Zone Start question

Discussion in 'By The Numbers' started by Filthy Dangles, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Filthy Dangles

Filthy Dangles Registered User

Can't really find an answer to this maybe someone knows. Is it just that first faceoff to begin a shift that gets counted or do all faceoffs for the duration of that shift get counted?

2. WillOverskill

WillOverskill Registered User

ZSs generally include all faceoffs that occur while a player is on the ice, and are pretty much the only on-ice faceoff statistics still in use. They're all I record, since any more parameters remove most events. ZFs (zone finishes) used to be as common, and they include the faceoffs that occur as a player ends a shift. I assume the faceoff occurring as a player starts a shift might be called Shift Starts, but I doubt anyone measures those, given that most line changes occur on the fly.

3. Bumper

Bumper Registered User

fantasy technician
    is there a zone progress source since behindthenet went defunct? (it had starts and ends, whould could be combined for "progress/loss.") I used it. I miss it. help if you can.

4. Troy McClure

Troy McClure BPA is a lie

nothing of value
    But every player's d and o zone start percentage equals 100%. That means the only thing being counted are shift beginning with a faceoff beside either goalie.

I'd love to know what percentage of a player's shifts these stats are tracking. I bring this up because people use zone starts to talk about whether a player is being sheltered, but that seems to be zooming in way too much. Obviously, a shift beginning with a line change on the fly or with a neutral zone faceoff isn't being counted in these percentages. So are we really learning anything about a guy if only half the shifts he takes start with a faceoff near a goalie?