OT: ♫ The Music Thread ♫

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The other song that comes to mind is The Window by the Black Dahlia Murder. That is without a doubt the most f***ed up content I've ever heard covered in a song. If you're not used to death metal, don't look up. Trust me.

But the thing is, The Window is just barely gory enough to be stupid.

Angel of Death isn't stupid. It's a cold recount of real Holocaust torture methods.

People, metalheads or otherwise, have often inquired about my most shocking lyrics, and they're surprised when it's not "Chopped Up and Fed to a Dog" by AnalSavage (I made that up). Because that's stupid. Slam is stupid. That's why I like it from time to time.

Nah man, Angel of Death. It's the coldest song ever.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Im seeing Iration, Pepper and Artificial Sound System together in a few months. I also have Rancid and Green Day together in August, and New Found Glory celebrating 20 years of Catalyst. I also have Rivals sometime soon. Im also seeing Spose in July.

Reactions: Machinehead

billycouldride

Dec 10, 2013
I came across an EP by a band called Unpeople. It’s a mix of musical styles, with some good teeth to it and it’s a nice breath of fresh air. Highly recommend giving it a spin,

Elvis P

London Calling
Dec 10, 2007
Goddamn Wrecks fan
distrokid.com
We may have discussed this before but what are your favorite alternative NYC bands? I think they're the most influential alternative bands ever. I like:

1716915471357.png

1716915563258.png

1716915603241.png

1716915716271.png

Talking Heads - Perhaps the best rhythmic rock band ever.

1716915804158.png

1716915879152.png

Patti Smith - "Jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine".

1716915978890.png

1716916130432.png

Reactions: Dr Pepper

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
We may have discussed this before but what are your favorite alternative NYC bands? I think they're the most influential alternative bands ever. I like:

Talking Heads - Perhaps the best rhythmic rock band ever.

Patti Smith - "Jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine".

My band just played with Richard Lloyd from Television (and with the Dead Boys, or really Cheetah Chrome and friends) 2 Sundays ago. He's still got it.
I'm old so I saw most of these bands back in their heyday in small spots like CBGB. David Jo still lives on Staten Island. I run into him at Key Food from time to time. Hahaha. he's a good dude.

• Love
Reactions: Elvis P

Elvis P

London Calling
Dec 10, 2007
Goddamn Wrecks fan
distrokid.com
My band just played with Richard Lloyd from Television (and with the Dead Boys, or really Cheetah Chrome and friends) 2 Sundays ago. He's still got it. I'm old so I saw most of these bands back in their heyday in small spots like CBGB. David Jo still lives on Staten Island. I run into him at Key Food from time to time. Hahaha. he's a good dude.
I played in bar bands for 37 years and pretend I'm cool, but you are cool! :cool:

Reactions: bhamill

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I played in bar bands for 37 years and pretend I'm cool, but you are cool! :cool:
Hahaha. We are DEFINITELY a bar band as well bud, don't know about the cool part but we've been lucky to play with some bands I really love. And we have a great time. Playing with Murphy's Law on Sunday.
This is the band I'm in if you are interested: Goddamn Wrecks. Its punk rock'n'roll with a little country. We will probably record again this year.

Elvis P

London Calling
Dec 10, 2007
Goddamn Wrecks fan
distrokid.com
Hahaha. We are DEFINITELY a bar band as well bud, don't know about the cool part but we've been lucky to play with some bands I really love. And we have a great time. Playing with Murphy's Law on Sunday. This is the band I'm in if you are interested: Goddamn Wrecks. Its punk rock'n'roll with a little country. We will probably record again this year.

1716921657825.png

Thx! I'm following you on Spotify. You guys are good.

Last edited:

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
My musical tastes are all over the map to say the least lol.

I'm not one for concerts for the most part, I like smaller venue stuff if I do actually go to a show. I recently got to see Zakk Sabbath with a buddy when they rolled through Calgary. Great show.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012

Thx! I'm following you on Spotify. You guys are good.
Thanks buddy!

My musical tastes are all over the map to say the least lol.

I'm not one for concerts for the most part, I like smaller venue stuff if I do actually go to a show. I recently got to see Zakk Sabbath with a buddy when they rolled through Calgary. Great show.
I only go to arenas or stadiums like once every five years. Hahah. Smaller venues like Stone Pony, Bowery Ballroom or clubs like Wonder Bar or Gold Sounds are where I usually go to see bands.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Thanks buddy!

I only go to arenas or stadiums like once every five years. Hahah. Smaller venues like Stone Pony, Bowery Ballroom or clubs like Wonder Bar or Gold Sounds are where I usually go to see bands.

Yeah this spot was an old theater in downtown CGY, it was great.

Now, I did see Ozzy in Edmonton back when he was only 60 lol (actually I can't remember his age but Zakk was playing for him at that point) and it was the early 2000s - that was the Oilers stadium at the time. I want to say Jason Newsted's band and Finger 11 opened for him but...my memory could be off there.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Me too. If you've heard it, what do you think of Nirvana's "With the lights out" box set?
I don’t have that set. I’ve always heard good things though. It has a heat sensitive package right?
I actually have the original Love Buzz 7”. I used to be belong to the Sub Pop Singles Club where they would send out a single a month for like 3 bucks. I’d never heard of them because it was the first thing they released. It goes for insane amounts of money these days. Saw it on eBay for 10K recently. Crazy.

• Love

Elvis P

London Calling
Dec 10, 2007
Goddamn Wrecks fan
distrokid.com
I don’t have that set. I’ve always heard good things though. It has a heat sensitive package, right? ...

1716945668732.png

@bhamill Yes. Cool. Some of my favorite less famous and non-NYC bands are:

1. The Cramps - I have no idea why they weren't big. They played voodoo punkabilly. Goo Goo Muck and Some New Kind of Kick are two examples of the great fun horror tinged, raunchy songs they played, and they were great live with Poison Ivy playing a solid lead guitar. They formed in 1976 and were the first horror punk band. The Misfits ripped off their act.

2. XTC - I have no idea why they weren't big. They may be too pop or cheesy for you, but Andy Partridge was a very talented songwriter. Their early stuff was edgy and great. Later, they couldn't tour/long story, but otherwise I think they would have been big before the single Dear God off the Skylarking album came out.

3. The Meat Puppets - Although they played slow on their albums, they were a great speed band live. I could barely stop myself from being the only person dancing. We had no cash, but let a stranger sit at our table, smoked him up, and he bought the beer.

4. Husker Du and The Replacements - I started listening to Prince in 1981 and after him I consider them the pride of the Twin Cities. The Reps' Let it be is a great album.

5. Captain Beefheart - He's so eclectic I can't really describe him. He makes Tom Waits seem mainstream.

6. MC5 - I consider the Detroit band one of the godfathers of punk.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012

@bhamill Yes. Cool. Some of my favorite less famous and non-NYC bands are:

1. The Cramps - I have no idea why they weren't big. They played voodoo punkabilly. Goo Goo Muck and Some New Kind of Kick are two examples of the great fun horror tinged, raunchy songs they played, and they were great live with Poison Ivy playing a solid lead guitar. They formed in 1976 and were the first horror punk band. The Misfits ripped off their act.

2. XTC - I have no idea why they weren't big. They may be too pop or cheesy for you, but Andy Partridge was a very talented songwriter. Their early stuff was edgy and great. Later, they couldn't tour/long story, but otherwise I think they would have been big before the single Dear God off the Skylarking album came out.

3. The Meat Puppets - Although they played slow on their albums, they were a great speed band live. I could barely stop myself from being the only person dancing. We had no cash, but let a stranger sit at our table, smoked him up, and he bought the beer.

4. Husker Du and The Replacements - I started listening to Prince in 1981 and after him I consider them the pride of the Twin Cities. The Reps' Let it be is a great album.

5. Captain Beefheart - He's so eclectic I can't really describe him. He makes Tom Waits seem mainstream.

6. MC5 - I consider the Detroit band one of the godfathers of punk.

Saw some of these early on. Never saw Beefheart or XTC. But saw the others. Saw Replacements at Folk City their very first show in NY. There were like 25 of us. Hahaha. I went to NYU from 80-84 so I was at shows from Union Sq to the LES pretty much every night. I practically grew up in CBGB. I was also in record stores every day, so I have a lot of rare old punk records.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad