LeBrun: “But you know where I’d really like to see Wayne Simmonds is in Tampa Bay."

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
LeBrun: ‘Simmonds would be a hell of a finishing touch’ for contender

“But you know where I’d really like to see Wayne Simmonds is in Tampa Bay. I know what you’re going to say. It’s the last thing they need is a forward, but I’m going to tell you right now that I think there was certainly some hesitation within the organization the way they kind of meekly went out to Washington last spring. And I think part of it is the Caps pushed them around.

“And obviously you’ve got Tom Wilson on that Stanley Cup championship team that is quite a wildcard himself, in that he’s a great player but also he’s scary. Well let me tell you, if those teams happen to meet again at some point down the road in the playoffs, having Wayne Simmonds on your side wouldn’t be a bad thing if you’re the Tampa Bay Lightning.

“So I don’t know this for a fact, but I’d be shocked if that hasn’t come up in Tampa’s internal meetings, that they should at least inquire.

I'd love him in TB. Tampa has lots of F prospects. What would a realistic deal look like from the Flyers fans?

Last edited:
Reactions: Major4Boarding

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Why are you using the LeBrun tag for LeBrun saying he'd like to see a player somewhere? I thought those tags were used for actual rumors, although Friedman's thoughts constantly get tagged with the Friedman tag too.
Solid contribution.

Mods can remove the tag if they feel it's not applicable. I used the tag because it's Lebrun talking about a player and a place he'd like to see him end up. I in turn asked Flyers fans what the cost would be from their side because I would also like that. This is a trade discussion forum, so I'm not really sure why this is an issue.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Can't see a deal being done because we don't need Simmonds enough to trade a 1st, I don't think he's even worth a 1st right now, and we can't trade our 2nd since it's going to the Rangers unless we win the Cup. I'd gladly do a 3rd + for Simmonds but that will easily be beat. Don't want to move a good prospect either as he's a pure rental as we can't afford him going forward.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Can't see a deal being done because we don't need Simmonds enough to trade a 1st, I don't think he's even worth a 1st right now, and we can't trade our 2nd since it's going to the Rangers unless we win the Cup. I'd gladly do a 3rd + for Simmonds but that will easily be beat. Don't want to move a good prospect either as he's a pure rental as we can't afford him going forward.
I think Lebrun is absolutely right about the Caps pushing Tampa around. Cernak has helped with the physicality (and it seems to have rubbed off on Paquette a bit) but I think Simmonds would be the perfect player to add to this roster for the playoff grind.

I'd happily give up a good prospect to bring in Simmonds, even if it is for a half of a season. TB still has plenty in the pipeline.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I would imagine Philly would want close-to or ready-to-go prospects rather than picks out of us.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I would imagine Philly would want close-to or ready-to-go prospects rather than picks out of us.

Personally, I prefer the picks. We have a lot of close-to or ready-to-go prospects that we're still trying to clear space for. A pick with a longer window to work with makes a bit more sense.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Not necessarily. 1st round picks are nice toss ins for trades, which I assume we'll be active in this summer / draft.
Fair enough. It seems like you guys have a decent amount of good pieces, and another close to ready or ready piece could be more beneficial than picks, but you'd know much better than I. We've got a handful of nearly ready prospects.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Fair enough. It seems like you guys have a decent amount of good pieces, and another close to ready or ready piece could be more beneficial than picks, but you'd know much better than I. We've got a handful of nearly ready prospects.

Could go either way, if were being honest. as @mja said, we could use the pick to get someone thats a little further down the road, especially with the expansion draft coming. Or, we could use it to package in a trade for a "right now" player, which is what management said they wanted to do when they let Hextall go. Teams sometimes like the option to take their own guy (or, could also be looking forward to expansion draft as well), and prefer the pick to players.

I dont know that theres a right or wrong answer in the flyers current situation.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Personally, I prefer the picks. We have a lot of close-to or ready-to-go prospects that we're still trying to clear space for. A pick with a longer window to work with makes a bit more sense.
Tampa can't do the first this year, but could do a next year first and a prospect, and this fan would be delighted to make that move. Tampa first rounders are likely low for the foreseeable future, and while F prospects on ELCs will be invaluable to TB in the coming seasons, a Cup would be infinitely more important and I think Simmonds could be a big piece for TB. We don't have a guy like him.

Boyle would be a lower cost guy I'd look at but I think TB needs a player of their type.

Reactions: BernieParent

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Tampa has not only the room for him but could use a guy like him.

As good as we are, it would probably please TB fans to add some toughness. We are a tough team to play against but with some added grit makes it really hard to play against. Especially in the playoffs.

WesTheBest92

Jul 2, 2018
I would like to see him play for us, he brings physical play, net front pressure, leadership role, none stop on the puck.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Solid contribution.

Mods can remove the tag if they feel it's not applicable. I used the tag because it's Lebrun talking about a player and a place he'd like to see him end up. I in turn asked Flyers fans what the cost would be from their side because I would also like that. This is a trade discussion forum, so I'm not really sure why this is an issue.

It's fine. Generally speaking, the Lebrun prefix pertains to any insight he provides. Same goes for McKenzie, Friedman, Dreger, etc.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
He's one tough customer. The only drawback is that he's prone to losing his cool. It wouldn't hurt Tampa to bring him in though.

I'm not even sure that's an issue from a Tampa standpoint. It may even be a positive. You obviously don't want the guy suspended, but aside from a lack of toughness, I feel like one of the biggest weaknesses Tampa has is sometimes there's not enough fire. Having a guy in the lineup that may just lose it and go nuts might put that fire in them and have a positive effect.

Reactions: BHD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad