Zone Deployment Optimization: An introduction to a new use in Corsi analysis

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I wrote an intro on a series of articles that have been very enlightening.
I have a series coming up soon on the Winnipeg Jets and optimizing zone deployment. When Muneeb Alam and I scraped the numbers, there was one former (and hopefully once again) Jet that came up. I decided that looking at this particular player's numbers would be both a fun exercise for me and an interesting preview for you.

Warning: this article will go deep into detail, so that I don't need to at the same extent in the future articles. Sorry about the length.

Without further ado, here is Alexander Burmistrov's face off conditional Corsi and just the surface at what I'm planning...
Find more here:
http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2014...ization-an-introduction-to-a-new-use-in-corsi

As always, questions, critiques, advice, etcetera are not just warranted, but appreciated.

Derfel*

I feel like I'm looking into the future. I like it. Thanks for this!

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
The question begging to be asked. Did the Jets (Noel) use Burmi appropriately in regards to zone starts?

Unholy goalie

Jul 11, 2011
Really interesting analysis that raises some intriguing questions!

First, just a nitpicky kind of thing.. but it might have made the graphs slightly easier to read if you had reorganised the legend so that comparables were next to each other since that was what was being asked of the reader when looking at the graph.

gC6dp5p.jpg

What I like about what you have written here is that it allows us to "chunk" a stat like Corsi by zone. There is a big difference between saying something like "Burmi's possession is great" and "Burmi's possession is great in the DZ, but less effective in the NZ and OZ". Going even further by examining FO losses and wins allows for a greater range of coaching options. With the data you presented there are a number of possible actions that could either boost Burmi's performance, make his usage more effective, or both. I really like how accessible these results are to video coaching or systems coaching.

What I'm also wondering about here is that 45 seconds is a relatively long time. There seems to be some variation over those 45 seconds with some of the more encouraging results happening at the tail end of that time period. Considering the average length of a shift, what might these results indicate? Also, is it worth considering that many NZFOs happen outside the bluelines? Should we be more particular about where those faceoffs are (e.g. something like DNZ for outside your own blueline and ONZ for outside the opposition blueline). I wonder if looking at the data this way would yield any significant differences.

Overall, really great work. Looking forward to the next instalment.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Very interesting. Any way of looking at teammates and their effect? One option might be to look at forward pairs. I'd like to see Kane-Burmi vs. Kane-Jokinen, etc. I think that the Jets and some other teams like the idea of forward pairs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->