• Gaeten Haas

Votes: 10 6.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Oh but it's not the city, right? Many fans live in a vaccume and cant come to the harsh reality the most players would rather play anywhere but Edmonton.

As an NHL player you don't live in your main city a third of the year due to away games, and a third of the year due to the offseason.

I've had people from all over the world say they love Edmonton. From world class cities have told me straight up they'd live here, and several of them have and did they would do it again.

Look at some of the "big winners" today such as Minnesota and Columbus. They have basically all the same drawbacks and more that Edmonton does. And we have a lot of positives they don't.

But we do have an arrogant anti player attitude; none of those teams have been publically tar and feathering players to cover for management's mistakes for decades. None of them said that a roleplayer was the sheer reason they didn't make the playoffs, at least publically. And if Edmonton is so shitty why does this management team want to live here, anyway?

Don't believe their lie. Edmonton is fine. It's the management themselves that makes players run. I sure as shit wouldn't sign up to work for a manager that I just saw on TV eviscerate a member of his team.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Leafs are a reasonably well run org the last 5-6 years, making good moves more than once a decade is kind of a thing.
They're getting lucky. The Marleau and Zaitsev contracts were ones that did ultimately bite them in the ass. Unfortunately when you have a goofball team like Ottawa willing to let them off the hook, it makes them look a hell of a lot better than they've actually been.

That trade is so unbelievably one-sided that you legitimately have to ask what Ottawa's getting out of it that isn't being reported. It reeks of collusion.

Reactions: Canada Drai

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
There'd sure be a lot of empty threads.. Probably easier to only come on HF when the Oilers win. These people go silent then anyway

Not really. There are many intelligent and constructive posters here that contribute thoughtful and logical posts that are worth reading.
But there are others who are cancerous and toxic that contribute nothing though they are within their rights to their own opinion.
Utilizing the ignore tool will help weed out the useless trash opinions from the quality posts in the fan base. More than likely you'll be ignoring a troll disguised as an oiler fan.

I think of the fanbase as a team. What type of team members help build a better community and outlook then ones that can critique thoughtfully but critically. If you've been lurking long enough on these forums, you know which people have nothing to contribute in their posts but negativity and cancerous attitude to failure and wishing the failings of others.

The threads have not been barren from what I noticed. I've seen way more quality content and that is why I come to these forums.

The ignore tool is your best friend here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leo360

Leon Draisaitl

German Gretzky
Jun 26, 2014
Who else do they even have to ship out? Brown, Kadri, Zaitsev, Marleau all traded away. Hyman hurt for beginning of season. Just resigned Kapanen and Johnsson. I guess that leaves Nylander??
I would guess they offer Marner 1 or 2 years at 8M per. I don't see why he would do it, but if they can convince him, then that should be enough to get them under the cap.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They're getting lucky. The Marleau and Zaitsev contracts were ones that did ultimately bite them in the ass. Unfortunately when you have a goofball team like Ottawa willing to let them off the hook, it makes them look a hell of a lot better than they've actually been.

That trade is so unbelievably one-sided that you legitimately have to ask what Ottawa's getting out of it that isn't being reported. It reeks of collusion.

It's called having a GM that seizes opportunity and aggressively seeks it out.

It can pay off at times. I can understand for Oiler fans it seems like voodoo magic.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
As an NHL player you don't live in your main city a third of the year due to away games, and a third of the year due to the offseason.

I've had people from all over the world say they love Edmonton. From world class cities have told me straight up they'd live here, and several of them have and did they would do it again.

Look at some of the "big winners" today such as Minnesota and Columbus. They have basically all the same drawbacks and more that Edmonton does. And we have a lot of positives they don't.

But we do have an arrogant anti player attitude; none of those teams have been publically tar and feathering players to cover for management's mistakes for decades. None of them said that a roleplayer was the sheer reason they didn't make the playoffs, at least publically. And if Edmonton is so ****ty why does this management team want to live here, anyway?

Don't believe their lie. Edmonton is fine. It's the management themselves that makes players run. I sure as **** wouldn't sign up to work for a manager that I just saw on TV eviscerate a member of his team.

a lot of people will say they would live in Edmonton..usually from April 15th to October 15th--they other part not so much

as a former Edmontonian I will stay out of this discussion because I have lived in Edmonton and several other NHL cities and my opinions and view on the topic annoys some people and they do not want to go down this path again

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Kadri for Barrie is pretty even, though is Toronto planing to play defence next year? Barrie and Ceci don't change much vs. Gardner and Zaitsev. Hell Zaitsev might be the most reliable of those 4 in his own zone (RE: it's a low bar).

But Kadri was their matchup centre, and it seems like that's a glaring hole for them.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

But we do have an arrogant anti player attitude; none of those teams have been publically tar and feathering players to cover for management's mistakes for decades. None of them said that a roleplayer was the sheer reason they didn't make the playoffs, at least publically. And if Edmonton is so ****ty why does this management team want to live here, anyway?

Don't believe their lie. Edmonton is fine. It's the management themselves that makes players run. I sure as **** wouldn't sign up to work for a manager that I just saw on TV eviscerate a member of his team.

Its a problem....many players have said as much. Pretending it isnt a problem doesnt make it go away.
The travel is a particularily troubling issue and thats never going to change for Edmonton.

The Oilers will (for the most part) have to overpay for 1st and 2nd tier UFA's...its just reality.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
for one year of Foulk? that is a lot to me.

I would say it is actually low on the value scale if you look at Kadri (legit 2C may be more on a great contract) getting Barrie and Pionk + 1st for Trouba (who was a rental technically NYR was not allowed to talk extension before)

Still though a lot or not I would say a Faulk means more to this team this year than any of JP Bear Benning Yamamato etc. In fact I would say it is difference between playoffs and missing.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Its a problem....many players have said as much. Pretending it isnt a problem doesnt make it go away.
The travel is a particularily troubling issue and thats never going to change for Edmonton.

The Oilers will (for the most part) have to overpay for 1st and 2nd tier UFA's...its just reality.
So than maybe we shouldn't have hired a GM who has proven incapable of making player for player trades in his career?

Perhaps that would have been a prudent decision....

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So than maybe we shouldn't have hired a GM who has proven incapable of making player for player trades in his career?

Perhaps that would have been a prudent decision....

Never a bad time to complain eh Spawn. You have those complaint neuro nets hardwired for quick access.
Good for you. :D

No point in waiting any longer than 2 months...the future is obvious. :nod:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Never a bad time to complain eh Spawn. You have those complaint neuro nets hardwired for quick access.
Good for you.

It's a serious and legitimate criticism of the hire. If Edmonton is a place that is going to be difficult to attract free agents, than you need a GM who is able to make good trades for those players. Ken Holland has literally never been able to do that in his career as a GM.

Reactions: Beerfish
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad