OT: ♫ The Music Thread ♫

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

Sandy Denny was one of the all-time great vocalists that no one really knows about. She's the female voice singing with Robert Plant on Battle of Evermore. Her work with Fairport Convention is stunning.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Without even listening to that particular song, my main criticism of almost all hard rock/metal is how overly and forcibly loud the music has been produced the past twenty years. There's almost an artificial fake hard/heavy sound. The production sounds cluttered.
Yeah many bands are definitely guilty of this. We made it too loud and now we can't go any louder without scarificing quality. We need to step back and realize that louder isn't better.

I remember being disappointed with early Lamb of God and Trivium shows because it just sounded like shit. It wasw loud static. Honestly thought they just weren't good live.

But I saw both bands more recently playing at a more human volume (which is a nice evolution to see) and both shows blew me away. I hope that trend continues.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Yeah many bands are definitely guilty of this. We made it too loud and now we can't go any louder without scarificing quality. We need to step back and realize that louder isn't better.

I remember being disappointed with early Lamb of God and Trivium shows because it just sounded like ****. It wasw loud static. Honestly thought they just weren't good live.

But I saw both bands more recently playing at a more human volume (which is a nice evolution to see) and both shows blew me away. I hope that trend continues.

I know music from even the 80's sounds like it's primitive by today's standards, but I'd rather it be the performance that determines how hard/heavy a band sounds, as opposed to the (over)production.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
BTW @jas, I'm with you on the Beatles. They were my first band. Parents were born in the 50's, grew up in the 60's, and that was my first music. First album I "owned" was mom's copy of Abbey Road.

I branched out into metal as I got older, because it just takes my soul to that place. I think we can all agree - whatever you're into- that that's what music should do. But to this day, the Beatles are still on my MP3 right in between Avenged Sevenfold and The Black Dahlia Murder :laugh: And they still take me to that same place.

Some people say they're overrated, but those are probably the same people who think Wayne Gretzky is overrated. To me, they're untouchable.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
BTW @jas, I'm with you on the Beatles. They were my first band. Parents were born in the 50's, grew up in the 60's, and that was my first music. First album I "owned" was mom's copy of Abbey Road.

I branched out into metal as I got older, because it just takes my soul to that place. I think we can all agree - whatever you're into- that that's what music should do. But to this day, the Beatles are still on my MP3 right in between Avenged Sevenfold and The Black Dahlia Murder :laugh: And they still take me to that same place.

Some people say they're overrated, but those are probably the same people who think Wayne Gretzky is overrated. To me, they're untouchable.
I think the Beatles are overrated but don't think Wayne is.

:dunno:

Reactions: Rongomania

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

I was about five years old when I got into my uncle's Beatles collection. They have rarely left me since then. I think it's almost unfathomable for people to understand what the Beatles mean to modern music, from the framework they set up to the rules they broke, all within seven years. Love Me Do to Abbey Road in seven years. No one does that.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Also I wanna do this little ranking here for my own posterity;

God-tier:

Paul Simon, Bob Dylan, Alvvays, Pavement, the Beatles, the Smiths, Velvet Underground/Lou Reed, Nickelback, The Brian Jonestown Massacre, Radiohead, The Clash, Pink Floyd, My Bloody Valentine, Kanye West

Elite:

The Replacements, New Order, Joy Division, The Stone Roses, Bruce Springsteen, Vampire Weekend, Guided by Voices, Oasis, Van Morrison, the Modern Lovers, Pixies

Other bands worth mention: the Strokes (I know they basically have one album but it’s an all time great pop record), Arcade Fire, Neutral Milk Hotel, Wilco

Bands/artists I need to listen to/listen to more of: Miles Davis, Tom Waits, The Cure, the Kinks, The Jam, Elvis Costello,

Reactions: Rongomania

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

God-tier:

Paul Simon, Bob Dylan, Alvvays, Pavement, the Beatles, the Smiths, Velvet Underground/Lou Reed, Nickelback, The Brian Jonestown Massacre, Radiohead, The Clash, Pink Floyd, My Bloody Valentine, Kanye West

Elite:

The Replacements, New Order, Joy Division, The Stone Roses, Bruce Springsteen, Vampire Weekend, Guided by Voices, Oasis, Van Morrison, the Modern Lovers, Pixies

Other bands worth mention: the Strokes (I know they basically have one album but it’s an all time great pop record), Arcade Fire, Neutral Milk Hotel, Wilco

Bands/artists I need to listen to/listen to more of: Miles Davis, Tom Waits, The Cure, the Kinks, The Jam, Elvis Costello,

Radiohead and Wilco, IMO are probably the best two bands of the past 20 years.

Paul Simon is an actual poet, unlike like the nonsense you hear about Jim Morrison.

You know my feelings on the 'Mats, as you can see in my avatar. I saw them at the Festival Pier in Philly in May of 2015. Made me feel like I was back in college.

Springsteen, aside from Revolver and Lateralus by Tool, there might not be a more perfect album than Born to Run.

Waits is very interesting. His best album is Rain Dogs, but, I'm not sure if that's the place to jump in. Since your adventurous, I'd say go for it.

I'd also put Television in at least the elite category.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Radiohead and Wilco, IMO are probably the best two bands of the past 20 years.

Paul Simon is an actual poet, unless like the nonsense you hear about Jim Morrison.

You know my feelings on the 'Mats, as you can see in my avatar. I saw them at the Festival Pier in Philly in May of 2015. Made me feel like I was back in college.

Springsteen, aside from Revolver and Lateralus by Tool, there might not be a more perfect album than Born to Run.

Waits is very interesting. His best album is Rain Dogs, but, I'm not sure if that's the place to jump in. Since your adventurous, I'd say go for it.

I'd also put Television in at least the elite category.
I’d agree with on wilco and Radiohead, except to say that I prefer Alvvays to both. They’re just a ridiculously good pop band, and also amazing live.

Paul Simon is my favorite singer song writer. I would say that his self titled ‘debut’ is, quite possibly, the best album of all time. It’d be #1 on my own list. Graceland is close.

I’ve listened to Television, and although it’s been awhile, Marquee Moon is indeed excellent. I just haven’t listened to them enough to really rank them, although I’d assume they’d end up in elite.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I did not state otherwise ;)
:laugh:

Either way, I'm just leg-pulling.

I'm way less combative with music than I am with sports. There's no stats and there's no trophies we're competing for.

The music in my life saved me, and whatever you have that's that special to you, go for it.

Reactions: Bozle

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
:laugh:

Either way, I'm just leg-pulling.

I'm way less combative with music than I am with sports. There's no stats and there's no trophies we're competing for.

The music in my life saved me, and whatever you have that's that special to you, go for it.
MY BAND HAS MORE PLATINUM RECORDS/60 THAN YOURS. SUCK IT.

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

God-tier:

Elite:

Is it the one with Reptilia on it? :laugh:

I FC'ed that song in Rock Band after weeks of trying and it became such an obsession that I bought the album.

They're a pretty cool band.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Is it the one with Reptilia on it? :laugh:

I FC'ed that song in Rock Band after weeks of trying and it became such an obsession that I bought the album.

They're a pretty cool band.
Nah, that’s from Room on Fire.

Which is a solid album, it’s just that it’s basically a poor man’s version of their debut.

Although, Reptilian is indeed a tremendous song. The Strokes know how to make pop.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I’d agree with on wilco and Radiohead, except to say that I prefer Alvvays to both. They’re just a ridiculously good pop band, and also amazing live.

Paul Simon is my favorite singer song writer. I would say that his self titled ‘debut’ is, quite possibly, the best album of all time. It’d be #1 on my own list. Graceland is close.

I’ve listened to Television, and although it’s been awhile, Marquee Moon is indeed excellent. I just haven’t listened to them enough to really rank them, although I’d assume they’d end up in elite.

Just an incredible guitar-driven band. They only put out three albums. The interplay between Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd is incredible. Lloyd throws out machine-gun bursts, while Verlaine has long languid lines. And, the rhythm sections kicks ass.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Nah, that’s from Room on Fire.

Which is a solid album, it’s just that it’s basically a poor man’s version of their debut.

Although, Reptilian is indeed a tremendous song. The Strokes know how to make pop.
Good old New York City boys.

Haven't really listened to the debut as much. Room on Fire sort of found me and then I went to First Impressions from there which wasn't as good for me as a whole (although Juicebox is metal af so I enjoyed that one).

I should give the first one a good listen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad