GDT: “Us…..and Them” @ 4pm PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
Exactly what I expected - Laviolette over coaching and screwing up a team that went 12-1-2 with the best differential in the NHL.

Keep the lines as they were and put Wilson and Backstrom on lower lines. It's not how we drew it up but it is what it is. You don't mess with what's worked insanely well over a large sample size.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Exactly what I expected - Laviolette over coaching and screwing up a team that went 12-1-2 with the best differential in the NHL.

Keep the lines as they were and put Wilson and Backstrom on lower lines. It's not how we drew it up but it is what it is. You don't mess with what's worked insanely well over a large sample size.
Same thing happened last year when the team started off hot with the young guys and then he broke all of that up

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Problem is that each of Ovie, Kuzy, Nicky, and Oshie require 2 lineys that can retrieve pucks, win board battles, create turnovers and play responsible and effective D. But none of them are appropriate for the 4th line, Lavi is reluctant to play any of them on the 3rd, so there are only 2 lines where they can play.

So there’s really only 1 guy for each of the top 2 lines to do all the things that 8, 19, 77, and 92 can’t do because the first 3 guys are too old, compromised and slow, and 92 is too inconsistent and unreliable. 1 guy can’t do that. But playing 2 or 3 of 19, 8, 77, and 92 together is extremely risky. Ovie with Strome and Sheary worked, because they covered up his D-zone flaws, and enabled him to do his thing. Neither 19 or 92 can do that for him,and 92 needs his own cover uppers.

This is nota nice problem for Lavi to have. It’s just a problem.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I have a bad feeling Sonny Milano is going to be eating some chicken tenders in the press box on Saturday.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Eller has to come out of the lineup. Or Johansson. Or heck even Oshie. He’s been kind of bad. Kind of really bad. I don’t know who. Flip a coin. They need Mantha back. He’s the glue of the middle six.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Problem is that each of Ovie, Kuzy, Nicky, and Oshie require 2 lineys that can retrieve pucks, win board battles, create turnovers and play responsible and effective D. But none of them are appropriate for the 4th line, Lavi is reluctant to play any of them on the 3rd, so there are only 2 lines where they can play.

So there’s really only 1 guy for each of the top 2 lines to do all the things that 8, 19, 77, and 92 can’t do because the first 3 guys are too old, compromised and slow, and 92 is too inconsistent and unreliable. 1 guy can’t do that. But playing 2 or 3 of 19, 8, 77, and 92 together is extremely risky. Ovie with Strome and Sheary worked, because they covered up his D-zone flaws, and enabled him to do his thing. Neither 19 or 92 can do that for him,and 92 needs his own cover uppers.

This is nota nice problem for Lavi to have. It’s just a problem.
It’s a problem Lavy has chosen to have.

He had Ovie playing incredible hockey before changing the lines.

Reactions: Fred22406Capsfan

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
This is an inexcusable loss

Its impossible to play great every game, and I can excuse the loss to Nashville - Lankinen played well

But now these two losses compound and set us back quite a way.
With games in hand, we are barely clinging to the 2nd wildcard spot.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Really not impressed with Alexeyev so far. At best he’s unnoticeable - fairly average skater, doesn’t throw the body, not much offensive skill on show etc. At worst he’s been pretty useless. He’s not on the NHL roster through choice, but because they don’t want to lose him to waivers. But he feels like he needs more seasoning - if he’s ever going to be cooked, of course - and this doesn’t feel like the place for it.

He hasn’t been good statistically, either. Bringing in a capable veteran #6 at the TDL, even if they sit as a #7 when healthy, looks necessary if this team wants to go anywhere. Alexeyev just shouldn’t be seeing the ice under any circumstances during the playoffs.

As for the forward lineups…

Ovi-Strome-Sheary
Milano-Backstrom-Wilson
Mantha-Kuzy-Oshie
Johansson-Dowd-Hathaway

These first and fourth lines have proven to work as they are, Milano and Backstrom could work well together, and Mantha, Kuzy and Oshie as a third line could be elite depth if it works. It does seem to me they need to keep Backstrom away from Oshie and Ovi though - all three are better with players who play with speed around them.

Oh, and give Lindgren more starts. He was amazing in December, and deserves to play more.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Yeah definitely go back to am improved version of the lines we had during the win streak.

Ovi-Strome-Sheary (Ovi score!)
Milano-Kuzy-Wilson (speed!)
Mojo-Bäckström-Oshie (veteran savvy/puck possesion)
Eller/Protas-Dowd-Hathaway (best 4th line in the league?)

SoulDale

Jan 4, 2021
I think it was the worst match for Ovechkin this season. Apparently, old age does not spare even him.

HorvatDream

Jan 7, 2023
It would be better if he did not go out on the playground... today was clearly not the day of Sars. I hope that he will be able to show the hockey that we expect from him.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Going to game w my kid tonight. Got gifted good low level seats.

Anyone know if we are allowed to watch pre skate if we got rich people seats?

What time do they start and stop pre skate?

I probably ask in tonight’s thread when it’s created

Thanks and cheers

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Going to game w my kid tonight. Got gifted good low level seats.

Anyone know if we are allowed to watch pre skate if we got rich people seats?

What time do they start and stop pre skate?

I probably ask in tonight’s thread when it’s created

Thanks and cheers
Has nothing to do with your seats. If you have a CapitalOne credit card you can get in a bit earlier. But doors open at like 5:30pm. Pregame skate is usually like 6:15pm. Then they go back into the room and Zam again. I am season ticket holder so I usually am a “just in time” guy so dont quote me exactly on those times. But it’s pretty close for sure. Have fun at the game with your kid. That is good stuff. I’m not going tonight because i want to watch football and hockey. Haha.

Reactions: Neil Racki and Jags
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad