Zone Start question

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Can't really find an answer to this maybe someone knows. Is it just that first faceoff to begin a shift that gets counted or do all faceoffs for the duration of that shift get counted?

WillOverskill

Sep 13, 2018
ZSs generally include all faceoffs that occur while a player is on the ice, and are pretty much the only on-ice faceoff statistics still in use. They're all I record, since any more parameters remove most events. ZFs (zone finishes) used to be as common, and they include the faceoffs that occur as a player ends a shift. I assume the faceoff occurring as a player starts a shift might be called Shift Starts, but I doubt anyone measures those, given that most line changes occur on the fly.

Bumper

Apr 16, 2018
(Only) Halfway To Everywhere
is there a zone progress source since behindthenet went defunct? (it had starts and ends, whould could be combined for "progress/loss.") I used it. I miss it. help if you can.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
ZSs generally include all faceoffs that occur while a player is on the ice, and are pretty much the only on-ice faceoff statistics still in use. They're all I record, since any more parameters remove most events. ZFs (zone finishes) used to be as common, and they include the faceoffs that occur as a player ends a shift. I assume the faceoff occurring as a player starts a shift might be called Shift Starts, but I doubt anyone measures those, given that most line changes occur on the fly.
But every player's d and o zone start percentage equals 100%. That means the only thing being counted are shift beginning with a faceoff beside either goalie.

I'd love to know what percentage of a player's shifts these stats are tracking. I bring this up because people use zone starts to talk about whether a player is being sheltered, but that seems to be zooming in way too much. Obviously, a shift beginning with a line change on the fly or with a neutral zone faceoff isn't being counted in these percentages. So are we really learning anything about a guy if only half the shifts he takes start with a faceoff near a goalie?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad