don't work out or what's the point in showing up here? Pom Poms only take you so far.

Reactions: Bigfish

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'll join the chorus that says we played a really good game and had some really great chances that we didn't capitalize on. This game could have easily gone either way.

On a personal note, I badly wanted us to overtake Vancouver in the conference standings and it looks like that won't happen, even with the Canucks losing of late. My folks will be out here on June 2nd to celebrate and I was so hoping to have a sliver of hockey bragging rights. There's always the option that we'll last longer in the playoffs than the Canucks, but that would require us to get a powerplay first.

Yeah, like that's going to happen.
There is a chance we may play Vancouver in the first round now, maybe we win and you get the ultimate bragging rights.

I still have PTSD from the '92 and '93 playoff losses to the Canucks, I'd love to see the Jets eliminate them.

It looked sold out last night for sure. Very loud at times as well.
15,225 in attendance according to the game summary

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
On a personal note, I badly wanted us to overtake Vancouver in the conference standings and it looks like that won't happen, even with the Canucks losing of late. My folks will be out here on June 2nd to celebrate and I was so hoping to have a sliver of hockey bragging rights.
Celebrate? Is that when you graduate? When do you find out if you have your degree?

Last edited:
Reactions: GNP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad