“How’s Your Entertainment Factor?”

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
See, I would have watched every second of that game as would anyone who saw the nastiness/hate developing.

Another factor - NHL boxscores were a respectable indicator in-game as to whether the game was entertaining or not.

Now penalties such as "slashing" and "roughing", "instigator", etc generally means nothing. Hit counts are ridiculously inflated. With these subscriptions it was easy to jump from game to game to find the most entertaining match up/rivalry at the time.

Now I hardly give them a second look and have watched the fewest non-Bruins games in years as well.

My final thought - it is irritating when every camera angle of the bench shows the coaches and players watching replays on a tablet.

Just play the game. Review video after the game. Enough with the overdone analysis. This is not baseball where stats truly are integrated in the sport.

Challenges also have hurt the product significantly and should have been left at the NHL discretion, not a coach tossing a hail mary.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I started watching hockey in 1972, had season tickets for the Bruins from 87-95, P Bruins seasons from 92-96.I have been to all of the original six building except old MSG (saw the current one in 87), have been to a number of NHL away games as well as AHL, FHL, ECHL, LNAH, OHL and QMJHL games. I played from 74 to 98 in high school, mites pee wees and men leagues.

If I was 8 today I do not think I would be a fan of this sport. The passion, intensify, physicality, speed, and finesse that were all part of the game years ago have been replaced by systems, analytics and in many cases turn the other cheek philosophies. Fighting and physical hockey were a by product of the passion and intensity. I'm not talking about Rob Ray and Tie Domi fighting 20 times because that is what they were paid to do, I am talking about standing up for yourself and your teammates, fighting for position in the slot and if you were the D fighting to move that forward out. Caring about winning and doing whatever it took to win and not being a small individual corporations. Teams being owned by corporations and worrying more about the bottom line than the game.

I never missed a Bruins game, now I watch when home and rarely watch other teams games. The sport is boring compared to what it was only 7-8 years ago. There are other factors, Edwards annoys the hell out of me, Sweeney and Cassidy are the antithesis of how I want a team built and managed and a team I really cannot relate to (say what you want about Sinden but if little Jakey went to Harry and said he wanted out he would have been out in 48 hours to the worst team and situation Harry could find).

If I sound like a cranky old bastard it's because I am one but as far as my entertainment value goes it is about a 3 compared to what used to be a 10. Sadly hockey is still my favorite sport and the only one I can really watch consistently.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Interesting to see that I'm not the only one who feels this way about NHL hockey. To me the product is inferior to the game that I grew up watching in the '70s and '80s. The players are stronger and faster, but it does not translate to a better product to watch.

The combination of the NHL over-legislating the game, coaches dominating the proceedings with systems, and the fact that bodychecking appears to be taboo has all turned me off.

I see too many games where play is stagnant for minutes at a time while coaches try to get a line change matchup. Either endless cycling in the offensive zone, or teams trading slapshots from behind their own goal to a forward at the redline who will deflect it into the other team's zone so that everyone can get a line change, to be repeated by the other team. I actually see more of this in the playoffs which is mind-numbing.

I still find several matchups a week that are worth watching. If there is a matchup like Minny-Edmonton or Florida-Carolina, that is still must-watch TV for me. But when I watch the current version of the Bruins I feel like I'm watching a JV game. Not alot of speed or physicality. The perfection line is still a joy to watch, but that's about it.

/rant
well said friend, there will always be a few weekly games that are entertaining but systems have hurt this league, it took all of about a half season for coaches to figure out various systems for 3 v 3

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
I think one’s viewpoint on this topic might vary according to how many years they’ve watched the Bruins. Many have seen the old style AND the new style. Some have seen only new. So, when you say “out of touch” what does that really mean? Maybe to bring it more current, if someone who only recently watched claimed the more recent SpongeBob episodes were as good as or better than the older original ones, would you say they’re “out of touch”?

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Sorry, but nothing in the history of the Bruins will ever be less entertaining than the Dave Lewis season. From here to eternity, that season is the low bar.
The throwing of the bear head in the locker room wasn't entertaining?

I know they sucked that year, but at least there was turnover in the roster and they were building towards something.

I think if Charlie cleaned house and brought in new management and a new coach, they'd be a more compelling watch even if they weren't in the mix for a playoff spot.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I think one’s viewpoint on this topic might vary according to how many years they’ve watched the Bruins. Many have seen the old style AND the new style. Some have seen only new. So, when you say “out of touch” what does that really mean? Maybe to bring it more current, if someone who only recently watched claimed the more recent SpongeBob episodes were as good as or better than the older original ones, would you say they’re “out of touch”?

It’s not that deep - just a funny meme.

Reactions: TheReal13Linseman

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
to answer the thread question....
Not good.
Most games I havent watched since about late in the season 2007.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I am really souring on analytics- it has gone from being a useful tool in the player/team evaluation process to being the first, last and only evaluation tool that matters for too many people, including hockey people.

I saw this in t our post game thread- there were posters using analytics to claim the Bruins "dominated" and "outplayed" the Red Wings. On what freaking planet did that occur? The Red Wings outplayed the Bruins period, that's how they won the game!

Analytics cannot measure the compete level of a player or a team for that matter. Right now the compete level on this team is very low. Players are simply not making the effort & sacrifices necessary to help the team win games which is another reason I have trouble staying engaged.

Reactions: mar2kbos

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Ok, so taking this in a bit of a different direction:

Much has been made about analytics and pace of play in Major League Baseball. The way the game is played at the pro level, and all the way down to the youth levels has changed. Many yearn for the old days.

Meanwhile, the National Football League has also had to evolve and change for many of the same reasons the NHL has had to; player safety. The NHL is not going to suddenly encourage more fighting and collisions. Football has legislated the kickoff out of the game and made hits to the head and roughing the passer points of major emphasis. Scoring is up, but people are still watching and the NFL is still king?

So does the NHL product suck?
Does the Bruins' product suck?
Do some of us just have nostalgia glasses on for an era gone-bye?

Reactions: Dr Hook

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I never missed a Bruins game, now I watch when home and rarely watch other teams games. The sport is boring compared to what it was only 7-8 years ago.

I find the bolded to be a tell-tale sign. I haven't watched a full non-Bruins game yet this year. Didn't watch any of the vaunted "North Division" last year. I think when hockey fans aren't tuning into other teams and other games, says a lot about what they think and feel about the current NHL product.

Great post BTW. Spot on.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I find the bolded to be a tell-tale sign. I haven't watched a full non-Bruins game yet this year. Didn't watch any of the vaunted "North Division" last year. I think when hockey fans aren't tuning into other teams and other games, says a lot about what they think and feel about the current NHL product.

Great post BTW. Spot on.
I tuned into the first week on TNT/ESPN out of curiosity in terms of the broadcast.

I think the last regular season neutral game I watched other than that was when shit went down between NYR and Washington at the end of last season, just to see if there'd be a line brawl.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Much has been made about analytics and pace of play in Major League Baseball. The way the game is played at the pro level, and all the way down to the youth levels has changed. Many yearn for the old days.

Meanwhile, the National Football League has also had to evolve and change for many of the same reasons the NHL has had to; player safety. The NHL is not going to suddenly encourage more fighting and collisions. Football has legislated the kickoff out of the game and made hits to the head and roughing the passer points of major emphasis. Scoring is up, but people are still watching and the NFL is still king?

Personally I don't think the NHL has done much to discourage fighting. The instigator rule was the biggest change but that's 25 years ago now.

It's at the grass-roots level where fighting and even scrums/fashwashes/etc. is heavily discouraged and penalized. So you have a whole generation of players who couldn't engage for fear of harsh punishment/long suspensions. Even mouthing off to each other your risking getting ejected from the game pretty easily now. Emotion is discouraged at the minor hockey level.

Then you have NHL GMs who don't place as much emphasis on those types of intangibles, place more emphasis on analytics, and don't have a place among their 12 forward spots for a guy who specialization is dropping the gloves. Then the few guys who remain have no dance partners as no one is willing to fight them. The number of guys in the NHL who would drop-em with Reaves or Lucic you can count on two hands.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

That's it in a nutshell.

The Special K

Hoss MOFO, Hoss.
Sep 26, 2008
Canal Winchester, OH
watching this team play hockey is like watching a dead fish float.
They did a piss poor job filling in the hole left by DK on the second line. They thought they could money ball that shit...nope. You sign a dude like Foligno for 4 per (the dude was cooked last year) expecting what? Goals? when was the last time he scored goals? 3-5 seasons ago?

Also, they draft trash...ok maybe not trash...but most teams draft like they are swinging for the fences....we draft more like a sac-fly.
I swear these guys think that the recipe for success is to have 1 good line and a bunch of 3rd-4th liners. I can honestly say, that I have not been able to watch a single game in it's entirety this year thus far. Rather, I find myself switching teams like the devils...THE DEVILS ARE MORE ENTERTAINING THAT THIS!!!

Whateves...at least it's football season.

Reactions: TheReal13Linseman

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
That's it in a nutshell.

That's a big part of it, and a generation of kids coming up that enjoy playing the sport but don't want to be in a care home drooling into their pablum in their 40s. The old days aren't coming back in large part because proper protective equipment was created, which also causes injuries, which necessitates stricter rules about contact. Fights? I think you need to look no further than face shields as large part of the problem. Helmets did the same to a lesser extent. Which player, aside from a few nutjobs, really wants to cut their hands up and break bones punching on that hard plastic? Something to think about, anyway.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Dreghorn2

He's a Good Boy!
Feb 8, 2005
I miss the spontaneous fighting, but i'm not too concerned about it.

I do not understand where the body checking has gone. Skill players should be dominating in games with so little physicality, but the Bruin-Detroit game as an example was a snooze fest of poor offensive hockey.

If there is no checking where is the skill? Too many games these past few seasons throughout the league have neither, no skill, no aggression equals boring.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I miss the spontaneous fighting, but i'm not too concerned about it.

I do not understand where the body checking has gone. Skill players should be dominating in games with so little physicality, but the Bruin-Detroit game as an example was a snooze fest of poor offensive hockey.

If there is no checking where is the skill? Too many games these past few seasons throughout the league have neither, no skill, no aggression equals boring.
Is the talent spread too thin with 32 clubs now?

Dreghorn2

He's a Good Boy!
Feb 8, 2005
Is the talent spread too thin with 32 clubs now?

It appears so.

I'm absolutely amazed at the difference in the League with respect to body checking in the last 5 years or so. I'm not surprised at the point totals some of the NHL stars are putting up in the regular season as they simply don't face the same physicality of years past, but the lack of skill throughout the League to take advantages of these changes is really concerning.

Let's face it the Bruins are from the best and far from the worst team in the League but the lack of skill through out their line up is noticeable and if there are teams out there with less than the Bruins have, well that's some bad hockey.

Mind you some decent ice might help, but that's another story.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
For entertainment value, I propose we hire Mike Milbury as GM to replace Sweeney.

Fans want big changes. Shoot for the stars. Moves made every week. Neely pulling his hair out. Great post-game interviews. Lottery picks. Boards exploding with profane commentary.

Just win? Hell no. Just entertain!

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
It appears so.

I'm absolutely amazed at the difference in the League with respect to body checking in the last 5 years or so. I'm not surprised at the point totals some of the NHL stars are putting up in the regular season as they simply don't face the same physicality of years past, but the lack of skill throughout the League to take advantages of these changes is really concerning.

Let's face it the Bruins are from the best and far from the worst team in the League but the lack of skill through out their line up is noticeable and if there are teams out there with less than the Bruins have, well that's some bad hockey.

Mind you some decent ice might help, but that's another story.

Having human sized goalie equipment would help too.

Dreghorn2

He's a Good Boy!
Feb 8, 2005
Milbury would be a disaster but fun as hell.. sorta, kinda,

I'd take almost anything over what appears to be an accelerating slide into mediocrity. The Bruins are one injury to a key player away from big big trouble.

My biggest concern is that the team's reshaping for the future is pushed back as current management looks at short term moves to save their jobs. Which of course is completely understandable from their perspective.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

How about all of the above? These 3 things are not mutually exclusive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad