“Frozen Frenzy” - the NHL’s latest awful marketing attempt

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Complete failure is a bizarre take and I don't believe that you didn't have that last sentence written up before the show. The concept IS fantastic. RedZone is a fantastic concept and this being copied has no bearing on it being fantastic or not. They need to improve the execution. This was basically a trial run, so if they do it again they can work on improving the execution.

Again someone missing the point of what this is. It's a frenzy of games not a bunch of games spread out all day. The point is to have a lot of stuff to cut back and forth to.

I mean that's fair, I was just stating what I would prefer to see because at the end of the day, nothing changed for me. I watched my team and completely ignored the late starts which would have been nicer to experience. It just seemed like too much action layered on top of itself.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Cmon what, what did I say that was wrong or not factual.
So because every nuanced detail isn’t 100% identical that nullifies the fact this is a direct imitation of NFL red zone? I mean it’s only been brought up multiple times in this thread beforehand.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
So because every nuanced detail isn’t 100% identical that nullifies the fact this is a direct imitation of NFL red zone? I mean it’s only been brought up multiple times in this thread beforehand.
lol first time you mentioned red zone, staggering start times isn't the same as red zone. NHL has nothing similar to red zone, the closest thing would be switching to when a team gets a PP, vs getting within 20 yards of a touchdown.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
It was very disappointing that it wasn't available in Canada at all. I don't even think Sportsnet had a nationally broadcast game on until like 9:00 and it was on SN360.
It was available for free on the internet in HD like every other hockey game ever broadcasted

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
lol first time you mentioned red zone, staggering start times isn't the same as red zone. NHL has nothing similar to red zone, the closest thing would be switching to when a team gets a PP, vs getting within 20 yards of a touchdown.
Red zone and other comparisons to the nfl have been mentioned a bunch in this thread not by me.

Edit: in fact quick google search and literally the first thing pops up is a yahoo article comparing it to the red zone lol

And here’s another

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Red zone and other comparisons to the nfl have been mentioned a bunch in this thread not by me.

Edit: in fact quick google search and literally the first thing pops up is a yahoo article comparing it to the red zone lol

And here’s another

From article, like I said not the same and wouldn’t work the same.

Unfortunately, trying to reproduce the near-perfect entertainment product that is NFL RedZone was never going to happen for the NHL.

Anyways we’re done here,

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
It was obviously an attempt to copy the RedZone and that is a good thing because the RedZone freaking rocks. It is easily the best way to watch NFL football and one of the best ways to watch sports at all.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
As an EU student, I really liked this. Would be better and way more accessible on a weekend though.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
It would much better on a weekend

Start at 12 EST with games starting at 12, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 EST
Might be cool but would be a different thing. The point was to most game overlap for the actual Frozen Frenzy show they were doing.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I liked it but it should've been done on a Saturday or Sunday but the league tries to avoid the NFL, rightfully so, and it probably wouldn't stack up well against a major college football game. They should do the first Saturday of the season with games starting at 1 and going every half hour.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I liked it but it should've been done on a Saturday or Sunday but the league tries to avoid the NFL, rightfully so, and it probably wouldn't stack up well against a major college football game. They should do the first Saturday of the season with games starting at 1 and going every half hour.

ESPN/ESPN2 has a full slate of college football on Saturdays. They had Bettman on for a few minutes and he seemed to indicate that this wasn't necessarily a one off. ESPN will be looking for some original programming once football season is over.

ESPN has the NBA on Wednesday/Friday, so maybe they'll target a Tuesday/Thursday for the next one. As much as I'd enjoy Saturday, it's probably not the best night for TV ratings if you're trying to attract some new viewers.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I can't believe they marketed this scheduling error. One game Monday, one game Wednesday, 16 games the night in between. What a dumb ass league.

Oryxo

Oct 24, 2007
I can't believe they marketed this scheduling error. One game Monday, one game Wednesday, 16 games the night in between. What a dumb ass league.
It was something ESPN wanted the NHL to do, it wasn't an error.

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
And with all the complaining, it actually did pretty well with the ratings proving..I don’t know what… I watched it for a while and it was decent. Probably would be better with one host and NFL Red zone by nature just works better. But hopefully they can do it more often and do some tweaks. But knowing ESPN it will be a throwing the baby out with the bath water

Reactions: Billdo

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
As an EU student, I really liked this. Would be better and way more accessible on a weekend though.
Yes, but if you succeed in creating interest in it, you get more fans in the arenas and more viewers on a weeknight that is usually a tough sell, instead of holding it on what is already a big viewership and attendance day.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Seeing the NHL making a big deal about an all day slate of games on a Tuesday, when many people will be at work or school just has me shaking my head at how bad the league is at promoting itself and putting together a product that will attract new viewers. Is anyone honestly excited about this? When Friedman first said they were planning this in one of his columns, I thought it might be fun if it were all day on a weekend, close to the end of the season when the eyes are on playoff races and no football, but doing this on a random Tuesday in October just makes me laugh at how lame this is. Not to mention the fact that none of the games are super compelling and that they’re going head to head with NBA opening night and NLCS Game 7

Why would you make a post shitting on something that you don't even understand?

This is not an all day event and the earliest games start after 6pm so why are you talking about school and work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Crescent Street

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I don’t think I’ve seen anyone questioning the basic idea, just the execution.

It feels entirely like they decided to do this by taking a random week and stuffing the Monday and Wednesday games into Tuesday.

If you think this is "random" you're out to lunch.

This date was selected because of the start of the NBA season and the fact there was likely going to be an MLB playoff game. This date is very specific, not random.

Reactions: Crescent Street

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad