Znaroks lousy coach?

jimstark

May 22, 2014
The nostalgia some fans have for Bykov is hilarious. He was chased out of the NT with pitchforks. Now they miss him.

These people think that Bykov will return the NT to former glory because he's intelligent and clean cut or some nonsense. He won't. Coaches do not have the ability to dramatically transform ingrained institutional and economic problems.

We can complain about little things like not playing Kucherov enough and Plotnikov too much. But this is not why they failed to hold the lead today. Bykov is not the quick and simple band-aid solution you are looking for.

I agree i dont understand why People start to talk about Bykov now...i understand he was part of the turnaround in Russian hockey from 2007 and then we won in 2008 and 2009 but then he failed big in 2010 and from what i understand he is no longer interested in coaching the NT

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
They got beat (barely) by Canada.

You would think this is some big upset that requires a genius coach to make sure it never happens again.

Canada has just been better for awhile that's all, but it's Canada for **** sakes, it isn't like some shocking thing that your team has been on the bad end of things against them for a little while.

The stuff you see around here sometimes.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
You Canadians won Labatt Canada Cup against a strong Soviet Squad 1987 thanks to Iron Mike, a great guy and coach. Never forget that. -Okay, Gretzky and Lemieux might have had something to do with it also. And Messiers' low antics. But the coach builds up a team and makes it win!

Born and raised in Tampa, lived there my whole life. But anyway Mike was always a good coach but the problem is that his behavior and reputation are better known than a winning track record in the same sense that people talk more about Kurt Cobain for the fact he killed himself more than what a great musician he was. Keenan took himself WAY too seriously and was so far into his own head that things became more about him than his team because he was SO concerned with winning power struggles and having things his way. He won the Cup with the NYR and then went on such a power trip for the rest of his career that it cost him what should have been a Bowman/Arbor-like legacy because he was a coach that should have won multiple Cups with multiple teams.

You KNOW it's bad whenever the press has to give you a cool sounding nickname in order to justify what an ******* you are.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
The nostalgia some fans have for Bykov is hilarious. He was chased out of the NT with pitchforks. Now they miss him.

These people think that Bykov will return the NT to former glory because he's intelligent and clean cut or some nonsense. He won't. Coaches do not have the ability to dramatically transform ingrained institutional and economic problems.

We can complain about little things like not playing Kucherov enough and Plotnikov too much. But this is not why they failed to hold the lead today. Bykov is not the quick and simple band-aid solution you are looking for.
I never said that he should come back. Still, I think he's a better coach than Znarok, more cerebral. 4 medals, including 2 golds is not bad.

jimstark

May 22, 2014
Kucherov playing less than Plotnikov has to do with the penalties
Russia never got anyting going in the 3 by taking 3 penalties just after eachother...they went totally out of balance sadly at the wrong time never beeing abel to calm down taking over the game like they did in the second

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
russia does not hire the best coach available. instead of the selection nature of capitalism they use their old solid corruption system to find the next idiot. sadly thats how important jobs get handed out (not only in russia, but especially in russia)

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
russia does not hire the best coach available. instead of the selection nature of capitalism they use their old solid corruption system to find the next idiot. sadly thats how important jobs get handed out (not only in russia, but especially in russia)

One can't say Znarok is a full-on failure but his attitude is becoming really annoying. He obstinately cannot admit his own mistakes. He never takes responsibility for the final result, he thinks he's untouchable. the RIHF should teach him a lesson and fire him, these are not the results the fans expect from Team Russia.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014

There are countries far worse than Russia in this respect. One of them is Russia's neighbour.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
yes, he is terrible.

but who should coach russia is the question.....perhaps a north-american coach or someone from finland.

:laugh: that arrogant foreigners are better than russians attitude is amazing.

Why? What foreign coach is better than a bunch of russian coaches who are just aren't coaching the NT now?

The problem is goving the job to the guy who wins the Gagarin Cup.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

You obviously gain your knowledge about Russia from western cheap propaganda. You won't get far in this discussion with those "facts" about Russia.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I agree i dont understand why People start to talk about Bykov now...i understand he was part of the turnaround in Russian hockey from 2007 and then we won in 2008 and 2009 but then he failed big in 2010 and from what i understand he is no longer interested in coaching the NT

Bykov was our first true 'player's coach'. He did well at first, but (along with Zakharkin) soon because too confident and arrogant.
They did absolutely NOTHING in preparation for 2010 olympics, and it showed on the ice. From that point on it was obvious he had lost the confidence of his players.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Bykov was our first true 'player's coach'. He did well at first, but (along with Zakharkin) soon because too confident and arrogant.
They did absolutely NOTHING in preparation for 2010 olympics, and it showed on the ice. From that point on it was obvious he had lost the confidence of his players.

So you think Znarok is a better coach? If so, in what way? Just wondering.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
So you think Znarok is a better coach? If so, in what way? Just wondering.

Yea, to an extent.
Znarok isn't ideal but at least he has more structure and strategy than Bykov.
Bykov was the right coach at the right time. Player's coach. Breath of fresh air for the NT. But I'd say we won 2008 and 2009 WC on talent as much as any tactical brilliance his part. But when true quality leadership was needed at 2010 OG, he was awful. No preparation, no adjustments, no scouting, nothing.
Remember that short summer camp every team was allowed to have before the 2010 olympics? While other countries were working hard, we had that stupid fan appreciation joke of a scrimmage. That would've never happened under Znarok.

Last edited:

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Yea, to an extent.
Znarok isn't ideal but at least he has more structure and strategy than Bykov.
Bykov was the right coach at the right time. Player's coach. Breath of fresh air for the NT. But I'd say we won 2008 and 2009 WC on talent as much as any tactical brilliance his part. But when true quality leadership was needed at 2010 OG, he was awful. No preparation, no adjustments, no scouting, nothing.
Remember that short summer camp every team was allowed to have before the 2010 olympics? While other countries were working hard, we had that stupid fan appreciation joke of a scrimmage. That would've never happened under Znarok.

So you think Bykov is too soft and 'takes it easy' on the players?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
So you think Bykov is too soft and 'takes it easy' on the players?

That is only a part of the deal with him. He is also not able to adjust, not good at composing lines of star players, has no idea about defence, a statue behind the bench with no energy, emotion or directions coming towards players during the game.

Znarok is a 'simple Russian man' as many Russian fans term it.

Not an important question, but I am slightly confused. Is Znarok an ethnic Russian or ethnic Latvian?

He did represent Latvia internationally as a player (as well as the Soviet national team) and played for Dinamo Riga for many years. However, as he was born in Ust-Katav in Chelyabinsk, is he and his family Russians (which seems to be the most likely explanation) or in fact Latvian? (which is theoretically possible, as many Latvians, Estonians and Lithuanians were deported by Soviet authorities from the Baltics in the early 1940s and late 1940s)

Thank you in advance for the clarification. :)

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The Russians always blame the coach- but they need to focus on the players more. Enough of always blaming the coach. The key players of Russia failed to get it done.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
The Russians always blame the coach- but they need to focus on the players more. Enough of always blaming the coach. The key players of Russia failed to get it done.

you missed the point of the thread. Whatever you think about Russians, evaluating coaches is a completely different subject than evaluating players. That is why they dress differently on the bench. Every year, NHL teams fire 6-8 coaches. But when was the last time an NHL team fired an entire roster of players? Thus, the relevance of your comment.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Plotnikov ice time: 17:20
Kucherov: 14:44

This was my complaint also, 2 goals were scored against the bottom 2 lines late in 3rd against canada at the WC to seal the defeat. Plotnikov was direct responsibility of one of them. Who ever was the author of the line rolling needs to GTFO.

I would like to see Vorobyov get a shot. I am also open to Keenan, who was praised by the Russian players in MMG for employing a more soviet style of hockey than most of the other Russian coaches.

I know Atas is not keen on foreign coaches, understandably. But Keenan won the Gagarin, the Stanley and has a wealth of international experience. He can deal properly with the NHL and KHL guys. Also I know that he was heavily invested in Russian cultural learning on and off the ice. He said he was watching up to several KHL games a day on TV. Russian players respect him -not merely some NA coach who comes here to get a pay check and GTFO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->