Speculation: ‘20-21 Trade/Free Agency Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Honestly I’m just surprised there are anti-rebuild people on here. I thought the consensus was Bob needs to go, and be replaced by a GM to rebuild the team around Zegras and Drysdale. The fact people are supporting a trade of Rakell for a 26 or 27 year old 2nd liner is boggling my mind right now.
We are rebuilding right now man, what do you think this is? I don't want the kids without insulation, and rakell is still young! He's not 35, he's 27.

I can't believe people can't look around the league and see the rubble of teams who went nuclear and have completely ruined any winning culture for their franchise.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
We are rebuilding right now man, what do you think this is? I don't want the kids without insulation, and rakell is still young! He's not 35, he's 27.

I can't believe people can't look around the league and see the rubble of teams who went nuclear and have completely ruined any winning culture for their franchise.

We aren’t in a full rebuild, Bob still thinks he can win with this group and you know that.

What winning culture? Those days are long gone.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
You and murray are on the same page here then. There is a difference between actively shopping a player and limiting what you'll take back vs. being open to listening on a player for a specific return. There's nothing wrong with that, and I'm actually glad he's putting it there.

My problem is limiting what they will take back. In the current state of the Ducks it is a complete mistake to say they wont take futures. They should be looking for the best return possible. And if that means a top prospect then that's what they should take.

Reactions: McDonald19

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
We aren’t in a full rebuild, Bob still thinks he can win with this group and you know that.

What winning culture? Those days are long gone.
We aren't in full tank, you mean. This is rebuilding. Nothing better than putting your kids in a position to lose.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
My problem is limiting what they will take back. In the current state of the Ducks it is a complete mistake to say they wont take futures. They should be looking for the best return possible. And if that means a top prospect then that's what they should take.
And I completely disagree. Getting rid of insulation is very bad for prospects.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
The truth is you have no way of knowing if his job is in jeopardy or not so your speculating the same as I am.
And comparing a bad half of the season to 4 years on the decline into the basement is kind of laughable.

Yes I do want his job to be in jeopardy. I don't see how that changes the validity to my argument that a return of a top prospect would have more impact on the Ducks longterm success then what they will get.

I hope I'm wrong and they get Laine out of this, but I seriously doubt they get a player in return that will make me feel good.

You're actually kind of right, just for the wrong reason. A decline out of contensership and the accompanying rebuild can be expected, one of the leading contenders being in the literal basement is a full panic scenario.

And no, that's a fine argument. But you're framing a theoretical move as desperate before we even know what it is, and I'm pushing back on that.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
You're actually kind of right, just for the wrong reason. A decline out of contensership and the accompanying rebuild can be expected, one of the leading contenders being in the literal basement is a full panic scenario.

And no, that's a fine argument. But you're framing a theoretical move as desperate before we even know what it is, and I'm pushing back on that.

Thats fair. But I think it is also fair at the very least to say that Bob is delusional about this roster if he thinks they are a shake-up trade away from being a playoff team. If he isn't delusional then he is doing it to say his job. That's how I view it.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
And I completely disagree. Getting rid of insulation is very bad for prospects.

And downgrading your veterans just to shake things up is bad for everyone.

I'm not going to argue if trading Rakell would be better longterm. We obviously disagree and thats fine.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Thats fair. But I think it is also fair at the very least to say that Bob is delusional about this roster if he thinks they are a shake-up trade away from being a playoff team. If he isn't delusional then he is doing it to say his job. That's how I view it.

He hasn't said that? Right now we're talking about trading away players like Rakell, Manson, Rico and Silf for younger players with the idea of them complementing the young core, what about that screams trying to make a playoff run?

It's also funny that Bob saying his hope was to compete for a playoff spot got him raked over the coals by many, meanwhile the beloved Kings, who are doing things the right way, said their goal was to make the playoffs this year.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
He has never been in a position to have to save his job. He has been on longterm contracts since like 2015. He has 1 year left and the team is missing the playoffs for the 3rd year in a row, and been one of the worst teams in what would be the West for the second year in a row. If his job doesn't need saving then idk what would get him to that point...

Also kind of funny you use that as an example because Fiala was only 22 at the time and it was considered a terrible deal at the time, and may still be considering he has been underwhelming this year.

• Bob is not going to do what is best for the longterm success of the team.
  • There is no way the Ducks get a 24 year old legit top 6 forward for Rakell.
  • If the return is not a legit top 6 guy then they are better off going for futures.
Edit: Also, if the return is a 27 year old top 6 winger then why trade Rakell at all?...
I think the bolded is the point all the reports suggest that BM ISN'T trying to trade him. Some of you folks just want him to for various reasons.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Teams have to pay veterans. They have to. Look around the league and find one team that doesn't.

Yes, pay the good ones. The timing was right to move Silfver. And that extension for Henrique, a notoriously streak 2nd line center, was a bad decision.

Oct 18, 2011
Moving rakell for another prospect or pick just opens another spot for a player not qualifed for it. That's what we want?
What type of roster player will you really get for him? At this point the objective is compiling a bigger asset pool than finding immediate solutions.

The alternative is to extend him which I think is a bad idea

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
He hasn't said that? Right now we're talking about trading away players like Rakell, Manson, Rico and Silf for younger players with the idea of them complementing the young core, what about that screams trying to make a playoff run?

It's also funny that Bob saying his hope was to compete for a playoff spot got him raked over the coals by many, meanwhile the beloved Kings, who are doing things the right way, said their goal was to make the playoffs this year.

Those same Kings that made these trades:
Muzzin for 1st + prospects
Martinez for 2 2nds
Toffoli for Madden + 2 2nds
Campbell and Clifford for 2 3rds

They ACTUALLY MADE those trades for futures that I am hoping for. They are like 3 years into their actual rebuild where they shipped players out.
The Ducks have made 1 trade that is on par with those for a rebuild and that is Kase.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Isn't it supposed to be a bit of a mess in a rebuild? Like if this was a "true rebuild" as you like to call it, what looks differently?

No, because the veterans have underperformed and the window to get value on many of them has passed. People on here are constantly talking about how Manson should have been moved for a premium when he was playing decent hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad