“There wasn’t much but I wanted a penalty against Nashville” UPD Tim Peel early retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
I don't think there is. Game management is just fixing by another name. The difference - to the extent there is one - is you're not necessarily care *who* wins, but you do care that the game is close. So you're influencing the outcome - but just doing so in a way that's agnostic to the ultimate victor.

This is why anyone who gets on spreads in hockey are just throwing money away.
I don’t disagree that both are wrong- but my understanding is that fixing is intentionally trying to influence the outcome of the game. Goal of game management is to “even the playing field” which ultimately leads to influencing the outcome of the game, but not intentionally.

Reactions: dukeofjive

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I honestly almost feel bad for Peel here. He wasn't trying to hide what he was doing - shit I think he was telling the Nashville bench.

Definitely the sacrificial lamb. The problem is literally every ref does this.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
What's great about this is that it will put fear in other refs that don't want to tarnish their reputation. We might actually see better reffing moving forward now that cancel culture is in full swing for the NHL

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Didn't know that. Twitter had a headline that he was, so thats my mistake for believing anything coming from them.

Media often gets the nuance wrong and the definitions aren’t 100% clear. Tim Peel wasn’t “fired” in that his employment contract was terminated. He was “relieved of his duties” which means he’s not working any more games but is still under contract. There’s a subtle difference, but in quoting you to point this out, I’m preaching to the choir.

Reactions: Armourboy

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I don’t disagree that both are wrong- but my understanding is that fixing is intentionally trying to influence the outcome of the game. Goal of game management is to “even the playing field” which ultimately leads to influencing the outcome of the game, but not intentionally.
That's why point shaving may be a better analogy. But ultimately I think it's a distinction without a difference.

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
What's great about this is that it will put fear in other refs that don't want to tarnish their reputation. We might actually see better reffing moving forward now that cancel culture is in full swing for the NHL
Unless the NHL and Campbell act like Peel was the only issue and actually want these guys to manage the games the way Peel stated. Which is the case, based off of what we haven’t seen historically.

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
That's why point shaving may be a better analogy. But ultimately I think it's a distinction without a difference.
Agreed it is nuanced, but it may be an important distinction to make. I think shouting out “fixed” is a bit extreme and loses credibility. And ultimately distracts from more productive conversation.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
I would say that going into a game with a predetermined idea of changing the outcome is fixing the game. If they're following orders from a 3rd party to do so then yes, they're fixing the game.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Game management is exactly what it sounds, managing the game, one game. So two teams out there, game management isn't calling every single slash, but if one team slashes and you call it, that's the standard for that game, supposedly, so when you see the other team do it, that's the standard, you call it, but if it's a tap....not up to the standard, you don't call it. It is still penalty by the book, but it didn't reach the standard you had previously set.

That's what this comment was....I didn't see the game, so I don't know if it was getting chippy, or what the feel was etc, but it was a penalty, just not up to the standard, thats what he meant by, not much there, ie, its a penalty, that maybe gets let go a lot, but for some reason he was looking for a NSH call..... on the face of it, it's stupid, and just looking at the box score, there's no "management" to be had, but if he felt that in the 1st, NSH was getting more and more emboldened by non-calls, he could have been looking for the next one, to settle them down...that's the management.

Reactions: PenguinSuitedUp

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Firing him is simply sweeping the problem under the rug. NHL deserves zero credit for doing the bare minimum.
I'm not saying they deserve any credit nor am I disagreeing with it being a systematic issue; it most clearly is. I am just laughing at the ultra switch in the tone of the fan responses here. They're doubling down instead of acknowledging that the NHL just fired probably the worst ref in the league.

Mar 26, 2010
This kinda thing happens in every NHL game. Officials on the ice may be calling a game with their favorite team playing, and guess what.... BS penalties against the opposing team.

This is nothing new.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Enforce the rules as they are.

This. I wish they would call EVERY SINGLE PENALTY no matter how trivial for a whole month. The games would turn into endless 3-on-3's and would be boring as hell. Everybody would whine of course, there would be repercussions. Then I hope the refs call nothing for a month. Everybody will whine again. Teams will cry foul. Players will get hurt. The league will "investigate". Then.... call everything all over again. Rinse and repeat. Over and over...

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
This kinda thing happens in every NHL game. Officials on the ice may be calling a game with their favorite team playing, and guess what.... BS penalties against the opposing team.

This is nothing new.
The issue is nothing new, but the opportunity for a call to action with hard evidence is. Hopefully those with more of a spotlight can push this more, because the league should not get out of this by simply retiring Peel a month early.

Fire Campbell.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
If you actually believe this will make the other refs "better" at their job, you must be naive. They will continue to do what the league tells them to do and also to keep their mouth shut in front of the mic/cameras. NHL refs aren't there to officiate games if you hadn't notice from this entire thread. It's always been game management from the league. And if you spill the beans like Tim Peel here cause he didn't keep his mouth shut. You're out of a job.

This isn't about a particular ref or some refs doing a bad job. Its systemic from the NHL.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
The fact that he was caught is the reason he was fired. To think the NHL doesn't know this is going on is hilarious.

Yup it's all a bunch of bullshit. Look at this absurd statement from the NHL:

"Nothing is more important than ensuring the integrity of our game," NHL Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Campbell said in a statement. "Tim Peel's conduct is in direct contradiction to the adherence to that cornerstone principle that we demand of our officials and that our fans, players, coaches and all those associated with our game expect and deserve.
"There is no justification for his comments, no matter the context or his intention, and the National Hockey League will take any and all steps necessary to protect the integrity of our game."

Yeah this is bullshit all day long. The NHL wants to squeeze money out of the game and have a product they can manipulate to their whim. This is just what society is like these days. Anyone leading anything that's worth multi billions of dollars is going to do this kind of stuff. Corporations and governments manipulate almost everything these days, including public opinion. I'm glad this came out, but anyone who watched the game closely has known this has been a reality for a long time now. For shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad