OT: ♫ The Music Thread ♫

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
the bruce version of blinded by the light is better than the cover

@ me

I cannot stand the Manfred Mann version. It’s a prime example of what makes ‘classic rock’ radio so awful. It strips any of humor of the original version and pumps it full of overwrought pomposity. I wouldn’t even rate the original as one of my favorite songs off the debut. The cover is a travesty, mich like all of Linda Rondstadt’s covers in the 70’s.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Say Hey Kid

War, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I cannot stand the Manfred Mann version. It’s a prime example of what makes ‘classic rock’ radio so awful. It strips any of humor of the original version and pumps it full of overwrought pomposity. ...
Well written. This is also how I would describe Queen.

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
That's more interesting to me. The Pogues--early Elvis Costello. Mostly (not the Pogues or Damned so much) it's that English pub rock scene that pre-dated the emergence of British punk rock. But I'm dated but then again I don't care.
Well written. This describes me also. The last album I can't live without is Nevermind.

Reactions: eco's bones

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
High key f***ing stoked to bump this in every bar I visit over the rest of the year

I CAME. I SAW. I CAME. I SAW. I PRAISE THE LORD, AND BREAK THE LAW

Reactions: Ori

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Well written. This describes me also. The last album I can't live without is Nevermind.

Rock music was boring for me in the mid 70's. I graduated from High School and then a couple years later---there was the Sex Pistols and they were pretty much my age and there was all this noise about how horrible it was and being the waster I was if something was perceived as bad I was all for it. Typical of at least a decent % of young people (never the majority mind you) at any given point in time. But mostly the first bands that caught my attention were from Britain and then later on from the United States. But partly the point I was making was that British punk tended to be a lot more melodic and a lot of the reason for that is that not all of them were DIY startups--Costello, bands like the Ruts, Stranglers, Stiff Little Fingers for example and a bunch of others actually had been playing the pub circuit for years and those musicians were actually pretty damned good. The Clash are kind of interesting in the respect that Joe Strummer came from a pub rock band--the 101'ers but Paul Simonon OTOH was starting from absolute scratch--picking up an instrument for the first time.

There's a bit of that in North America--just not as much.

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Rock music was boring for me in the mid 70's. I graduated from High School and then a couple years later---there was the Sex Pistols and they were pretty much my age and there was all this noise about how horrible it was and being the waster I was if something was perceived as bad I was all for it. Typical of at least a decent % of young people (never the majority mind you) at any given point in time. But mostly the first bands that caught my attention were from Britain and then later on from the United States. But partly the point I was making was that British punk tended to be a lot more melodic and a lot of the reason for that is that not all of them were DIY startups--Costello, bands like the Ruts, Stranglers, Stiff Little Fingers for example and a bunch of others actually had been playing the pub circuit for years and those musicians were actually pretty damned good. The Clash are kind of interesting in the respect that Joe Strummer came from a pub rock band--the 101'ers but Paul Simonon OTOH was starting from absolute scratch--picking up an instrument for the first time.

There's a bit of that in North America--just not as much.
Agreed with all that.

Changing topics and not referring to you. I don't like genre labels, but not because I think I'm cool or a rebel. I know I'm neither.

I just hear and label bands differently. I hear The Clash as a ska band. My 2 favorite "punk" bands not already mentioned I don't hear as punk. I consider The Cramps rockabilly and I consider XTC pop.

I may take a break. Have a good one.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I get that---basically it was new and different stuff back in the late 70's that turned everything on its head. The people that were into that kind of music at least in the United States often stood out like sore thumbs and weren't always treated very nicely. Sometime later came this kind of sound that wasn't supposed to stray from certain parameters and with that came a lot of the violence that's been associated with the music. To me of those band that ones that did ska/reggae kind of music (some of the time) the best were the Ruts, D.O.A. and the Bad Brains--though I always liked White man in Hammersmith Palais and Police and thieves a lot. Also really liked the Specials. The Clash also put out an E.P. that was very dub based that was really good as well.

The Cramps were good too. I was watching this clip of them live today playing at some kind of mental patient facility in California way back when---it might have been 1982.

Thinking of some epiphanic moments---the day my Coast Guard roommate Bruce Chidlaw (R.I.P.) handed me the first Bad Brains album which came out on an ROIR cassette--at the same time ROIR put out another cassette which included the Stimulators and the (pre-rap) Beastie Boys.

Another time going into Bleecker Bob's on West 3rd St. in the Village they were playing the Angry Samoans 'Back from Samoa' and I never heard them before but I couldn't stop laughing because the lyrics were so funny. A lot of the more obscure bands were some of the best--I was thinking of Savage Republic's 'Tragic Figures'. I really loved the Fall (R.I.P. Mark E. Smith who died a few months back) and I had a thing for Crass too.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad