Speculation: ‘20-21 Trade/Free Agency Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Not sure if everyone has seen but Reinhart has recently said he's at the point in his career he doesnt want to play on a rebuilding team... you can assume Eichel is thinking the same from his comments. So I really don't expect the Ducks to be seriously in on either.

I'd like to see them take a swing at Laine, although Torts leaving makes it less likely they'll move him this offseason I think.

Either way I think it'll be an underwhelming offseason, especially if Murray is still running things.

Reactions: Arthuros

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
That’s where being a GM comes into play lol. The job doesn’t stop once you get Eichel, it just brings you so much closer. It will still require the acquisition of talent around Z and Eichel obviously.

This is where BobMurray or whoever the GM is would have to get creative. I think it’s incredible that some think the absolute only avenue to acquire that talent is through drafting in the 1st round.
People are insane it’s much harder to find/acquire zegras and eichels of the world than it is to find complementary wingers to play with them.

comtois terry Rakell silf ... you can prob slide getz/steel/Henrique to wing and see if something comes from it. Always fa wingers that end up working out for cheap.

having eichel/ zegras down the middle. Lindholm Fowler drysdale fluery on back end and Gibson/dostal oee in net gives us a pretty strong core to find pieces for

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I agree. He mentioned them but only in the context that Murray wants to "make a splash". The reality is that the pieces for a good match are not there and Murray must know that. Seravelli spent much more time with details on the Kings pursuit of Eichel. Of the two teams (LA and Anaheim), LA is better positioned to get Eichel and it is more logical for them to do so while Doughty and Kopitar are still productive.
I'm not sure im LA is in better position. They already have 2 10 mill players, 1 being a center. They have more expendable prospects but their roster structure may not be a great fit. You can push Kopi to #2 but you have a ton of top center prospects who are going to be a lot cheaper which allows them to spend elsewhere.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Not sure if everyone has seen but Reinhart has recently said he's at the point in his career he doesnt want to play on a rebuilding team... you can assume Eichel is thinking the same from his comments. So I really don't expect the Ducks to be seriously in on either.

I'd like to see them take a swing at Laine, although Torts leaving makes it less likely they'll move him this offseason I think.

Either way I think it'll be an underwhelming offseason, especially if Murray is still running things.

I think Jarmo will pull the ultimate troll move and put Laine in a package for Eichel.

Essentially Dubois+ for Eichel and Roslovic.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
LA may have the prospects needed to put up a futures package for Eichel, but I think they won't pull the trigger.

Eichel isn't coming here either, Buffalo would just ask for Z and Drysdale, and we all know how that went during the Dubois saga.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I'm not sure im LA is in better position. They already have 2 10 mill players, 1 being a center. They have more expendable prospects but their roster structure may not be a great fit. You can push Kopi to #2 but you have a ton of top center prospects who are going to be a lot cheaper which allows them to spend elsewhere.

Thats a big reason I'm skeptical of them. More talent is always better but how hard are they really gonna go to add basically the only thing they don't need when they have so many holes? All while really kneecapping their ability to address those holes. They're certainly one of the most capable teams of pulling it off but I dunno, I don't see them going to lengths other teams won't.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018

I could be wrong, but it seems like that's been the case for years. We keep thinking he'll make the big moves in the offseason instead of the trade deadline and then nothing happens.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

They are in a better position asset-wise but I agree that their assets would best be used elsewhere...a top 4 LHD and at least one (preferably two) scoring wingers.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
My biggest concern with acquiring someone like Eichel at this point is that the Ducks lack organizational depth at any position to deal from a position of strength. Let's assume that Buffalo would accept an offer I saw earlier in this thread: Rakell, Comtois, Perreault, and 2 1sts (21 and 22). So now you've got Eichel and Zegras up front and not much else besides Henrique and Terry. That's a worse situation for Eichel than he had in Buffalo!

And how do you improve the team going forward? You've traded your two best roster players in Rakell and Comtois. No one wants anything else on the roster except for Gibson, Lindholm, Manson, and Drysdale. Are you trading one or more of them as well? That's creating holes to fill holes. Free agency is expensive and most don't want to come to California. The prospect pool is average at best and won't return the type of talent needed to complement Zegras and Eichel now. You've traded your two best draft picks. Do you continue to trade future 1sts and 2nds to upgrade today's roster? Finally, Eichel becomes "the man" and all the pressure is on him. Zegras at 20 isn't ready to lead the team and none of the defensemen have the personality to do it. That's a lot of pressure for a guy that has no supporting cast. It all seems very risky to me with the probability of failure being very high.

Contrast that with LA's situation. They could trade from a position of strength (center prospects) to upgrade their center position without hurting the existing NHL roster. Vilardi, Turcotte, and a 1st for Eichel probably is close to what would be required. And presto, they upgrade from Vilardi to Eichel without losing anything off their remaining roster. Turcotte goes in the trade but Byfield is still there as a top center prospect. Eichel doesn't have to be "the man" because Kopitar and Doughty are still there. Makes tons more sense organizationally even if I think LA would be best suited to use their assets for other things.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
My biggest concern with acquiring someone like Eichel at this point is that the Ducks lack organizational depth at any position to deal from a position of strength. Let's assume that Buffalo would accept an offer I saw earlier in this thread: Rakell, Comtois, Perreault, and 2 1sts (21 and 22). So now you've got Eichel and Zegras up front and not much else besides Henrique and Terry. That's a worse situation for Eichel than he had in Buffalo!

And how do you improve the team going forward? You've traded your two best roster players in Rakell and Comtois. No one wants anything else on the roster except for Gibson, Lindholm, Manson, and Drysdale. Are you trading one or more of them as well? That's creating holes to fill holes. Free agency is expensive and most don't want to come to California. The prospect pool is average at best and won't return the type of talent needed to complement Zegras and Eichel now. You've traded your two best draft picks. Do you continue to trade future 1sts and 2nds to upgrade today's roster? Finally, Eichel becomes "the man" and all the pressure is on him. Zegras at 20 isn't ready to lead the team and none of the defensemen have the personality to do it. That's a lot of pressure for a guy that has no supporting cast. It all seems very risky to me with the probability of failure being very high.

Contrast that with LA's situation. They could trade from a position of strength (center prospects) to upgrade their center position without hurting the existing NHL roster. Vilardi, Turcotte, and a 1st for Eichel probably is close to what would be required. And presto, they upgrade from Vilardi to Eichel without losing anything off their remaining roster. Turcotte goes in the trade but Byfield is still there as a top center prospect. Eichel doesn't have to be "the man" because Kopitar and Doughty are still there. Makes tons more sense organizationally even if I think LA would be best suited to use their assets for other things.
I think that trade was a bit excessive as it does torpedo our depth. Imo if we have a top 2 pick then the adds arent near as many or big. When was the last time a top 5 pick was actually traded. The Sedins? Those picks even in this draft will hold great value. Eichel will for sure get more but he does have health concerns. Makes 10 mill in a flat cap and only 5 years of control. That draft pick will offer at least 7 years of control and the bargin ELC contract. That player may not be Eichel but its not a difference of 4 addition premium assets.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I think that trade was a bit excessive as it does torpedo our depth. Imo if we have a top 2 pick then the adds arent near as many or big. When was the last time a top 5 pick was actually traded. The Sedins? Those picks even in this draft will hold great value. Eichel will for sure get more but he does have health concerns. Makes 10 mill in a flat cap and only 5 years of control. That draft pick will offer at least 7 years of control and the bargin ELC contract. That player may not be Eichel but its not a difference of 4 addition premium assets.

I don't think Buffalo can trade Eichel without getting back at least 2 players who can play on the team this coming year and contribute. As such, Rakell and Comtois would almost certainly be needed. The Ducks may be able to get by with giving only 2 of the 3 futures pieces but not much less than that. And then it depends on what Buffalo wants to do...go full rebuild (again!) or try to use the Eichel trade to improve the roster. If it is the latter then Buffalo will get better offers than Rakell and Comtois. If it is the former then Buffalo will want all 3 of the futures pieces and Comtois. Either way I don't see how Murray can make the best bid without gutting the organization.

And yes, of course any trade would depend on how healthy Eichel is. In fact, I don't see how a trade can be made this summer while Eichel's future prognosis is still unclear. I think this is all much ado about nothing ATM.

LuckyDucky

Mar 18, 2015
I already answered that in my 2nd post. The Gm would have to get smart and buy low on pieces that are undervalued. Why is it that the Lightning can find a Yanni Gourde and a Blake Coleman and we can’t? Why is it that Vegas can find a Chandler Stephenson and we can’t? Why is it that Florida can find a Sam Bennett, Patriq Hornqvist, Carter Verhagee, Anthony Duclair and we can’t? Why is it that Colorado can find a Brandon Saad, Nazem Kadri, Jonas Donskoi and we can’t?
These are the questions you should be asking yourself. And the answer is almost certainly that their front office has a better method to doing things than simply collecting 1st round picks and sitting back.

It’s not as unlikely as you think it is
None of those guys aren't top line talent. More importantly, those teams were in a different position than the Ducks are now; they actually had more established talent on the roster before acquiring those players. Also, some of those players were acquired by trading picks and/or players on those teams' current roster. The Ducks don't have the luxury of the latter and trading additional picks seems like a slippery slope.

For the sake of this discussion, let's say the Ducks acquired Eichel for the proposal I mentioned earlier. Which players that you listed would you want to be playing on the top line? Yes, some of those players would (and have) fit into a solid second line player, but the Ducks need top line talent.

Again, I'm not advocating that the Ducks perpetually acquire 1st round picks year after year. I just don't think the timing is right with how the roster is currently assembled.

LuckyDucky

Mar 18, 2015
People are insane it’s much harder to find/acquire zegras and eichels of the world than it is to find complementary wingers to play with them.

comtois terry Rakell silf ... you can prob slide getz/steel/Henrique to wing and see if something comes from it. Always fa wingers that end up working out for cheap.

having eichel/ zegras down the middle. Lindholm Fowler drysdale fluery on back end and Gibson/dostal oee in net gives us a pretty strong core to find pieces for
I'm as bullish as anyone on here about Zegras and Drysdale. I think they both have the ability to become truly impactful (possibly even stars) in this league. With that said, I don't think we can count our chickens considering they've only played 24 games each.

I can see that I'm more on the conservative side compared to most here. To each his/her own. Either way, this is going to be an extremely important offseason for the Ducks.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
None of those guys aren't top line talent. More importantly, those teams were in a different position than the Ducks are now; they actually had more established talent on the roster before acquiring those players. Also, some of those players were acquired by trading picks and/or players on those teams' current roster. The Ducks don't have the luxury of the latter and trading additional picks seems like a slippery slope.

For the sake of this discussion, let's say the Ducks acquired Eichel for the proposal I mentioned earlier. Which players that you listed would you want to be playing on the top line? Yes, some of those players would (and have) fit into a solid second line player, but the Ducks need top line talent.

Again, I'm not advocating that the Ducks perpetually acquire 1st round picks year after year. I just don't think the timing is right with how the roster is currently assembled.
The point is, the Ducks are only going to need complimentary top 6 pieces if they have Eichel and Zegras in the fold obviously.

In theory
I’m personally not giving up Comtois but I would give up 2021 1st+ 2022 1st+ Perreault+ LaCombe+Rakell
For arguments sake, you don’t think a top 6 of:

Duclair-Eichel-Terry
Comtois-ZegrasHornqvist

Is a contending top 6? I personally think it’s pretty damn close. And that’s my point. Getting Jack gets you to the point where you no longer need to acquire superstars, you just need supplementary pieces

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I would drive Comtois to Buffalo for Eichel. Throw in whatever picks you want. They won't trade him to us without Zegras or Drysdale involved... probably both. In that case there's no deal to be made we are in no place to trade either of them.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I would drive Comtois to Buffalo for Eichel. Throw in whatever picks you want. They won't trade him to us without Zegras or Drysdale involved... probably both. In that case there's no deal to be made we are in no place to trade either of them.
If they’re asking for both like you think they are then he will remain a disgruntled Sabre. The Kings are also not going to trade Byfield+Turcotte and the Rangers aren’t going to deal Kakko+Lafreniere

Which is the equivalent of a Zegras+Drysdale package. Those are 2 of the top 5 prospects in the league that are NHL ready already. The package is going to be large I don’t see something like that happening

Reactions: Trojans86

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
The point is, the Ducks are only going to need complimentary top 6 pieces if they have Eichel and Zegras in the fold obviously.

In theory
I’m personally not giving up Comtois but I would give up 2021 1st+ 2022 1st+ Perreault+ LaCombe+Rakell
For arguments sake, you don’t think a top 6 of:

Duclair-Eichel-Terry
Comtois-ZegrasHornqvist

Is a contending top 6? I personally think it’s pretty damn close. And that’s my point. Getting Jack gets you to the point where you no longer need to acquire superstars, you just need supplementary pieces
Assuming that Comtois and Terry continue to improve.
I'd include Comtois in the trade if they can put Top 3 protection on the 2022 pick.
Wright/Lambert/Savoie are the 1-2-3 in 2022 and if the Ducks somehow are worse next season and finish dead last they pick no lower than #3 Savoie with a decent chance at Lambert.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017

This about sums it up for me. It won't hurt to see Bob to try and get creative and I do get the argument that Buffalo may receive a quantity-centric package in the end, but I don't see how they're not targeting one of those two as the centerpiece, especially if the best we've got is one of Gibson/Lindholm and a bunch of complementary pieces (no matter how attractive attaching a top-5 pick is).

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness
Oct 18, 2011
It could be that a top 4 pick is what pushes a Anaheim offer past what LA or NYR could offer - assuming neither of those teams win one of the lotteries. I would have no trouble moving our first and some other pieces not named Zegs/Drysdale. The question is how much do you add, i'd be hesitant to include our first next season.
The idea of us getting Eichel without giving up either of those guys is just not realistic. Picks in the 21 draft just aren't as valuable as they normally are

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad