Confirmed with Link: Zuccarello Re-Signs (1 year/3.5 AAV)

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
At a point where he had 67 NHL games under his belt?

Im glad the Rangers dont live in this alternate universe where Zuccarello is constantly undervalued. They've handled him and his contracts just fine so far. Big year for him coming up.

Although I agree with you, there comes a point in time though where you have to take a gamble and that is something I feel Sather has been reluctant to do. Do you give it another year and then Zuccarello is asking for 6 million? Or could you have signed him to a 5 year 4.5 million dollar deal this year? Sather never takes these types of gambles. We would benefit from hitting a few home runs like this and it would also help our cap situation in a big way.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
There comes a point in time though where you have to take a gamble and that is something I feel Sather has been reluctant to do. Do you give it another year and then Zuccarello is asking for 6 million? Or could you have signed him to a 5 year 4.5 million dollar deal this year? Sather never takes these types of gambles. He would benefit from hitting a few home runs like this and it would also help our cap situation in a big way.

He just took one with Brassard, probably because of his position.

Given the Rangers' current RW makeup, what is his incentive to take a gamble?

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Although I agree with you, there comes a point in time though where you have to take a gamble and that is something I feel Sather has been reluctant to do. Do you give it another year and then Zuccarello is asking for 6 million? Or could you have signed him to a 5 year 4.5 million dollar deal this year? Sather never takes these types of gambles. We would benefit from hitting a few home runs like this and it would also help our cap situation in a big way.

Girardi's last contract and Staal's current one I think are examples of those. They were steals and really helped us out.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site

I think Sather had limited options. Either sign Brassard long-term or sign Zucc long-term. He could not have done both as he would be over the cap right. He chose Brassard, possibly because he's been the consistent player for many years even though Zucc was the better player season and part of the season before.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Good thing they have at least another year of MSL, and could also make a final judgment if MZA is worth a longterm investment during that timeframe.

That another year of MSL could very well lose them a player that could potentially replace his production. Doesnt have to be the end of the world, but it'll suck if it could have been avoided

Is making "gambles" unheard of in the NHL, or is it just the Rangers

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
That another year of MSL could very well lose them a player that could potentially replace his production. Doesnt have to be the end of the world, but it'll suck if it could have been avoided

Is making "gambles" unheard of in the NHL, or is it just the Rangers

I dont think you'll find a team with 2 better RW's on the roster, hand another RW a 4-5 year deal when they dont have to.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Depends on what the gamble was, there is just too much speculation to really know. If Zucc was asking for 5M per for 4 years which was rumored, that is a pretty big gamble.

To put it in another perspective even though it's a comparison based on players who were and are in different places in terms of how close they were to becoming an UFA, Stepan had more games played than what Zucc currently has, was coming off near a point per game season (44 in 48 games) and they did not gamble on him either last time he was up for contract.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Depends on what the gamble was, there is just too much speculation to really know. If Zucc was asking for 5M per for 4 years which was rumored, that is a pretty big gamble.

To put it in another perspective even though it's a comparison based on players who were and are in different places in terms of how close they were to becoming an UFA, Stepan had more games played than what Zucc currently has, was coming off near a point per game season (44 in 48 games) and they did not gamble on him either last time he was up for contract.

The difference was, at the end of Stepan's deal, he is still a RFA. AT the end of MZA's he is a UFA.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
The difference was, at the end of Stepan's deal, he is still a RFA. AT the end of MZA's he is a UFA.
Correct, but in terms of games played and how "safe" the gamble is, Zucc only has a pretty limited number of NHL games played to this point.

I am not going to argue that they should or should not have taken the gamble with Zucc, I am on the fence, but if it were me that would definitely factor into the choice.

Last edited:

Wolfy*

So if Zucc has a 60-70 point season he'll get at least 6 million a year on the open market.

I'm pretty sure they have agreed on an extension in January, that's what his agent said. He'll probably accept 5 per or something.

Otherwise the Rangers wouldn't do it this way if they want to keep him. Lundqvist also signed a one year deal, then signed the extension half a year later.

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
Good thing they have at least another year of MSL, and could also make a final judgment if MZA is worth a longterm investment during that timeframe.

Zuke having a poor year along 5 year signed Brassard might not be the best thing for signing him, rather the opposite. He might feel they make him make a discount vs freeagency to make 3 c become a 2 c, while he could do another 1 million with a 1 c somewhere else. Anyway, he will never accept less than Brassard now given the previous dicounts. If he feels his NY love gets exploited he will spilt, I am sure. He's got a temper, when he feels he's being handled unjustly. If it is what it is (no agreement) it's a gamble with very limited upside for NYR. 5 million in January might fix it though.

Last edited:

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
So if Zucc has a 60-70 point season he'll get at least 6 million a year on the open market.

I'm pretty sure they have agreed on an extension in January, that's what his agent said. He'll probably accept 5 per or something.

Otherwise the Rangers wouldn't do it this way if they want to keep him. Lundqvist also signed a one year deal, then signed the extension half a year later.

his agent said they violated the CBA? I believe the truth is the Rangers didn't have a choice but to do it this way. They couldn't sign both Brassard and Zucc to multi-year contracts. They signed Brassard, and I'm assuming because of the predictability of goals and points of him, albeit lower upside, compared to Zucc. This was their one deal to make. And I'm not saying a deal won't be done in January. I will say it may be tough because a Zucc deal will be based on both the cap and other things since next season there are other Rangers in need of new contracts and Zucc's contract will include an NMC, or NTC and they can't just frivolously sign him then dump him later. It isn't all about Zucc. There's also Stepan and Staal and Hagelin and MSL and...

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Zuke having a poor year along 5 year signed Brassard might not be the best thing for signing him, rather the opposite. He might feel they make him make a discount vs freeagency to make 3 c become a 2 c, while he could do another 1 million with a 1 c somewhere else. Anyway, he will never accept less than Brassard now given the previous dicounts. If he feels his NY love gets exploited he will spilt, I am sure. He's got a temper, when he feels he's being handled unjustly. If it is what it is (no agreement) it's a gamble with very limited upside for NYR. 5 million in January might fix it though.

If that happens, then the decision to sign him short-term would sure seem warranted.

The Rangers dont owe Zuccarello a thing, and he doesn't owe the Rangers a thing. This is a business.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
If that happens, then the decision to sign him short-term would sure seem warranted.

The Rangers dont owe Zuccarello a thing, and he doesn't owe the Rangers a thing. This is a business.

Yet we want homegrown players to take hometown discounts. It's a rather sad state of affairs when you make a system where the players and management view eachother as enemies during negotiations.

Makes for some real good feelings across the board

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Yet we want homegrown players to take hometown discounts. It's a rather sad state of affairs when you make a system where the players and management view eachother as enemies during negotiations.

Makes for some real good feelings across the board

Welcome to capitalism.

The great thing about it is that Zuccarello can go wherever he wants next summer if hes unhappy.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
True.

The idea that you have to earn your pay in sports...

#ICanDream

Or revenue sharing, or a whole bunch of things that attempt to mitigate the differences between the various markets in the NHL.

Nyrvana

Aug 29, 2008
Bronx, NY
www.nyrvana.net
Mats Zuccarello said that he would taken a long-term contract from the Rangers if it was on the terms that he wanted but that didn’t happen and for right now the best fit is a one-year deal. (VG)

Zuccarello said that the one-year deal had been done for a while but it was good to finally get it on paper. He adds, “I am happy†with the deal. (VG)

He adds that he has gotten indications from the Rangers that they are interested in a long-term deal but now it’s up to him to decide what will happen since he can be a free agent after the season. (VG)

Zuccarello said that the Rangers are his first choice but a deal must work for both sides. (VG)

He adds that he has proven he can play in the NHL. (VG)

Well this just adds fuel to both sides of the argument.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad