Znaroks lousy coach?

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
ff19_znaroks.jpg

Olegs Znaroks lousy coach?:)
Maybe he latvian agent?
I think Team Russia can play better with better coach!

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
yes, he is terrible.

but who should coach russia is the question.....perhaps a north-american coach or someone from finland.

kuzminov

May 6, 2017
Ufa
He isn't the coach, actually. I assume the main role in his tandem is in hands of Vitolinsh. Just watch what he's doing all the game.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
2-0 leads are dropping like crazy in the NHL playoffs.

I'm not sure if it's coaching or simply what happens when a quality losing team makes a big push.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Russians play no true tactic or style

They would win a lot more tournaments if they had a Canadian coach

XokkeyGuy

Apr 30, 2013
Russians play no true tactic or style

They would win a lot more tournaments if they had a Canadian coach

Maybe just me, but even if I liked Bykov a lot, I must say Znarok has had more of a strategy which you can see clearer and which he has imposed over the years and the players have learned. It felt like other things got in the way in the World Cup semi and today - but the players Russia has maybe should just have something different.

By the way, Bykov has ended his coaching career so I guess he wouldn´t take the national team job even if he was asked?

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
bykov crapped the bed worse than znarok. i like this vicious circle of changing coaches like gloves and every time expecting some miracle. jesus. good luck with a new coach, i guess.

XokkeyGuy

Apr 30, 2013
bykov crapped the bed worse than znarok. i like this vicious circle of changing coaches like gloves and every time expecting some miracle. jesus. good luck with a new coach, i guess.

I also believe in keeping a coach for a longer period, which was also the case with Bykov and now Znarok, but Bilyaletdinov should never have been asked, he was a disgrace on level with the post-Tikhonov/pre-Bykov coaches.

But now that Znarok has had so many tournaments, including a World Cup, I feel like he hasn´t shown too much - along with creating bad relations with kovy/radulov. I don´t know. I kind of lost interest and ideas for Team Russia more and more after the losses in Sochi and Moscow.. We all had high hopes when Bykov started bringing back the NHLers and winning stuff.

As mentioned in the Russia thread, maybe there is a need of a system change which gives the coach more authority and being able to build a team over the year? Fetisov said about two years ago mentioning a plan of setting the age of leaving for NHL from KHL to 28 - radical idea but that's maybe what is needed.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
2-4 with Canada is real picture of Russian hockey. Has nothing to do with the coach.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Russia should hire Mike Keenan.

Iron Mike, aka Captain Bligh, would be a joke...There's be a Russian style Mutiny on the Bounty, in short order, and rightly so...

Captain Bligh's been set adrift ( Figuratively speaking ) in a rowboat/ slow-boat to China...

Translation : Keenan's coaching 4'th tier Asian players, employing his tired/ outmoded tactics...which seems apropos!

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
There are just about 5 times more professional Canadian hockey players - more to choose from. Canada just has more quantity, they can customize their team. Plus they're extremely fast skaters, the Russian D just can't keep up with them. Alas, physically the Russian team gets outplayed. We just can't seem to beat Canada - other teams who lose to us get it done, but ... yeah. Really disappointing loss today.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
I vote for Bragin

Bykov is so much more intellectual than Znarok - he makes a much better impression as a person and human being. But I guess it comes down to the players, Canada just has crazy speeds, I don't think any team can match their skating.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
No one should ever.... EVER have to suffer that. The fact Keenan has to be in China right now to coach a hockey team tells you all you need to know about him.

You Canadians won Labatt Canada Cup against a strong Soviet Squad 1987 thanks to Iron Mike, a great guy and coach. Never forget that. -Okay, Gretzky and Lemieux might have had something to do with it also. And Messiers' low antics. But the coach builds up a team and makes it win!

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Bykov is so much more intellectual than Znarok - he makes a much better impression as a person and human being. But I guess it comes down to the players, Canada just has crazy speeds, I don't think any team can match their skating.

Tut tut...looks are deceiving...

Mano a Mano...Team NA Young'ins was considerably faster...than any incarnation of TC...

Our A-Team can roll four lines...high tempo/short shifts...sooner or later, it wears our opponents out...

That, plus our transition game...the rapidity in which our D get the puck outa our zone and up to our streaking forwards=the real secret

Last edited:

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Loffter
You Canadians won Labatt Canada Cup against a strong Soviet Squad 1987 thanks to Iron Mike, a great guy and coach.

Even WAY back when Keenan coached TC's were winning...he wasn't well like by his fellow Canucks...

His sleight on Stevie Y was one reason...there were others...

He's kinda a more contemporary version of Eddie Shore ( Hockey's version of Ty Cobb )...and most were happy when Iron Mike crossed the Pond...

xxx
PS: Without bothering to check...I'm thinking Glen Sather coached our 1987 CC team...Keenan prolly coached our 1991 CC team...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad