News Article: “Why Did Bruins Fans Dislike Danton Heinen So Much?”

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Nice article. I think Heinen was traded not because management were over him individually but primarily because the Bruins had too many of the same sort of players in their bottom 9 - guys who either had limited goal-scoring ability (Kuhlman, Bjork, all the 4th-liners, even Coyle to a point) or who weren't very physical (Kuhlman, Bjork, DeBrusk, Krejci, Lindholm, even Nordy's a tough guy but not really a scary one). The Bruins needed to improve in both these facets and Heinen didn't offer much in either area, plus he was on a good salary and could command some genuine interest and value on the trade market. To top it off his production and form had stagnated. He was still playing perfectly decently most of the time but rarely more than that.

So he was the guy who it made most sense to move on to address one of those deficiencies - physicality - while hopefully both Ritchie and particularly Kase also help address the other. I actually don't think Ritchie is an overall better player than Heinen, which is a credit of sorts to Danton given their respective draft places, but Ritchie simply offers more of what the Bruins were lacking, so the move at least in theory makes Boston better as a team. Hopefully the trade works out for both parties.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
The answer is easy, Bruins fans typically like passionate hard working players and Heinen didn’t show any sort of passion at all.

I didn’t mind Heinen but this wasn’t the right situation for him, I’m sure he’ll have more success elsewhere.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Still don’t understand why he was given PP time and not PK time. That’ll never make sense to me.

Me either. Penalty-killing is 90% positioning and reading the play. And if there was one facet of the game Heinen excelled at, it was positioning and reading the play. But to see him practically never kill penalties was bizarre.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Me either. Penalty-killing is 90% positioning and reading the play. And if there was one facet of the game Heinen excelled at, it was positioning and reading the play. But to see him practically never kill penalties was bizarre.

Speaks to how different coaches look at things vs. fans. I find it equally as interesting that Bjork very rarely plays PP or in OT.

And although I'm not 100% sure -- I don't think he's had more than 1 or 2 penalty shot chances either. Which baffles me.

Reactions: BruinDust

False Start

May 8, 2018

Speaks to how different coaches look at things vs. fans. I find it equally as interesting that Bjork very rarely plays PP or in OT.

And although I'm not 100% sure -- I don't think he's had more than 1 or 2 penalty shot chances either. Which baffles me.

What does it speak to when the coach put in Bjork over Heinen even on the PK.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The answer is easy, Bruins fans typically like passionate hard working players and Heinen didn’t show any sort of passion at all.

I didn’t mind Heinen but this wasn’t the right situation for him, I’m sure he’ll have more success elsewhere.
Jake shows passion/emotion and he frustrates me as much, if not more than Danton ever did

It`s sometimes like the approach to an argument, the loudest person rarely wins the argument

Reactions: sarge88

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
he will be dealt for Josh Anderson in the summer. Injury risk for injury risk.

Dude, if we turn Bjork and Heinen into Anderson and Ritchie, how will we be able to complain about size?

I guess we could still have Krug and Grzelyck...

Walkenthewalk

Dec 10, 2008
To boil it down to a single reason, B's management team (and fans) had no confidence that Heinen would ever be able elevate his game in April and May.

member 96824

I think there was too much noise about him on both ends of the spectrum. I don’t think he was as good as his supporters believed or lived up to initial expectations, nor did he deserve as much hate as he got. So much discussion for a pretty JAG like player. Kind of bizarre.

You know in brick breaker when the ball gets between two sides and just keeps mashing both of them until it gets out? That’s what these lightning rod players do.

One side likes, one side dislikes. Side 1 comes in and celebrates every good little thing to make their point. Side 2 follows suit when things go south and this goes back and forth forever as both sides dig into to their point more and more with each hit.

Why Heinen became that player? IMO he represented a proxy for a couple of different battles: Fighting vs. non-fighting. Analytics vs. non-analytics. Two way vs. high flying goal scorer. Most of the battles were more about those topics than the actual merits of Danton Heinen as a hockey player from what I saw.

If Danton Heinen retired here, the thread numbers would look like Super Bowls because of the above.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
What does it speak to when the coach put in Bjork over Heinen even on the PK.

I don't know.

I've always suspected that there really is something to the intensity question about Heinen. I know that some posters don't think that it's fair or even possible for fans to judge intensity/passion because we're watching from our couches, but those same people never disagreed when I used specific names and asked who is more intense/passionate --- O'Reilly vs. Janney , Lucic vs. Hodge Jr., etc.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
You know in brick breaker when the ball gets between two sides and just keeps mashing both of them until it gets out? That’s what these lightning rod players do.

One side likes, one side dislikes. Side 1 comes in and celebrates every good little thing to make their point. Side 2 follows suit when things go south and this goes back and forth forever as both sides dig into to their point more and more with each hit.

Why Heinen became that player? IMO he represented a proxy for a couple of different battles: Fighting vs. non-fighting. Analytics vs. non-analytics. Two way vs. high flying goal scorer. Most of the battles were more about those topics than the actual merits of Danton Heinen as a hockey player from what I saw.

If Danton Heinen retired here, the thread numbers would look like Super Bowls because of the above.

Great summary!

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I just didn’t like his contract. A defensive only forward could be had for less cap hit. See Nordstrom, Lindholm. Good kid wish him well. Time for playoff hockey

Reactions: Blowfish

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This place is unfreakingbelievable.

Danton doesn't play for the Bruins anymore but we're 6 pages into a thread about him. Unreal.

I don't know, a board member wrote a solid article regarding a guy traded away a week ago. 6 pages seems par for the course.

Mathew Barzal gets post after post about him the past 4-5 years and he never even skated for the Bruins.

Reactions: BigBear83

shoulders7

Jan 28, 2009
Peabody
I don't know, a board member wrote a solid article regarding a guy traded away a week ago. 6 pages seems par for the course.

Mathew Barzal gets post after post about him the past 4-5 years and he never even skated for the Bruins.
Exactly, and considering how polarizing the guy traded was, I’d even say 6 pages is light. Seemed like no one could find middle ground with Heinen, he was either a 50-60 point player or a 4th liner, depending on whether you liked him or not

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Two gentlemen wearing white short sleeved dress shirts knocked on my door just this past Saturday. After inviting them in and while looking over their handy literature, one of them told me Danton Heinen's two goals last playoff wasn't indicative of the overall excellent play he displayed, and how it was really all Heinen driving that third line if you looked at the advanced stats.

I asked them to leave then set the dogs on them.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I think if Heinen ever hustled to score a goal like JDB did and fought to defend a teammate like Nordstrom did, this thread wouldn’t need to exist.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
frozen-let-it-go-meme.jpg

Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad