Celebrity Death: Zsa Zsa Gabor, 99

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
R.I.P. You would think the big "shocker" next would have to be the Queen unless it is someone completely out of the blue.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
She was most known for being a crazy woman that slapped a cop over a traffic pullover I believe it was.

And an infamous Urban Legend where she had a cat on her lap and asked Johnny Carson asked if he would like to pet her...Johnny replied, sure, move the cat

RIP

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
she was still alive? RIP

looks like only keith richards will be making it out of 2016 alive

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
she was still alive? RIP

looks like only keith richards will be making it out of 2016 alive

Not only still alive, but she survived a car accident that left her partially paralyzed over a decade ago and also had her leg amputated 5 years ago. One tough old pretentious snob of a beauty queen :amazed: Gotta give her props.

Married her current husband in the 80s and said he'd be the last one - was true to her word.

BTW, she was indeed an actress and that's how she initially made her name in America.

As for my generation - she was a Hollywood Square, that's what I knew her for before she slapped the cop.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
She was a minor movie actress who became one of the first "brand" celebrities. She had the dialect ("dah-link" for darling, for example), the look (one could call her "poodle blonde"), the one-liners (when asked how many husbands she had, she replied: "You mean apart from my own?"), and she possessed an amazing talent for self-promotion. Her biggest accomplishment, such as it is, was to help get the whole "celebrity" ball rolling. She was famous for being famous.

Re Carson: Best blank stare ever.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Zsa Zsa had it rough the past couple of years. I think she had to have her leg amputated at some point. You felt bad just looking at her. RIP.

edit: I knew she had it bad. Saw this on Reddit:

Zsa Zsa Gabor has had a tough go since a 2002 car accident left her partially paralyzed.

In 2010, she underwent hip replacement surgery, but complications led to her amputation.

Suffered a stroke in 2005

Zsa Zsa Gabor has extreme dementia. Gabor has not been able to speak for quite some time and is believed to live a very quiet, lonely life inside her private residence. It is unknown whether or not she has many visitors.

Last edited:

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Always thought is was Zsa Zsa in Green Acres, but it was Eva.

As a child, I did as well. I watched it in the mornings on Nickelodeon before I went to school (saw a lot of those old shows that way), and only knew Zsa Zsa's name. One day I noticed the credits and saw Eva, and realized they were sisters.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Re: Green Acres and there being two sisters... I always figured Eva was her real name and Zsa Zsa was a nickname of sorts. Turns out, like others have said, there were two of them. Of course, I was six when that show went off the air.

Anyway I believe kihei sums it up best in saying she helped create the cukture of celebrity for celebrity's sake.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Re: Green Acres and there being two sisters... I always figured Eva was her real name and Zsa Zsa was a nickname of sorts. Turns out, like others have said, there were two of them. Of course, I was six when that show went off the air.

Anyway I believe kihei sums it up best in saying she helped create the cukture of celebrity for celebrity's sake.

Well, let's be fair to her...the media created the culture of being famous for being famous. She was merely the catalyst. She was a throwback - intentionally - to the glamour and excess of Hollywood of the 1920s and 30s. The media ate that up, along with the controversy that could help them sell their product. It really isn't the ones who are famous for no reason who are to blame, ultimately - it's the media that sells them and the consumers who become absorbed in them. I've never watched an episode of The Kardashians or anything of that sort, I don't fawn over famous people, and I often wonder why anyone cares when newspapers or magazines tell us sultry details about their private lives (my reality TV interest was born with and ended with season 3 of The Real World). But I've come to realize many people live vicariously through the lives of others they don't even know, they idolize people for all the wrong reasons, and they aspire to someday also be famous so they can bask in the admiration of others (they don't realize how many people actually look down upon that kind of behavior). I don't know what causes this, but it is what it is. But don't blame the faux celebrity for it - they're simply there. Yeah, some like Paris Hilton or the Kardashians may foster it for profit, but they didn't really start it. Blaming Zsa Zsa for being famous for nothing much is like blaming a car for the driver running into your rear end.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Well, let's be fair to her...the media created the culture of being famous for being famous. She was merely the catalyst. She was a throwback - intentionally - to the glamour and excess of Hollywood of the 1920s and 30s. The media ate that up, along with the controversy that could help them sell their product. It really isn't the ones who are famous for no reason who are to blame, ultimately - it's the media that sells them and the consumers who become absorbed in them. I've never watched an episode of The Kardashians or anything of that sort, I don't fawn over famous people, and I often wonder why anyone cares when newspapers or magazines tell us sultry details about their private lives (my reality TV interest was born with and ended with season 3 of The Real World). But I've come to realize many people live vicariously through the lives of others they don't even know, they idolize people for all the wrong reasons, and they aspire to someday also be famous so they can bask in the admiration of others (they don't realize how many people actually look down upon that kind of behavior). I don't know what causes this, but it is what it is. But don't blame the faux celebrity for it - they're simply there. Yeah, some like Paris Hilton or the Kardashians may foster it for profit, but they didn't really start it. Blaming Zsa Zsa for being famous for nothing much is like blaming a car for the driver running into your rear end.

One, I didn't "Blame" anyone.

Two, you're correct.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown

I was born in '82 so their time was completely before I was around. I only knew Zsa Zsa's name because of the cop-slapping incident, naturally, and aside from Green Acres had never heard of Eva.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad