“They’ll blow it in the playoffs. “ Edmonton Oilers 2 vs LA Kings 3. Part Twa!!!!

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
the Oilers PP is too good and this team takes way too many stupid penalties. special teams will be the difference

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
It is what it is. Out of all the teams they could face, I think the Oilers are the Kings' best chance to win in the first round, though obviously, they aren't the favorites and the odds are stacked against them. If you asked anyone in the locker who they'd rather face they would probably say Edmonton.

It is all going to boil down to if the offense shows up and they are able to exploit Edmonton's obvious weaknesses on defense and goaltending, and if they can stay out of the box, protect Talbot as best as possible, and make the Oilers earn every goal which they are almost guaranteed to put up quite a few I'm sure.

The Kings do have some positives in that they are finally entering a series completely healthy for the most part which wasn't the case in both previous matchups, and their crazy topsy turvy season and team this year, while comes with many cons, could also perform unpredictably well against the Oilers this time around. Edmonton appears stronger and the Kings appear weaker this year than the previous two, but that is, as always, precisely what the hockey gods want you to think :P

The good news is there is a silver lining either way this time for Kings fans. If they Kings lose, they get rid of Blake & Co. and finally see some change, but if they win it will be an extra sweet victory taking down the Oilers and putting Edmonton on the brink next year as they will have their own decisions to make after McDrai fail yet again and start to contemplate jumping ship.

Telos

Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I’m already mad at Kev. He’s going to cost us and then probably try to make up for it.
lol, I am sure he will, but at the same time, he likely is one of our best hopes of escaping the first round :P He is completely healthy and firing on all cylinders, if he gets hot and the Oilers face an opponent that can score on them in kind things could change rapidly. He also has been really good at staying out of the box and minimizing his stupid penalties. The turnovers are another story though... :P But he has been at least a touch better defensively.

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The Oilers and Kings have played 25 games in the last 3 seasons.

Oilers have won 16. Kings have won 9.

That sums it up pretty well: Kings give them some problems, but Edmonton is the better team.

I'm not gonna say LA has no chance, but it's very small. Maybe 20 percent or so. They need a lot to go their way.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Best case:
The Kings gets swept. Blake , Robitaille, Bergeron, and the player development guys who "develop" forwards (minus Stoll) are all shit canned. PLD is bought out. Dean Lombardi comes back with full autonomy and builds around Byfield.

Worst Case:
Talbot does peyote before game 1 and hyper focuses on every Edmonton shooter and channels 2012 Jonathan Quick. McDavid eats some bad poutine, binges the entire Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon series and proceeds to injure most of the Oilers starters thinking that each is somehow Shredder.
The Kings eek out a win and then get swept in round 2. The front office is "redeemed" and doubles down on their shenanigans.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
It is what it is. Out of all the teams they could face, I think the Oilers are the Kings' best chance to win in the first round, though obviously, they aren't the favorites and the odds are stacked against them. If you asked anyone in the locker who they'd rather face they would probably say Edmonton.

It is all going to boil down to if the offense shows up and they are able to exploit Edmonton's obvious weaknesses on defense and goaltending, and if they can stay out of the box, protect Talbot as best as possible, and make the Oilers earn every goal which they are almost guaranteed to put up quite a few I'm sure.

The Kings do have some positives in that they are finally entering a series completely healthy for the most part which wasn't the case in both previous matchups, and their crazy topsy turvy season and team this year, while comes with many cons, could also perform unpredictably well against the Oilers this time around. Edmonton appears stronger and the Kings appear weaker this year than the previous two, but that is, as always, precisely what the hockey gods want you to think :P

The good news is there is a silver lining either way this time for Kings fans. If they Kings lose, they get rid of Blake & Co. and finally see some change, but if they win it will be an extra sweet victory taking down the Oilers and putting Edmonton on the brink next year as they will have their own decisions to make after McDrai fail yet again and start to contemplate jumping ship.
The Oilers are not weak on defense. I don't why people continually say that. It's one of those reputational things that never goes away I guess.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I could see this team eeking out a win in Edmonton possibly, but there isn’t much hope beyond that.
If the Kings were to upset the Oilers, they'd be playing either Vancouver or Nashville in round 2. That'd be a pretty nice setup.

Telos

Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
The Oilers are not weak on defense. I don't why people continually say that. It's one of those reputational things that never goes away I guess.
I mean, I agree in that they are a lot better and it is not an issue like it was in the past for them, but as an evaluation of the team overall their goaltending and defense is not on par with their offense. If it was they would be an unbeatable dynasty team. That is where the corners were cut. Everything was put into offense and hoping they and make due and shore up other deficiencies as-is.

LA's chance to win isn't going to boil down to praying they can shutout the Oilers or stop McDavid, though obviously they have to limit their offense as best they can. It is ultimately going to fall to if the team can punch them back in the nose with similar offense because their defense certainly isn't unbeatable and Skinner absolutely isn't a brick wall. LA's powerplay and 5 on 5 offense needs to show up more than the defense and goaltending does to be honest.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
There's no way Hiller goes with 11-7 right? Cuz Moverare has no business being in the lineup consistently (yet), he's more of a reserve player at this point. The fact that I'm even wondering this says it all.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I mean, I agree in that they are a lot better and it is not an issue like it was in the past for them, but as an evaluation of the team overall their goaltending and defense is not on par with their offense. If it was they would be an unbeatable dynasty team. That is where the corners were cut. Everything was put into offense and hoping they and make due and shore up other deficiencies as-is.

LA's chance to win isn't going to boil down to praying they can shutout the Oilers or stop McDavid, though obviously they have to limit their offense as best they can. It is ultimately going to fall to if the team can punch them back in the nose with similar offense because their defense certainly isn't unbeatable and Skinner absolutely isn't a brick wall. LA's powerplay and 5 on 5 offense needs to show up more than the defense and goaltending does to be honest.
Goaltending is a question mark, yes. Skinner has had a couple decent regular seasons, but failed them in the playoffs last year. They probably win the cup last year if they got good goaltending.

But their defense is objectively solid.

For all the complaining about LA's 1-3-1, the Oilers will clog up the neutral themselves plenty of the time.

Reactions: Telos

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Meeting a team in three consecutive playoff series should create a rivalry, but the Kings are so soft and passive that I'd be impressed if we saw them push back and would be shocked to see them play the Oilers physically throughout the series.

We saw small glimpses when the Kings won, they pounded on the Oilers, hence their whiny fans painting Mikey Anderson as a dirty player. Unfortunately, that type of play from the Kings is very seldom and inconsistent.

I also haven't forgotten how they curled up into a ball after they had a three-goal lead in Game 4 last year, which would have given the Kings a 3-1 series lead had they won the game. They went on to lose three straight games and looked like a bunch of p***yes in the process.

The year prior, they failed to close out the series after having a 3-2 series lead.

Much like the Rob Blake led Kings of the past, this isn't a team that is built for a playoff hockey. They've proven that in the previous two years, and it's very likely that this will hold true yet again in this year's playoffs.

Another quick playoff exit should lead to the dismissal of Rob Blake (and his entire staff), so there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Hey Kings fans. Just wanted to say good luck before we're at each other's throats in a few days. I hope we can agree on one thing. Whoever wins, just humble those Canucks, if Nashville doesn'tget to it first, ha ha.

Cheers!

Sincerely,

An Oilers fan.
Nah I'd much rather see Vancouver, as unbearable as their fans are, lift it before your roster of douchebags gets a sniff. But thanks for coming by.

PS, I hope none of you do this on the Edmonton board lol

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Hey Kings fans. Just wanted to say good luck before we're at each other's throats in a few days. I hope we can agree on one thing. Whoever wins, just humble those Canucks, if Nashville doesn'tget to it first, ha ha.

Cheers!

Sincerely,

An Oilers fan.
Just you you can read the room properly, the majority of the fanbase is expecting an early exit and our playoff hope are that the front office is all fired and then deported to Moldova and forced to herd goats with pool noodles.

There may be an "OiLeRs SuCk" outlier, but we are gonna deport them too

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I root for my team’s success. This success, of course, is measured in home playoff revenue and the career stability of our corporate leadership.

If we can just hang on to Game 6 for that sweet sweet take-home at the gate, then we have a chance!

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
ah shit here we go again

Not going to lie, my confidence is very low. Of course I want them to win and I want to beat these bastards, but I just don't think this team has it this year.

I think the best news is that everyone that matters is fully healthy. I think Hiller's willingness to change things up is a good trait to have compared to McLellan's stubbornness. I'm not really a fan of the 11/7 setup, but again its nice to know that we have that in our back pocket.

Other than, not really optimistic

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
I'm pretty confident the Kings Stars show up this time around and produce! Having said that the Oilers have some scorers of their own that have to be contained to some degree for the Kings to have a chance. If one looks at the Offense I like ours better,Defense and Goaltending are iffy on the Kings side but can rise to the occasion if its in them! With age possibly creeping up this could be Kopi's and Doughty last kick at the can before some serious changes come down the pike in LA! Regardless I'll be around watching the Kings and cheering them on as hard as an vet like myself can and nothing would as sweet as beating the living hell out of those Edmon-chukers from Northern Alberta! All hail to the Kingsmen in this renewed battle royale

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I'm not really a fan of the 11/7 setup, but again its nice to know that we have that in our back pocket.
Having the 11/7 in my back pocket is about as useful as the banana in my front pocket.
Im sure McDavid will be glad to take the puck to Moverares side for the 4 minutes of ice time he will see.
And Edmonton will be happy to watch Fiala get double shifted and turn the puck over in the middle of the ice for an odd man rush double the amount of times.

Reactions: ru4reals

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad