Zubov vs Gonchar

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
...And a fair share of Nashville 1st pairing D-Men, along with a total share of Team Canada D-Men, got elite defensive partners, so I don't exactly know where you're going, or why you're trying to go somewhere...

The question is whether his skating issues have been mitigated by the quality of his partners.

He's never really been put in the position of having to play with a weaker skater.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Ryan Suter

The question is whether his skating issues have been mitigated by the quality of his partners.

He's never really been put in the position of having to play with a weaker skater.

Ryan Suter's performance after leaving Nashville over the course of a full season does not seem to support your view. Nashville usually had solid skaters on defence.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/s/suterry01.html

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Your interpretaion not mine.

Shea Weber:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/w/webersh01.html

Double Olympic Gold, played ahead of P.K. Subban in 2014 even though not as fast in terms of straight ahead forward speed. 2010 NHL surface, 2014 International surface made no difference.

Skating is not a question of straight ahead speed only for defensemen. Backward skating,skating in harmony with his partner, turns to both sides - smallest possible radius, efficient lateral movement, movement in tight quarters,and more.

Hockey smart skating as opposed to entertaining skating.

Perhaps my definition of "excellent skating" was narrow, and/or lacked perspective. However it becomes a little difficult no? You said "at least excellent", can one really be considered an excellent skater without being fast? Even considering your additionnal criteria, shouldnt an excellent skater fulfill every characteristic, which includes high speed and acceleration? Seems like we could stretch this one out over a whole thread. Nevertheless, you made a good point.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Thank You

Perhaps my definition of "excellent skating" was narrow, and/or lacked perspective. However it becomes a little difficult no? You said "at least excellent", can one really be considered an excellent skater without being fast? Even considering your additionnal criteria, shouldnt an excellent skater fulfill every characteristic, which includes high speed and acceleration? Seems like we could stretch this one out over a whole thread. Nevertheless, you made a good point.

Thank you. Fast(speed) and efficient are not the same quality.Lidstrom was not speedburner fast but in terms of efficient he would be top 5). Lot of fast forwards and defensemen who can be relied upon to skate themselves out of position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->