News Article: “Bruins Have A Logjam on Defense”

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Not to mention that trading Krug in season will be dropping a massive asteroid in the middle of the dressing room of a Stanley Cup contending team. The likes we haven't seen since the Boychuk trade. How did that work our for them. The goal is to compete for a Stanley Cup when the window is there.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Not to mention that trading Krug in season will be dropping a massive asteroid in the middle of the dressing room of a Stanley Cup contending team. The likes we haven't seen since the Boychuk trade. How did that work our for them. The goal is to compete for a Stanley Cup when the window is there.
It would be worse than the Boychuk debacle. I prefer to have that never happen again

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
Exactly. The time to trade Krug (if at all) was at the draft. Otherwise, whatever you're getting in return for him isn't going to be of any help for the present.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
They need a RW for second line or they can move coyle to second line RW and grab a 3rd line center.
How can we do that without dealing one of the 8 dmen we have?? I dont see how we can do it.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
They need a RW for second line or they can move coyle to second line RW and grab a 3rd line center.
How can we do that without dealing one of the 8 dmen we have?? I dont see how we can do it.

I don't think anyone is advocating that they not trade ANY of our Dmen. Just not Krug (unless maybe it's a pretty significant overpay).

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Millers knees are a concern and his shoulder problems limiting his fighting ability means to me he may not be the same player he was in the past. The value is his physicality and it is reminding me like how Seids was in the end. If he cannot play that way well I would rather a younger, cheaper, healthier Clifton it is the better option. Cliffy can be physical and has a better offensive game.

Last edited:

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I don't think anyone is advocating that they not trade ANY of our Dmen. Just not Krug (unless maybe it's a pretty significant overpay).
Before last years playoffs I wouldve been all for dealing Krug. But he really stepped up his game last playoffs.
I think either Gryz Moore or Miller will be dealt. from the current 8

Reactions: bbfan419

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
If you lose Miller, you lose a lot of backbone.

You're going to see guys target Pastrnak more and more now, and the Bruins have absolutely no one on the roster outside of possibly Chara that will make a statement. Unless you want a guy to go after the guy who targets Pastrnak to get his ass kicked, then you probably go with the same roster we have now.

Krug & Gryz got absolutely bounced around last year in the corners basically every time they entered them. The Bruins don't really have any guy who will punish them, Miller is one of those guys.

Backes would but then he risks concussion #11 if he does :(

Chara can't police things alone. McAvoy & Carlo are big enough but they don't seem to be willing take on that role, so that leaves Killer. We need more size/snarl back there.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If KRUG signs you likely are going with

Chara - year to year no expansion protection

Grzelcyk- you want to keep expansion concern

Vaakanainen- long term no protection required

Moore -either he or Grzelcyk stays

Zboril snd Lauzon - one stays

if KRUG goes and Chara near End

Grzelcyk protected

Vaakanainen here

2 of Moore Zboril Lauzon r here

Reactions: Blowfish

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
We are in a pickle when Miller returns.
You have to figure that Krug,Mac,Big Z, Carlo and Grizz are all in the lineup every night.
That leaves two spots to fill and we have four dee, Miller,Moore, Cliffy and Kampfer.
We can waive Kampfer, not sure and would not care if we loose him.
Cliffy is the one that concerns me. He has to pass through waivers as well and I can assure you that some team will pick him up.
I think DS has to:
1) waive Kampfer and see what happens. If he gets through waivers, we send him to Prov.
2) start calling around and look to deal at least one of Cliffy/Moore or Miller.
3)At this point I would take a 3-4th round pick for either Moore or Miller and prefer to keep Cliffy as the sixth guy and roll in one of Moore or Miller.
We still have Lauzon / Vaak and Zboril in the AHL, have more than enough depth.
4) Package Cliffy and JFK and try to get a decent winger. I have always liked Boone Jenner and think he would fit in nicely on the top 9. He is a proven / consistent 20 goal scorer and plays a heavy game. I wonder if we could pry Debrincat from the Hawks now? Vaak/Frederic and a first rounder?

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
We are in a pickle when Miller returns.
You have to figure that Krug,Mac,Big Z, Carlo and Grizz are all in the lineup every night.
That leaves two spots to fill and we have four dee, Miller,Moore, Cliffy and Kampfer.
We can waive Kampfer, not sure and would not care if we loose him.
Cliffy is the one that concerns me. He has to pass through waivers as well and I can assure you that some team will pick him up.
I think DS has to:
1) waive Kampfer and see what happens. If he gets through waivers, we send him to Prov.
2) start calling around and look to deal at least one of Cliffy/Moore or Miller.
3)At this point I would take a 3-4th round pick for either Moore or Miller and prefer to keep Cliffy as the sixth guy and roll in one of Moore or Miller.
We still have Lauzon / Vaak and Zboril in the AHL, have more than enough depth.
4) Package Cliffy and JFK and try to get a decent winger. I have always liked Boone Jenner and think he would fit in nicely on the top 9. He is a proven / consistent 20 goal scorer and plays a heavy game. I wonder if we could pry Debrincat from the Hawks now? Vaak/Frederic and a first rounder?
clifton would get picked up 100 percent. if we werent holding his offense back the kid would be racking up alot of points. i could see alot of teams wanting him in a trade. grrat terms too.

Reactions: bbfan419

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Link? Not because I don't trust you. I just want to see how close/far apart the numbers really are. Plus it's still very early in the season and, between that and all the injuries and roster juggling, there's a significant sample-size issue.

2019-20 Boston Bruins Roster and Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com

3 of the last 4 seasons bruins goalies have had their worst save percentage with krug on the ice among all defenders.

also this year he is tied for 3rd with mcavoy for even strength points and last year he was 2nd among defenders in even strength points and mcavoy was first. Krug is amazing on the power play, but considering the offensive opportunities he gets compared to every other defender, he should be blowing away everyone in even strength points, especially when you factor in the quality of competition he faces compared to other defenders on the team every year.

Last edited:

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
My problem with Krug trade scenarios is that I think he is un-movable. Not because no other team wants him - obviously that’s not the case.

For me the issue is the impact on the team and room. He seems extremely well liked in the room and has publicly stated he wants to stay and would work with the team on a good deal. Trading someone like that - who has made a statement like that - could have a huge impact on the team. They are all big boys and know the deal, but I think we all know how tight this team is and that “playing for each other” factor is a not insignificant part of our success.

Don’t think we can or should move Krug on that point alone. Let alone the offense and talent he brings.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Very true...and probably one of the many very good reasons not to trade him.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
They won't move Moore until they see how he does post surgery. He won't get moved until the draft at the earliest. Bruins seem to really like him and now that he has had a year in the system, I think he's going to show what he's truly made of.

Also, you can't have enough depth down the stretch run into the playoffs.

In all honesty, I don't think this "log jam" is cleared up until the draft.

I also wouldn't be shocked if Kevan Miller does not return this season and hangs them up. I have no inside info but it is telling that there have been no updates since he suffered some sort of setback.

This is an unfortunate but unavoidable truth. Cassidy's latest comment on Miller is "I have nothing on Kevan. Nothing to report unfortunately."

So the timeframe for his return is still indefinite with continuing setbacks and even if he does eventually make it back it's becoming increasingly likely that he won't be the strong, tough Kevan Miller we all love and remember. He'll have to be extremely careful with how he carries himself on the ice and fighting and rough stuff will almost certainly be out. I'm not saying he still can't be of value to the team - even just having a guy on the ice who's a bigger body and an experienced, capable campaigner would be useful, providing he still has the legs to keep up with the pace of the game. But the days of Miller the enforcer seem just about done.

I give him until January to make a return. If he doesn't by then, and I really really hate to say this, then we may have seem the last of him in a Bruins jersey. I really hope he can pull through, but my optimism is fading.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
You can imagine what happens next.

upload_2019-12-5_21-45-54.jpeg

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
is that what happened? i sorta missed it, game was boring until toward the end.
saw smith ran pastrnak and then next thing i saw was moore on the ice.
Don’t know for sure- but it looked it from his body language as he skated off.

False alarm - my mistake

Last edited:

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I don't see Moore being the odd man out. He hasn't played since surgery, so it's a tough pill for any team to swallow in a trade unless the cost is so minimal that you'd be willing to take the risk. I just don't see that being the case here. I could see Gryz being the one traded if a trade is made - has value, cheap and cost controlled for a good while yet. He's been putting together some very good hockey, some very flashy hockey too.

The other option I could see happening is Clifton sent through waivers. There's significant risk there of him being scooped up though.

Absolutely no way they risk losing Clifton. It would be literally Kampfer, Moore then Miller be put on waivers
first on D before Clifton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad