NHL ‘22-‘23 Out of Town Thread VII: Stanley Cup Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

17of26

Sep 9, 2008
There are two things that drive me crazy about NHL officiating:

1) Inconsistency
2) Game management

Officials are going to get some calls wrong, that's just a fact of life. They're human and the game is crazy fast at ice level.

What I cannot stomach is when a play is a penalty in the first period, but that same play is not a penalty in the third period.

I also loathe "game management". If you have watched the league for any length of time, you can predict who is going to get the next penalty with a fairly high degree of accuracy. This is just wrong.

In a 5 on 4 situation, the threshold for a penalty on the shorthanded team goes up and the threshold for the team with the man advantage goes down.

In a 5 on 3, unless it's a mandatory call like a puck going over the glass, there is no way in hell that the shorthanded team is ever getting another penalty. Meanwhile, the power play team will get a penalty if they even sneeze on an opponent.

If one team gets 3 penalties in a row, you just know the next call is going against the other team.

I'm sure there are other cases, but these are just the ones off the top of my head.

Reactions: BMC and Therick67
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad