Injury Report: Zuccarello out with upper body injury UPGRADED: Day to Day (Not Cleared for Contact)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Oh, I was just referring to Game 7...

SCF, if he's ready to go, he has to be in. Someone will sit, and thats still a tough call.

Gotcha. I don't think there's a chance he's good to go for Game 7, and even if he is it's probably smarter to give him the few days off and get some practice in with the team instead of dropping him into what will likely be a heated physical elimination game.

Of course, if we lose on Friday by a goal i'll be kicking myself that they didn't get Zuke in.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
It's not a demotion. If you have 2 lines going strong and the only weak link on the 3rd is RW, you put your 2nd best RWer there to make the top 9 super solid.

MZA doesn't care about "demotions" in lines right now. He cares about getting the cup. If Miller suddenly vanishes, then you move Zuke up and the top 6 doesn't skip a beat. That's depth, baby.

Do you think Zucc will reject his Cup ring if he gets there from the second or third line? Will he be any less happy on the float during the parade? No? So let's put him where it suits him best. The guy doesn't know what it's like not to smile, so he'll be ok.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I'm glad all of us here are so confident about Game 7 that we are talking about the SCF because the team has done a phenomenal job in Game 7s in the past, but I really hope that the team isn't thinking the same way. The Rangers were in the OT the last Game 7 and were dominated until the puck bounced the right way to Stepan. Until that second, I was not hopeful at all that we'll win the OT.

Lundqvist will need to come through big for us because I don't see this team scoring more than 2 goals next game, and so far this series, he has been very underwhelming. Almost every game, including this one, Hank gave up a bad goal... or 2 or 3.

If Zucc is symptom-free for a while, you play him in the ECF Game 7. Maybe you give him more time in November, but on May 29, he should be playing a little earlier than normal. This team often struggles to score (let's keep in mind that we got shut out just the last game) and we need another weapon in Zuccarello to either score or to take the attention on the defense on himself to free up someone else to score. Tampa is not an overly physical team, so it's not terrible to rush him by a couple of days if he's symptom-free for a while.

Niloc1*

Yep, because Miller isn't ready for top line play based on one game. And we need Zucc in there with his pal Brass to get that line going, including Nash, they way it has all season.

Couple of other things...they don't pay a guy 4.5M a year to stay on the third line. And finally, they will not demote Zucc because he got injured.

Zucc makes $4.5M next year....right now he's being paid $0

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Thursday will be the big day, needs to take contact. I don't think it will happen, but hopefully they can win Friday without him, he gets a few more days off, as well as some practice, and be ready to go early in the next series if they get it done Friday.

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
rangers will never bench MSL...its not going to happen, dont even suggest it will.

Sheppard will sit, we all know it.

I'm guessing...

Nash - Brassard - Miller (you literally CAN NOT separate this line after the way they played tonight)
Kreider - Stepan - MZA
Hagelin - Hayes - MSL
Glass - Moore - Fasth

I like Fasth a ton up top..but he gives our 4th line a TON of help when he plays there.

Looks about right. Remember, Kreider-Stepan-Zucc have had som awesome chemistry in the past.

MTrangers

Oct 26, 2012
Missoula, MT
Yep, because Miller isn't ready for top line play based on one game. And we need Zucc in there with his pal Brass to get that line going, including Nash, they way it has all season.

Couple of other things...they don't pay a guy 4.5M a year to stay on the third line. And finally, they will not demote Zucc because he got injured.

Are you seriously partially basing your line combos on hierarchy of pay? That is one of the stupidest things I've read. Not to mention the fact that Zucc led us in scoring last year playing on the "third line".

You don't throw someone in who hasn't played for weeks on to a line that just carried is us to a win...look how much more valuable Miller is with skilled players. He has to stay until it looks like it isn't working.

SKS

Jan 17, 2011
San Francisco

You speak with such certainty on things you seem to have no idea about, Vikingboy.. All the time.

I would write more, but do not want to violate any forum rules, but just try to enter conversations with a shred of humility around fans who have followed this team for decades, please?

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
miller's line combined for 13 points...in an elimination play of game..

yeah...let's break them up....

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
This is on my mind too. Not sure if you can just drop him in Game 7. Especially cause he would have only had one full practice.

Well, perhaps 2.

Much too risky. Everyone looks at the psychological "boost" he would bring. I don't buy it. Also, what happens if he (god forbid) coughs up the puck for a gwg for Tampa in game 7? Who here will defend AV for dropping a rusty player into a game 7 situation? Let's see the hands.

I'd rather see them wait til game 1 of the SCF (assuming we get there) to bring him back into the lineup.......if he's ready.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
Much too risky. Everyone looks at the psychological "boost" he would bring. I don't buy it. Also, what happens if he (god forbid) coughs up the puck for a gwg for Tampa in game 7? Who here will defend AV for dropping a rusty player into a game 7 situation? Let's see the hands.

I'd rather see them wait til game 1 of the SCF (assuming we get there) to bring him back into the lineup.......if he's ready.

Yeah, I'm not sure any more of a psychological boost is possible in an ECF game 7. Everyone on both teams will be up for this game.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Yeah, I'm not sure any more of a psychological boost is possible in an ECF game 7. Everyone on both teams will be up for this game.

It's not just a psychological boost. MZA is an offensive talent who creates chances on a team that is extremely inconsistent in scoring. He adds another potential weapon to the squad. A rusty MZA is still far superior to Sheppard. You never know how things play out, but unless MZA looks terrible in practice, you play him because your odds are better with him than without him.

BarbaraAlphanse

It's not just a psychological boost. MZA is an offensive talent who creates chances on a team that is extremely inconsistent in scoring. He adds another potential weapon to the squad. A rusty MZA is still far superior to Sheppard. You never know how things play out, but unless MZA looks terrible in practice, you play him because your odds are better with him than without him.

Zucc should come in for Marty. That should be the trade off.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

If that's what happens, I will. You don't make these decisions based on fearful what-ifs. You ice the best roster. Period.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
If that's what happens, I will. You don't make these decisions based on fearful what-ifs. You ice the best roster. Period.

And your best roster is one with a rusty player inserted into a Game 7 to decide who plays for the stanley cup, who hasn't played in weeks? OK. This isn't pond hockey, it's the NHL playoffs. It takes players a lot of time to get into "game shape". Just look at other players that are still struggling to find their game after a concussion.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
And your best roster is one with a rusty player inserted into a Game 7 to decide who plays for the stanley cup, who hasn't played in weeks? OK. This isn't pond hockey, it's the NHL playoffs. It takes players a lot of time to get into "game shape". Just look at other players that are still struggling to find their game after a concussion.

I agree with you. It's risky putting a rusty player in such a crucial game 7. Klein has struggled a lot in his return. Hunnicutt was moving the puck better and making better decisions. ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad