Injury Report: Zuccarello out with upper body injury UPGRADED: Day to Day (Not Cleared for Contact)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I hope Zucc will be fine, but Nash is far from fine. Yes, he scored lots of goals in the regular season, but then the wind blew and he is now back to his underachieving.

Or maybe, and I may just be going out on a huge limb here, teams play tighter defense in the playoffs?

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Why are you still complaining about Nash? He had a great game in game 2.

I really wish the league wasn't secretive about injuries too because it leads to all kinds of speculation.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
That has little to do w having a previous concussion. Him losing confidence in the playoffs is not related.

No real way of knowing if it does or not.

What I do know, is that his sudden decline in not only output but in offensive zone prowess began long before the playoffs started. He has been a totally different player for months now. In fact, ever since that one game he missed for waking up with a neck kink or whatever, he's seemed completely different. No idea why.

OnlyTruth

Objectivity&Justice
Dec 2, 2013
Or maybe, and I may just be going out on a huge limb here, teams play tighter defense in the playoffs?

I was thinking the same and I'm sure there is some truth to that. But I also remember that he really declined after that neck thing that he had supposedly in his sleep.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Why are you still complaining about Nash? He had a great game in game 2.

I really wish the league wasn't secretive about injuries too because it leads to all kinds of speculation.

Erm, it's to prevent targeting injuries. So I am glad that they are secretive.

Targeting injuries is much worse than internet speculation.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I actually think it's somewhat positive that they haven't declared him done for the season as opposed to "indefinitely", though indefinitely could actually be longer.

Really don't like the secrecy in the NHL - injuries should be disclosed like every other major sport. It does a disservice to the fans.

May I ask how?

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
football does the same thing hockey does, during crunch time they don't tell the real injury. they just don't do absurd things like "upper or lower" body injury. they just tell you something outright false.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Nash was fine this year. Staal is fine. Crosby is fine. Etc.

ehhh, I think Sid is not the same as before the injury concussion.

I think it's taken quite a bit out him her really.

Nash Concussion wasn't that series. Staal, it's taken a long time to get back to where he was but a lot of that has to do with the eye injury as well.

I'm a big believer of guys that sustain major concussions are no longer the player they were in the past.

Something is taken from them. The air of invincibility is no longer with them as they now know first hand that it can be taken away in an instant.

Unfortunately, as they progress throughout their careers, they are an injury waiting to happen.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Because people forget that hockey is a business first and foremost. The Rangers are protecting their business interest at the moment. They don't care what the fans think regarding the secrecy of Zucc's injury.

I agree with the Rangers.

I don't care to know what his ailments are either.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
ehhh, I think Sid is not the same as before the injury concussion.

I think it's taken quite a bit out him her really.

Nash Concussion wasn't that series. Staal, it's taken a long time to get back to where he was but a lot of that has to do with the eye injury as well.

I'm a big believer of guys that sustain major concussions are no longer the player they were in the past.

Something is taken from them. The air of invincibility is no longer with them as they now know first hand that it can be taken away in an instant.

Unfortunately, as they progress throughout their careers, they are an injury waiting to happen.

That is sometimes correct and sometimes incorrect. Every situation is different. You could say the same thing about knee or back injuries as well. Still Taveras came back from his concussion to play well. Jeff Carter's concussions did not stop him from dominating us. Since I personally have had some concussions from playing my general assumption is that most athletes playing a sport like hockey/football have had a concussion along the way. Nash just had his best season ever after having two concussions last season.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
No real way of knowing if it does or not.

What I do know, is that his sudden decline in not only output but in offensive zone prowess began long before the playoffs started. He has been a totally different player for months now. In fact, ever since that one game he missed for waking up with a neck kink or whatever, he's seemed completely different. No idea why.

5 goals over his last 22 regular season games. Wouldn't have even hit 20 goals if he scored at that pace all season.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
5 goals over his last 22 regular season games. Wouldn't have even hit 20 goals if he scored at that pace all season.

It's so weird how it's like a tale of two players this year; and there wasn't even any incident that can be pinpointed as a catalyst.

I mean, we have that sudden absence from that one game due to neck stiffness that kinda came out of nowhere and left us all a bit scratching our heads, and that really is the point in which his decline happened; but that's just more a line on a chart then an explanation.

And I had been so excited with what I had seen from him the first 2/3rd's or whatever of this season. He was doing all of those little things offensively that we had been dying to see him do. He was going to the net, battling in front, skating in the offensive zone with a purpose. He just seemed like a man on a mission and was unstoppable -- almost with what we see from Ovi.

And then it changed. It ceased. He suddenly became a carbon copy of what we had seen last season. The skating straight in and firing into the chest etc. All of those things that made him successful up to that point were no longer being acted upon. And I don't know why.

There are always things such as gripping the stick too tightly or just seeming snake bitten that stars go through sometimes when they feel the pressure. We can also say teams started paying attention to him more etc etc. But to me that doesn't quite explain the changes we've seen from him. Because it's his whole approach that's changed.

If you compared tape from the first 2/3rds to the last third, the differences would be so marked and remarkable. They would stand out so much. And it's not like the coaches wouldn't be showing him this tape and how obvious it is that he was then going to the net, or battling along the boards, or getting to the right areas, or blah blah blah, and you would think he'd have an aha moment and be like "oh yeah, I remember all those things I had done" and begin to once again approach things that way.

But that's not what happened. I'm sure he knows exactly the differences in the style he has played between the two segments. Yet that knowledge isn't enough to change it. That's what leaves me boggled. And the thing is; I don't blame him. I honestly think he's doing the best he can. When it was learned he had a nagging injury last year that made him fear the battle, I believed it. When I saw him slay out there this year I was certain that he was back, and that his injuries were a valid excuse for his performance last year. But then it so suddenly regressed back. I don't know why. But would it surprise me that there is something significant nagging him? It has to be. Just like it was last year. We know his capabilities when he feels healthy and see how much it can drop when he's not. And I do believe both last year and this year is Nash unhealthy vs healthy. So I wouldn't find it hard to believe that the latter part of this year was also back to unhealthy. I simply don't know why, or what or to what degree.

I just know the difference in play is stark. I'm not just talking numbers. I'm talking his entire style of play. And I don't think it's by choice. I firmly believe he's doing the best he can, and doing what he can, and I think we all can ***** to the moon about what we want to see him do, or blast him to oblivion for being a playoff choker etc, but I think it's unfair. Because I don't think it's because of any lack of will or desire.

So anyway, yeah, this is one hell of a rambling long ass "tl/dr" post. Guess I just wanted to get all my Nash thoughts out. Cause I'm rooting for him and loved what he had done most of the season. But I worry for him, and can't help wondering if his concussion symptoms are to blame for his once again playing with reservation.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
It's so weird how it's like a tale of two players this year; and there wasn't even any incident that can be pinpointed as a catalyst.

I mean, we have that sudden absence from that one game due to neck stiffness that kinda came out of nowhere and left us all a bit scratching our heads, and that really is the point in which his decline happened; but that's just more a line on a chart then an explanation.

And I had been so excited with what I had seen from him the first 2/3rd's or whatever of this season. He was doing all of those little things offensively that we had been dying to see him do. He was going to the net, battling in front, skating in the offensive zone with a purpose. He just seemed like a man on a mission and was unstoppable -- almost with what we see from Ovi.

And then it changed. It ceased. He suddenly became a carbon copy of what we had seen last season. The skating straight in and firing into the chest etc. All of those things that made him successful up to that point were no longer being acted upon. And I don't know why.

There are always things such as gripping the stick too tightly or just seeming snake bitten that stars go through sometimes when they feel the pressure. We can also say teams started paying attention to him more etc etc. But to me that doesn't quite explain the changes we've seen from him. Because it's his whole approach that's changed.

If you compared tape from the first 2/3rds to the last third, the differences would be so marked and remarkable. They would stand out so much. And it's not like the coaches wouldn't be showing him this tape and how obvious it is that he was then going to the net, or battling along the boards, or getting to the right areas, or blah blah blah, and you would think he'd have an aha moment and be like "oh yeah, I remember all those things I had done" and begin to once again approach things that way.

But that's not what happened. I'm sure he knows exactly the differences in the style he has played between the two segments. Yet that knowledge isn't enough to change it. That's what leaves me boggled. And the thing is; I don't blame him. I honestly think he's doing the best he can. When it was learned he had a nagging injury last year that made him fear the battle, I believed it. When I saw him slay out there this year I was certain that he was back, and that his injuries were a valid excuse for his performance last year. But then it so suddenly regressed back. I don't know why. But would it surprise me that there is something significant nagging him? It has to be. Just like it was last year. We know his capabilities when he feels healthy and see how much it can drop when he's not. And I do believe both last year and this year is Nash unhealthy vs healthy. So I wouldn't find it hard to believe that the latter part of this year was also back to unhealthy. I simply don't know why, or what or to what degree.

I just know the difference in play is stark. I'm not just talking numbers. I'm talking his entire style of play. And I don't think it's by choice. I firmly believe he's doing the best he can, and doing what he can, and I think we all can ***** to the moon about what we want to see him do, or blast him to oblivion for being a playoff choker etc, but I think it's unfair. Because I don't think it's because of any lack of will or desire.

So anyway, yeah, this is one hell of a rambling long ass "tl/dr" post. Guess I just wanted to get all my Nash thoughts out. Cause I'm rooting for him and loved what he had done most of the season. But I worry for him, and can't help wondering if his concussion symptoms are to blame for his once again playing with reservation.

I agree with a lot of this except that I think it's pretty clear that the change happened right after the neck injury when Bogosian roughed him up. He got injured there and he hasn't been the same since. I think that's the answer quite plainly.

I do also think he's different than he was last year at this point - it's not exactly a carbon copy situation. Right now, he's somewhere between where he was last playoffs and where he was most of this regular season. Closer to where he was last playoffs, but not there.

Either way, I think it's way too early for it to even be useful to discuss how Zucc may or may not be effected by his current injury long-term. He and Nash are two different people, and that alone is enough room for totally opposite reactions.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
I agree with a lot of this except that I think it's pretty clear that the change happened right after the neck injury when Bogosian roughed him up. He got injured there and he hasn't been the same since. I think that's the answer quite plainly.

I do also think he's different than he was last year at this point - it's not exactly a carbon copy situation. Right now, he's somewhere between where he was last playoffs and where he was most of this regular season. Closer to where he was last playoffs, but not there.

Either way, I think it's way too early for it to even be useful to discuss how Zucc may or may not be effected by his current injury long-term. He and Nash are two different people, and that alone is enough room for totally opposite reactions.

Oh totally. That's what sucks about concussions, is their unpredictability and complete lack of accuracy in comparison. One that seems slight can linger and kill a career. One that seems severe could abate in half the expected time and never again impact the player. It's almost a futile exercise trying to predict the after effects and longevity.

In the case of Zucc, he's young and without a large history, so it is my hopes that by next season he will be rearing and ready to go and be the same Zucc we know and love. And hell, though I firmly don't believe it's gonna happen, he can still surprise and be back in the Finals or whatever for all we know. But of course, again, futile exercise. But I don't fear his career or his not returning to form. I'm confident he will. But time will tell of course.

And just one last comment on the Nash thing; I've heard others use the roughing up from Bogosian as the pinpoint but it's just something I don't remember happening all that much. Is there an easily accessible clip of that play? Thanks.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
If I'm Zuuc I don't want anyone outside myself, my doctor and the Rangers knowing a damn thing.

The fans need and deserve to know exactly ZERO at this point.

Onion Boy

Jan 29, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
After watching the first 3 games of this series, I realized that Zuke is the forward we could least afford to have lost. He really is a game-changer.

Problematique

Apr 3, 2011
Australia
tumblr_lfsqif5W2Z1qe1wk7o1_500.jpg

Help us, Mats Zuccarello, you're our only hope.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Again, I love Zucc, but if this team is crapping out because he is injured, the Rangers are the definition of a Paper Tiger.

Disagree. He's at worst our 3rd best forward, he's our most creative player, one of our most effective forecheckers, extremely important for the transition game. Hes sorely missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad