Post-Game Talk: “I think I know a little bit about winning.” - Coffey, but unironically

Keggatron

Nov 15, 2008
Had it on in the background while playing board games and drinking last night. We looked good, super pumped that Gagger got a big one. Great game, love having him back.

Anyway I need to complain, so I see we dominated the Hawks as we have basically each team we've played in this 8 game win streak. We've looked really good against basically each of these teams on this win streak, however I as I was watching the extended highlights from the Avs game against the flames Monday night and saw that they had 4 PPs to Flames 2. When looking into things in their last ten games they've had more powerplays than their opponents 6 times. They've never had a single game in which they've had less PPs than their opponent. I f***ing hate this team and the bullshit they get gifted. Anyway I decided to look into our PP for/against record. On the 8 game winning streak in which we've basically controlled play we're 2-5-1 in the PPs for and against department. If we go back ten games we're 2-7-1 and the whole year we've only out PP'd our opponents 7 times in 26 games now.

How is this even a possibility without there being some sort of collusion for it to be so? We don't have an overly heavy team that plays hard and takes penalties. We are a fast as hell team with great possession numbers essentially all season. We have two of the best players on the planet and one of the best defencemen in the league right now? We saw it late in the Vegas game, as well as the what was it? Wild game, where there were blatant as day calls that they just looked off. I'm so f***ing sick of this bullshit from the league and anyone who denies the fact that there's obvious bias against our team (along with other Canadian teams) is a f***ing fool. If I can do a quick search and find these things as a half paying attention fan, so can the f***ing team, media, anyone with a real influence. Why the f*** doesn't anyone speak up about this? We've seen it for like over a f***ing decade now that there's two different games that we have to play essentially every night. One against the opposition and one against the refs. This is supposed to be the best league in the world, but it's a f***ing garage league. I wish I wasn't such a cuck for this team so I could just walk away from this f***ing league for good. They don't deserve our business with the way they treat their customers. It's infuriating. DO NOT SPEND ANY MONEY ON THIS f***ING TEAM OR LEAGUE. WE'RE ALL THE PROBLEM, WE'RE VOTING WITH OUR WALLETS THAT WE ALLOW THIS BULLSHIT TO KEEP CONTINUING!

Sorry for the rant but f*** this.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
How good is the 4th line? Had you told me 5 weeks ago that we were rolling out a 4th of Gagner - Hamblin - Ryan I would have cringed and told you that I hope they don't see any more than about 4 mins of ice.

I still am not completely sure how this combination is so effective, but they just are. Hamblin and Ryan are both effective forecheckers despite their size and Gagner still has the touch to make efficient smart plays with the puck. I keep waiting for the wheels to fall off these guys, but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen.

Also Desharnais is playing very, very good hockey. A lot of the question mark depth have stepped up in a big way over the past few weeks.
Three very smart hockey players who collectively are outperforming their limitations through great anticipation, high work rate, and grit. Not sure this line can sustain itself in heavy, marathon playoff hockey but they have put together a really good run. All have some finishing ability which is delivering solid line 4 production and responsible two-way play along with centre/wing versatility (again smart players).

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Had it on in the background while playing board games and drinking last night. We looked good, super pumped that Gagger got a big one. Great game, love having him back.

Anyway I need to complain, so I see we dominated the Hawks as we have basically each team we've played in this 8 game win streak. We've looked really good against basically each of these teams on this win streak, however I as I was watching the extended highlights from the Avs game against the flames Monday night and saw that they had 4 PPs to Flames 2. When looking into things in their last ten games they've had more powerplays than their opponents 6 times. They've never had a single game in which they've had less PPs than their opponent. I f***ing hate this team and the bullshit they get gifted. Anyway I decided to look into our PP for/against record. On the 8 game winning streak in which we've basically controlled play we're 2-5-1 in the PPs for and against department. If we go back ten games we're 2-7-1 and the whole year we've only out PP'd our opponents 7 times in 26 games now.

How is this even a possibility without there being some sort of collusion for it to be so? We don't have an overly heavy team that plays hard and takes penalties. We are a fast as hell team with great possession numbers essentially all season. We have two of the best players on the planet and one of the best defencemen in the league right now? We saw it late in the Vegas game, as well as the what was it? Wild game, where there were blatant as day calls that they just looked off. I'm so f***ing sick of this bullshit from the league and anyone who denies the fact that there's obvious bias against our team (along with other Canadian teams) is a f***ing fool. If I can do a quick search and find these things as a half paying attention fan, so can the f***ing team, media, anyone with a real influence. Why the f*** doesn't anyone speak up about this? We've seen it for like over a f***ing decade now that there's two different games that we have to play essentially every night. One against the opposition and one against the refs. This is supposed to be the best league in the world, but it's a f***ing garage league. I wish I wasn't such a cuck for this team so I could just walk away from this f***ing league for good. They don't deserve our business with the way they treat their customers. It's infuriating. DO NOT SPEND ANY MONEY ON THIS f***ING TEAM OR LEAGUE. WE'RE ALL THE PROBLEM, WE'RE VOTING WITH OUR WALLETS THAT WE ALLOW THIS BULLSHIT TO KEEP CONTINUING!

Sorry for the rant but f*** this.

That’s one hell of a rant for a guy who played board games last night and the game was just background noise….

Reactions: capazzo

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think there may be some real validity to Manson having a difficult time with the role after the passing of his wife (which is fair).

The D and PK has improved to such a level it's almost unrecognizable. The breakout is so much better it makes my head spin. Coffey and Stuart have made some excellent changes.

We also can't understate the importance of that ricochet puck off Darnell's forehead seemingly turning his brain back on.

It wasn’t great last year though either.

The PK was never great.

The defense wasn’t good last year. It was good by end of regular season. But sucked again in playoffs.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Bedard will likely evolve into a superstar over the next few seasons once his teammates can better support him. We saw how dangerous he can be at the recent WJHC when teams have to focus on defending other good players and he's as physically mature as his peers (even though he was young even by WJHC standards).

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Bedard is only 18, so lots of time to get stronger, faster, etc. But your point about the speed is well taken. When McDavid came into the league, from the very first game, his speed and stickhandling stood out above all else and over everyone else. Not to diss Bedard at this very young point in his career, but I think those qualities will only be reserved for McJesus. I think Bedard will have a career similar to that of Patrick Kane (stole that from someone on last nights telecast), which is very, very good.
Probaby a better goalscorer than Kane. He'll be an elite player, but McDavid if he keeps it up can lay claim to being a top 3 player of all time.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Bedard is awesome. Love him....but he's not Crosby or McDavid level.

A combination of being on Chi and US media trying to make him bigger than he is.

We worry about losing McD but this Beatlemania going on wiith Bedard hopefully opens McDavids eyes as how bad it could be for him. McD is definitely the type that shys away from the hype

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I find this is the problem with the board. People want players punted or fired into the sun loooooong before guys get a chance to play out a season.

The discussion around Brown being a waste or not really comes down to how it all looks at the end of the year, or at least much closer to it, imo.
I think it was magnified by a quiet off-season where Brown was overhyped as a great get and perceived by some as a finishing piece for a status quo window team. Too much talk of Hyman-lite for a guy thirty pounds lighter and lacking the finishing skills. Personally, I thought a 20 G and 20 A season aligning with his career averages would be do-able with his real value being stability to improve a shitty PK. Unfortunately, can't untangle the fact he is a $4 million player when considering bonus.

Conversely, Gagner entered the season after two hip surgeries and no contract working his way into game shape in Bakersfield and then finding ways to contribute across the NHL roster. No or little expectation for a solid value utility guy.

Agree somewhat with your point. There's not much use grumbling about Brown until the final puck drop on this season helps to evaluate the value of this player. Though 1 point at the quarter season mark with top six time and line mates has the clock ticking. Can he flip the switch when the winning season begins will be the most important question.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
So we're 9 points behind LA and 12 points behind Vancouver ( We have 3 games in hand).

Top 3 in the Division is still very much a possibility, we just need to keep rolling or hope that one of those 2 teams self destructs.

Reactions: Puljulainen

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
So we're 9 points behind LA and 12 points behind Vancouver ( We have 3 games in hand).

Top 3 in the Division is still very much a possibility, we just need to keep rolling or hope that one of those 2 teams self destructs.
We were in the same spot point wise last year and we almost won the conference. Anything is possible still for sure.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
All they can do is keep winning. Two tough match ups upcoming in whiny kucherov and the bolts and fla who takes runs at players all the time and goons it up. Which of course the refs never call. should be fun, assuming edm’s goaltending holds up. lol

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
What a great PTO signing Sam Gagner has been. He's such a glue guy too... seems to be in every picture after each game with the group of players and the plunger lol
7 points in 14 games on his salary feels pretty A+ to me! And clearly not just a passenger too.

Was always a fan and I always get warm fuzzies when he returns to the Oilers hahaha

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Bedard will likely evolve into a superstar over the next few seasons once his teammates can better support him. We saw how dangerous he can be at the recent WJHC when teams have to focus on defending other good players and he's as physically mature as his peers (even though he was young even by WJHC standards).
That shot is ridiculous. Very few player could have scored that goal.

That said he has a long way to go to be at McDavid's level. Both have insane IQ but McDavid's speed, and his ability to do special things at full tilt is just unworldly and should continue to provide him with the cheat code for years to come.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I thought Evander Kane was our weakest player tonight. The lines got moved around for good reason

That puck between the eyes was the best thing to ever happen to Nurse
I thought McLeod was the weakest by far. Good thing Knob noticed it as well, as he put Drai in his spot between Janmark and Foegle several times last night.

Reactions: mcdingdong

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I thought McLeod was the weakest by far. Good thing Knob noticed it as well, as he put Drai in his spot between Janmark and Foegle several times last night.
All three of Kane - McLeod - Brown struggled.

Brown had some chances, but he can't get separation whatsoever

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019
Agree 100%. He was a turnover machine in addition to his characteristic perimeter play.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Bedard is awesome. Love him....but he's not Crosby or McDavid level.

A combination of being on Chi and US media trying to make him bigger than he is.

We worry about losing McD but this Beatlemania going on wiith Bedard hopefully opens McDavids eyes as how bad it could be for him. McD is definitely the type that shys away from the hype
I think this covers it. With Bedard its even more because its a huge US market on a franchise that drastically needs some resets and new story lines. Bedard is as much marketing hype as anything. There is no Next McD, just like there was no next Sidney Crosby. Generational players are that, for the reason that they are better than anybody in their generation. Bedard unlikely to come close to what McD has put down.

Lets get real too. On both sides of the border Bedard is getting primo hype because most of the hockey world just hates that Edmonton has McDrai. So that whenever you hear idiot comments that Bedard is better than McD you know exactly what kind of balderdash that is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad